Odd ViP722 Behavior

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Bobby H

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
Oklahoma
I got up this morning about found my ViP722 receiver turned on and set on channel 500 -a pay per view preview channel. What's odd is I shut down the thing last night close to 11:00pm with it set on channel 107, Comedy Central.

The receiver seems to work just fine, but I'm wondering if E* pushed some new software to it or did something else. Anyone with more expert knowledge of this gear have an idea of what's going on?

I came by early this morning and used my remote to order you a PPV and forgot to change it back to comedy central. :D

Seriously though, have you had any other issues related to a neighbor's remote being on the same frequency and randomly having your receiver pick up a command?

I did and it was annoying for about a week, so I changed the code and it never happened again. Someone could have just got service nearby.

Several of my neighbors have Dish Network, but I've never had any issues with remotes from neighbors' systems conflicting with mine.

I was wondering if the receiver had gone through an overnight firmware upgrade at 3:00am, reset itself but stayed on the rest of the night. I seem to remember my old Echostar SD receiver doing something a little similar and winding up on channel 101.

We didn't have any power outages overnight. If the power conditioning system I have had tripped off due to a surge it would have kept power cut off to the whole home theater system until I had manually reset the thing.

Could dying batteries in the remote cause this sort of issue to occur?

Go to menu, 6,5 and check purchase history and see if there is s charged for a ppv, if so it could indicated a conflict with a neighbors remote set to the same address

Bob

Go to menu, 6,5 and check purchase history and see if there is s charged for a ppv, if so it could indicated a conflict with a neighbors remote set to the same address

Bob
Odds are nothing unusual will be there, since it was a preview channel.

If it's a one time thing, I'd ignore it. But for me it took about a week of annoying mysterious things going on, and as soon as I changed the remote setting it was fixed.

How do you change the address settings on the remote?

I have been having more random trouble the last two days. Swapped out the existing batteries in both remotes with 8 brand new AAA batteries just to cancel out that possibility. Nevertheless, I'm coming home from work and finding my receiver turned on. The thing started surfing through channels while I was watching a baseball game on WGN America -and then it clicked back to WGN. Weird.

I'm sorry, but neither the method explained in that previous thread or what I could find at Dish Network's web site are working with my ViP722.

Basically, I can change the address on the remotes from the default of "1" to something else. But then the receiver itself won't respond to either the TV1 or TV2 remotes anymore. I end up having to switch their addresses back to "1".

What do you do to get the different remote address to establish itself inside the receiver?

I figured it out on my own, no thanks to all the conflicting information I found elsewhere on the Dish Network web site and hits from search engines.

What I did to get things to work correctly (on the ViP722):

1. Have both remotes with you in front of the receiver.

2. Press the "System Info" button on the receiver's front panel behind the door on the right end of the receiver.

3. Hold down the "SAT" button on the remote until all lights at the top of the remote begin to flash.

4. While those buttons are flashing, select a new address number on the number key (any number between 1 and 15; I chose a single digit number).

5. Then hit the pound key (the "#" button).

6. Then hit the record button. Yes. You MUST press the record button. Contrary to one of the tech notes on the Dish Network web site, the ViP722 receiver will not see the new address without pressing the record button.

7. You'll see the address number change on the Info screen for one remote. That's when you know you really are making progress. But you are NOT done yet. The other remote is still stuck at the old address getting mucked up by the neighbors. Repeat the same sequence for the other remote control.

8. Using the TV2 remote alone for an address change will not apply changes for all remotes. Maybe this works for some receivers. It does NOT work with the ViP722. At least it does not work with mine. Each remote must have its address changed individually.

FWIW, I had some fun doing random channel surfing with my UHF TV2 remote just to see if I could irritate the hell out of what ever person was granting me that favor over the last couple days. Maybe he's on the phone with Dish Network's tech support. I just hope he doesn't select the new remote control address number I selected. He has a 1 in 15 shot.

That info is on the dish site - and that's how it did it as well. I don't know what's the deal with item #6. I only had to change one remote though, because I use a two-tv setup. One is IR one is UHF. It doesn't sound like you are getting IR interference. Are both remotes UHF??? Do you have a 1 tv setup with PIP, or do you use 2 tv's?

Glad you got it working. If you use the A/B switch on the back you get another set of 15 addresses.

The first search hits that came up on the Dish Network web site insisted that you did not have to press the record button when finalizing the remote control address number change. Perhaps that might be true with some receivers, but it certainly is not the case with my ViP722.

Through trouble shooting, it was only the act of pressing the record button that caused the receiver to actually recognize and change the address number of that remote (after doing all the other steps on the list). And I had to repeat the procedure for each remote. I had my ViP722 set to single mode. I switched both remotes to the same address number just for the sake of organization. The "TV1" remote is IR based. The "TV2" remote is UHF Pro Band.

Happily, I haven't had anymore "the receiver has a mind of its own" mysteries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)