"Off Air Antenna", local channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

S43R80

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Hi,

I'm still not sure about something. Firstly, what exactly does "off air antenna" include; it is found as the 5th input to a 5x8 switch (or 3rd to a 3x4).

When I get D* I will be getting local channels from my local cable provider. Can I run the cable line from my provider into this 5th input of direct tv's 5x8 switch so, that my local channels will be distributed to each of the tuners without having to run new lines?

The cable company wouldn't give me an answer (I don't think that they wanted anything to do w/ satellite :)), and the direct tv person I talked to said that she did not know.

What I found here seems to suggest that it will work:
http://www.starlink-dss.com/4x4.html
(scroll down to this line (in the yellow box): "Plus let you input a TV antenna, transformer powered using RG-6 coax cable")

From what I gather I can just plug in the cable input (from my cable provider) into the 5th input and voila: I now have local channels sent to each television. Is this correct (assuming I have a diplexer at each television?

That switch is a 4x8 (the 5th jack is for power), a true 5 x 8 would allow you to do this. (I have D* for locals - however - I still pipe in the local basic cable and then use the diplexers on the TV side.)

Frank

fkostyn said:
That switch is a 4x8 (the 5th jack is for power), a true 5 x 8 would allow you to do this. (I have D* for locals - however - I still pipe in the local basic cable and then use the diplexers on the TV side.)

Frank

Hi,

No, you are looking at the wrong switch; the last one (near the bottom and right above the *diagram*) is a 5x8 switch.

So, the definitive answer is that "YES!", I can simply pipe in my cable company's line to the ANT input of the 5x8 switch, without any problems? And all that I need is diplexers on the tv sides?

BTW, when I order a 3 LNB dish for my 5 tuners, they WILL give me a 5x8 switch, right? Or do I need to request one because I want the ANT input?

-Steven

request a 5x8

in my area, the installers only carry 4x8's, which is a joke

I called D* and moaned for over an hour about how a 4x8 is effectively a downgrade when moving to a triple LNB (you have a net loss in inputs).

They finally told me to buy a Terk 5x8 on Amazon and they would credit my account the $60-70 I spent. Not the smoothest way of doing things, but the end result is that I got it paid for...

jl0810 said:
request a 5x8

I called D* and moaned for over an hour about how a 4x8 is effectively a downgrade when moving to a triple LNB (you have a net loss in inputs).

They finally told me to buy a Terk 5x8 on Amazon and they would credit my account the $60-70 I spent. Not the smoothest way of doing things, but the end result is that I got it paid for...

If you're only using OTA on 1 TV you could try Diplexing the OTA signal onto that sat feed and undiplex it at the TV.

jl0810 said:
request a 5x8

Hi, I'm finally getting D* installed this friday. You say that installers only cary 4x8's; I thought that the switch was shipped w/ your dish/reciever package, no???

I actually called the tech company (who is doing the install) last week, and asked to make sure I'd be getting a 5x8. They said that all of the equipment is in the shipment, and therefore they do not know....is this right?

Now, in your case, did the tech just go ahead and do the install w/ the 4x8 switch and you replaced the 4x8 by a 5x8 yourself when you received the terk? In this case, did you have to ship the 4x8 back? Or did you have to re-shedule an appointment?

By the way, I am going to be buying some diplexers; is terk a good brand?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts