OETA - Gone?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
It is still up that I know of and it shouldn't go anywhere for a while. There are 14 translators that rely on either the sat or fiber feeds. Last time I heard anything not all the translators had access to fiber. Thanks to the fall in oil and gas prices the past year, the State has a $1.5 billion shortfall for FY2017 that starts tomorrow. The Legislature slashed OETA's budget by another 16%, nearly $600,000, so they didn't get the money to finish the transition.

Reactions: fred555
Is anyone else getting no signal on all the OETA Channels on 125W?

I will chime in, with another NADA. Went and checked after I had read about it elsewhere. I too hope it is temporary, as I did enjoy some their programming. And, if it is not temporary, I doubt any of us are going to expire because of it. :)

Reactions: fred555
Since Montana PBS and OETA co-habited the same transponder, I had a feeling OETA might be leaving since Montana PBS is currently broadcasting at two locations (11916 V 2398 and 12105 V 2398) and that was the only explanation I could come up with as to why. I wouldn't be surprised if 12105 V 2398 disappears shortly.

Guys it was mentioned that this year they are going to the V6 platform starting the switch to fiber for the main programming leaving ku. They are transferring everything to 103w c band for the backup feed look it for more details it was over at rick's site.

Fiber is nice,,, if you don't have to rely on it but around here it seems someone is always accidentely digging up a fiber main. I'm not sure switching to all fiber is the prudent way to go, they might end up regretting that decision. Just a couple of years ago a new fiber main was laid through the county using a main highway right-of-way. Sure enough just three months later the state decided to replace a bridge and widen the approaches for several hundred feet in each direction. One of the first casualties was the fiber. It got ripped the very first week of the project.

The fiber between Denver and KRMJ Grand Junction had issues, so we had no PBS OTA for a couple of days... So long as it's still working Sunday so I can DVR Heart of the World. I was hoping for more PBS's, but I'll take what I can still get I guess.

Last edited:
Damn, I turned to OETA last night and it was not there, I knew I didn't want to know why...

Unfortunately this is the future. Fiber is cheaper than satellite time. I believe OETV was leasing it from PBS they themselves who be using fiber at some point to link up their stations. There technology guy said more fiber, IP delivery is the in the works. The whole mux will be changing in the next couple of years or so. PBS is also trying to get Congress asking them to drop the c-band 103° feed which was created for backyard dish owners from way back when PBS programming was not available OTA to everyone. They claim that the number of c-band dish owners has dropped substantially and those viewers have moved on to the pizza dish or streaming.

The cost to have a 24 hour 365 day c-band transponder is astounding, especially a bird that has a pretty good location in the sky. PBS stated they would save a ton of money since funding from the Government is being cut back. The services on 125° will be there in some form which I hope would be the case. If they dump the 125° feeds and move to c-band, well that would be awful since most of us the KU bird signal. The HD quality looks great but our PBS station has two 6MHz frequencies for stuff. They have sub channels in their streams robbing the HD service bit rate and to make matters worse they don't even carry Create :( which I watch quite a bit. OETA's plan to use fiber was in the works they just needed the funding to do so and OETV did it so goodnight satellite..

Still not sure where they got the money from to finish it, this quick. I was told 6 months ago by a friend in engineering, it was still at least a year away if they got the funding.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)