Of Dish's 12 million subs, how many will order a 622?

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
In addition to new customers (anybody have a rough estimate of how many new DISH subs will want a 622?),

anyone have an estimate of how many of DISH's existing 12 million+ subs will want a 622?

With those numbers, what is the longest any exiting HD customer might need to wait to see a 622?

I.E., how long will the existing HD packages with a 942 be available?

Last edited:
There are 25,000,000 (WAG) of all types of receivers out in the wild. Most are currently MPEG2 and SD. It is probably a matter of who is the most stubborn. I see no compelling reason to give up my two HD receivers that only receive MPEG2 content.

This basicly means E* will have to come up with a sweeter deal or a total screwing (moving all HD to MPEG4) to get me to change. Therein lies the problem for dish. There are others that are as stubborn as I. I think the programming will be here for a while.

Another basic. The day I would come home to no HD because of a switch to MPEG4 will be the day I cancel dish. Just because I can.

One final thought. I will probably wait until the receivers I have die. At that point, dish will have to replace them with MPEG4 receivers under DHPP. Of course, they might die shortly before dish turns off MPEG2 HD.

My answer is that the HD MPEG2 basics will be around for years. Not 1 or 2.

Ray - you'r just not like us "must have fanatics"... I'm with you it will take a long time to totally convert.

Perhaps a little "inductive, flux-capacitor" reasoning with the receiver!

Oh, and I was a 921 beta tester. So I do enjoy "must have". I "just have" the basic HD pack, Voom and OTA's so I am quite happy until something really, really, really compelling in programming comes along. :smile:

Most of the orders they got was from people who use sites like SatelliteGuys. Most others don't even know there is such a thing as a 622. Not many people watch the Tech Chats.

The majority of 622 owners over the next year will not be existing customers it will be new customers.

mike123abc said:
I bet as soon as the supply problems are fixed the 622 will become Dish's only DVR...

Yes it will be, and all new customers will get a High Definition receiver no matter if they have a HDTV or not.

I will get convert

I currently have a 942 and I will convert to the 622 come April. I like what I read about the OTA improvements as I have some issues on a couple of the local channels signal strength.

I ordered 2-1 for my 622, and it arrived today at my door! Install date is not until 2-22, so I'm not opening it till then. I'm existing Dish HD customer and will most likely keep Gold HD package... Anyone know if the 1000 dish is coming in mail too or most likely from installer...

rc811002 said:
Just to understand, they are going to switch all HD to MPEG4 in March 2007 even if they have some number of stubborn MPEG2 customers?:(

Dish probably figures the $49 to get a 211 will probably cover most that want to keep HDTV. They need the satellite space. They did cut off the 6000 users that refused to upgrade to 8PSK, I do not seem them worrying about cutting off those that do not upgrade to MPEG-4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)