# of lnbs on a primestar dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scottc98

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Columbus, OH
Getting a 36x24 primestar dish and am wondering if people have tried to install mulitple lnbs on it. I'm pretty sure I can do two at 4 to 6 deg seperation. Ideally, I'd like to be able to stack 4 linear lnbs (91, 97, 101, 103 or 110 c for Gol tv) For anyone that have mounted multiple lnbs on this dish, do you mind sharing your install notes and final setup (# of lnbs, locations, signal strength....)

Thanks in advance!

A while back on a DirecPC dish I was able to do 95/91/82. This is when I had my ExpressVu subscription. The DBS LNB in the middle was a spacer.

from closest it was 82/blank/91/95

I was able to get 103 or 101 on the other side. Good signal on all of them :)

Attachments

• Picture 018.JPG
    Picture 018.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 244
Back in the day on my channelmaster (which is about the exact same size of the primestar), I was able to get 119,110, 101, 91, and 82 back in Nor Cal. 101 was strictly for aiming purpose, while the others for my Bell/Dish subs. Being that they were all Circular signals, I'm curious to see what is possible with all linear.

From your photo, looks like 95(linear) is dead middle. +8 deg for the 103 (linear). Theoretically, you should be good another 8 deg the opposite direction (i.e 87 sat). what was the specs on the DirecPC dish (size)? Also, 4 deg seperation is great (91/95).

If its about the same as the primestar, it sounds promising that I could go 91, 97, 103.

You think that I could stack anymore in there? Got a few spare DSS and Primestar LNBs

thats how those were setup...and I edited the dimensions

it was 39x23

Attachments

• IM000372.JPG
    IM000372.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 261
I am sure that the width helped out on the 4 deg seperation. My understanding is that the wider the dish, the less interference from surrounding sats. The inch height difference shouldn't play a huge play in signal strength.

I have some dual LNB mounts for my P* ovals, I haven't used them yet for anything, I posted pics of them on here awhile back, consensus was that they were 4 degrees spacing...

I see that Mike Kohl has a setup on his website using a piece of conduit and some conduit clamps and threaded rods and a whole bunch of nuts to space everything out, you might wanna give it a look.:up

My understanding is that the wider the dish, the less interference from surrounding sats.

correct
The reason I had that dish in the first place was just that. There was a hockey feed on G3 that had interference from an adjacent satellite so the 30" dish you might get a 40 quality but most of the time it was 0

The DPC dish got a 60-70 on the Pansat on the same feed :)

Well...a search on my local craigslist resulted in finding a directway dish.

picked it up today and unfortunatly it was missing the lnb and mast. The Lnb arm has a really weird connector for the lnb, so i guess i'll have to find some way to mount a normal lnb(s) unless I can find a used direcway lnb somewhere.

Its a pretty heavy dish too but at least its polar mount and the dish can skew :)

BTW....the primestar guy hasn't called me back in a while so not sure if that is still on.

Scottc I used one of those things for my very first fta adventure late 2005, as I had just disconnected from direcway, Took me about 10trips on the roof to move the sucker over on G10, needless to say my first scan on G10 just hooked me for good on free digital tv. Plus with that direcway monstrosity>no polarity switch needed-built in already. But the least rainshower washed mine out so I gave up on using it and took it down. It IS sturdy though, if it was a little bigger I'd still use it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)