OETA Problems?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Which TP is OETA on via 125w?
Is it 12170 H 4441 3/4 s28psk? Not getting that here right now either, but it's cloudy & rainy...

OETA is on the vertical side

numbers escape me (since I havent had FTA in 2 years) but 12113 ish V 8703 sounds familiar

Just making a suggestion to help out I found it easier for me to get 103w c than 125w ku.
Thats fine and Jim Dandy but if you would read his post
I like OETA, sometimes they break off from PBS to show movies and local stuff that I find interesting.
He asked about OETA. That would make the national feed useless for him.

Thanks Tony, good to hear from you!
The coordinates I get are very similar on the PLL Lnbf, 12112 V 8702 1/2 S2-8PSK, pilot off.
On the 1m dish I am not getting a good enough lock for video, signal bounces from 20% to 50%. 45mph winds here right now with drizzle. I am too much of a wuss to try to fine-tune the dish today... Maybe tomorrow though... having Shaw (formerly Star Choice) install a DBS dish for their service in the afternoon so should be a good time for that sort of thing. Just hoping it doesn't snow!!

Reactions: Mr Tony
I've been watching Last of the Summer wine on OETA for 2 years now and I've noticed a marked decrease in the signal in the past 2 weeks. I have a Starchoice/winegard 3100 1m dish w/PLL LNB and microhd receiver in SW Ontario. The generic PBS channels all come in strong(74%), while OETA fluctuates between 15-40% or doesn't come in at all even in clear weather. For some reason I get better signal at night than during the day

Our household is a regular for OETA and we haven't experienced reception issues since install in July, apart from large thunderstorms with torrential downpours. This is with a fixed/dedicated 1.2m Patriot, Invacom SNH-031 LNBF and Manhatan RS-1933 receiver. I just checked the receiver at posting and it is about 75%, which is actually a bit higher than the the regular 70%.

I've been putting of a 1.2m purchase for a while now. Sounds like its time to bite the bullet, get one and fix it on 125W. Where did you get your 1.2m Patriot? Do you know how it compares with the 1.2m GeosatPRO?

I've been putting of a 1.2m purchase for a while now. Sounds like its time to bite the bullet, get one and fix it on 125W. Where did you get your 1.2m Patriot? Do you know how it compares with the 1.2m GeosatPRO?

The reason that I originally got into FTA is because of 125W. We couldn't get PBS with an antenna, so decided to try the FTA route.

I really don't know how the Patriot 1.2 m would compare to the Geosat Pro 1.2 m, it would be interesting to know. Most of what I've read about the Geosat Pro has been favorable.

Both of my Patriots were purchased from Rick's Satellites as I could go pickup the dish and save on the shipping costs.

From what I understand, Patriot is defunct- so new old stock is all to be had (i.e., once they're gone, they're gone). As for the dish setup, the mount on the back of the Patriot dish is quite heavy and extremely sturdy- probably sturdier than the dish itself.

My experience with FTA is going on 5 months now. In that time, I've had my first Patriot 1.2 m parked on 125W and have had very dependable reception for all available PBS on that satellite. The only dropouts have been during very heavy downpours and thunderstorms.

Until 6 months ago oeta worked fine in Ontario with my 36" dish. Now nothing at all. I've tried everything to no avail. I get all other channels including Montana and the new Aboriginal channel. They've definitely done something wrong.

In between OETA shows, the movie host BJ Wexler mentions that they have moved to a new transmitting facility. Could a less than perfectly aligned dish at their new facility (assuming that's where their uplink is)be the cause of the lowered strength?

In between OETA shows, the movie host BJ Wexler mentions that they have moved to a new transmitting facility. Could a less than perfectly aligned dish at their new facility (assuming that's where their uplink is)be the cause of the lowered strength?
I would say the change in signal strength is due to design and not accident. The intended recipients of the signal have commercial grade equipment and they don't need as much signal power for reliable reception.

Is operating the satellite signal at a reduced power level cheaper for OETA? The state of Oklahoma has been reducing state funding for OETA for the last few years, and has indicated a desire to eliminate funding altogether. OETA has been placed in weak economic shape as a result.

Here are a couple recent articles about the current funding situation at OETA:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/data...cle_79174d39-3227-5ba9-bc82-950979dca3eb.html
http://www.enidnews.com/news/oeta-h...cle_3afb7164-63b4-11e4-8610-1f4c19ecfe58.html

very odd an hour ago there was zero signal and now it's booming. nearly as strong as the other PBS transponders

very odd an hour ago there was zero signal and now it's booming. nearly as strong as the other PBS transponders
Noticed the same here. Was AWOL earlier, Thought it may have been the crappy weather (Strong winds and rain), but now BOOMING in..

Saw your post Conky and tried scanning it in - sure enough there it is now! Wonder what's up? (Not that I'm complaining;))

It looks like they may be needing to move to another tower and move their studio here in OKC. This might explain why there have been some problems with their feeds as they make the move. I did not know they shared a tower with our local Channel 9. I have been seeing some tower work going on, but I didn't know they were taking it down. That tower has an elevator in it that takes you half way up, then you have to climb the rest of the way to the top. I knew it was tall, but I did not know the exact height. I will try to make it by there and snap some pics of their tower.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts