Of the three highest rated DVR brands (to the best of my knowledge), which is your favorite?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Correct me if I’m wrong, but these to the best of my knowledge are the favorite DVR brands. Which is your favorite? If my list is somehow wrong, then go ahead and name another brand!

Here are the top three favorites I believe...

Dish Network
TiVo
Tablo

Now granted I have yet to try Tablo, but from what I read about and watched on YouTube, it looks like it seems pretty cool. I intentionally listed the three in order of my favorites. Now go ahead and pick yours...

Correct me if I’m wrong, but these to the best of my knowledge are the favorite DVR brands. Which is your favorite? If my list is somehow wrong, then go ahead and name another brand!

Here are the top three favorites I believe...

Dish Network
TiVo
Tablo

Now granted I have yet to try Tablo, but from what I read about and watched on YouTube, it looks like it seems pretty cool. I intentionally listed the three in order of my favorites. Now go ahead and pick yours...
Favorite of all time?

Showstopper (no fees)
SonicBlue (could copy shows between DVRs with friends)
Tivo (robust)
Tablo (versatile)

I like tablo because I got my first one 2 days before they started charging for the guide. Anyone that is grandfathered in gets a lifetime subscription for any tablo they buy. Have a hd homerun for nexttv but havn,t got any 3.0 channels yet. You need to be more computer literate to run it.

Reactions: TV Junkie
Dish Network 722k (lightyears ahead of Spectrum's dvr's), followed by Tivo Roamio. I don't have a Tablo, so can't confirm this firsthand but I've heard that it does transcoding on all recordings, and the picture is a bit soft.

Polaroid DRM2001G. It would record anything, came with a built in editor, and also had a built in burner. The best of all worlds. Unfortunately it only did SD. The editing program would allow you to rename the file, clip the ends, and edit out the commercials prior to burning. Still have it although I never use it anymore but it is still the best overall DVR I've ever had. If they'd have made an HD version I would have jumped on it in a second.

DRM2001G.jpg

Polaroid DRM2001G. It would record anything, came with a built in editor, and also had a built in burner.
The day of the DVD recorder passed a dozen years ago or more. That it won't directly connect to most modern televisions is a hard knock against it. The SD limitation is a non-starter for pretty much everyone. I'm dubious of the value of a built in editor as most people don't save their DVR recordings much past the time they watch them.

When I think of a DVR I'm thinking of something with comprehensive (and automatic) guide-driven timers and the ability to pause and rewind live TV.

A modern DVR also needs to feature mulitple tuners.

Being able to access the recordings on multiple TVs is also an important feature of a modern DVR.

I'd perhaps add the Amazon Fire TV Recast to the list of candidates if for no other reasons than not having additional guide charges and a relatively low entry cost.

Dish Network 722k (lightyears ahead of Spectrum's dvr's), followed by Tivo Roamio. I don't have a Tablo, so can't confirm this firsthand but I've heard that it does transcoding on all recordings, and the picture is a bit soft.
Tablo picture is adjustable by user. Fiddle bit rate to your choosing / environment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)