Status
Please reply by conversation.

TRG

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 19, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
I currently don't have DVB-S2 capability but I have a quick question. I see a lot of comments about LPB but rarely about OETA. I'm considering an HD S2 receiver and a fixed 1 to 1.2 meter dish on 125W.

Would OETA reception be possible?

OETA | Home

I know I've mentioned this before but I'm a PBS junkie.:)

Yes OETA is possible. It's actually easier to tune than LPB. You see more comments about LPB because a lot of people have problems receiving the signal. I would go with the 1.2 meter dish if possible.

I have a 1.2m Primestar on 125 and get excellent reception of all the national PBS as well as OETA and LPB... but LPB STILL disappears every so often. :rolleyes:
OETA HD and SD come in good all the time. :)

Right, the Sonicview SV8000 doesn't tune DVB-s2 . Coolsat 8000/8100 , Solomend 800 PVR, AZbox HD series, are all popular choices , along with pci cards like the Prof 7500 or DVBworld 2104D ( too many to list ).
:)

You should have no problem with a 1.2. I get it solid on a DW 39 inch and a 2104D and watch it often.

I've always liked the programming on OETA. Ie it usually has a few programs that other PBS channels don't carry. I used to watch it all the time when it used to be DCII. However since they moved to DVB on AMC-21, I have a pretty hard time with it. I can generally pick up LPB 80-90% of the time, but I can only lock OETA about 50-60% of the time. Of course, right now, OETA is coming in stronger than LPB on my Diamond, but while I get error free signal for LPB on my TT3200 on LPB, I can't lock OETA with the 3200. So I'm not sure what the issue is with the OETA signal for me, perhaps footprint, but it seems to drift in and out more than LPB does. I wish they had kept it on AMC5.

EDIT: I'm one of those PBS junkies too, and tend to judge my TVRO success on the ability to find PBS programming (and also via my ability to find NFL games from one specific team, but that's another topic). It varies as things come and go, but I think now I'm seeing 20 different transponders on 6 different satellites with PBS channels. Some of those transponders have duplicated channels, but many of them also have multiple channels, so that's a tradeoff. Anyway, there is LOTS of PBS up there.

Last edited:
OETA does have a lot of original programming that you wont find on other PBS stations. One of my favorites is Fantastic Tulsa Films. It shows lots of historical footage dating back to the turn of the century and Tulsa's oil and art deco history.

OETA movie night on Fridays after Red Green and Doctor Who is great too. Lots of classic films in HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)