Off air digital channels guide information gone

randyk

Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Until a week or so ago, I received programming guide information for my off air digital channels. Then, it just disappeared. So, I called Dish network. They told me that unless I subscribed to the local channels through Dish Network (something that I am not allowed to do) I could not receive program guide information for my off air channels. In fact, they told me that I never did receive program guide information on these channels. What's even more troubling was that I was thinking of getting one of their dvr's and without program guide information for the off air locals, it makes a dvr a lot less desirable.

Does anyone know what Dish Network is doing? Does Dish Network know what it is doing?

Does anyone know what happened to the guide information?

What receiver do you have? 811's didn't require local package subscriptions in the past, unless they changed that, all other receivers--921, 942, and 622 (don't know about the 6000, which was pre-811) have always required local channel subscription.

If it is any non-HD receiver, they never have had any local guide info, they only have pass through for OTA local--have to turn off satellite receiver to watch local channels so no EPG there.

Until a week or so ago, I received programming guide information for my off air digital channels. Then, it just disappeared. So, I called Dish network. They told me that unless I subscribed to the local channels through Dish Network (something that I am not allowed to do) I could not receive program guide information for my off air channels. In fact, they told me that I never did receive program guide information on these channels. What's even more troubling was that I was thinking of getting one of their dvr's and without program guide information for the off air locals, it makes a dvr a lot less desirable.

Does anyone know what Dish Network is doing? Does Dish Network know what it is doing?

Does anyone know what happened to the guide information?

IF you have a 622 dvr and your locals are up on the satellite with Dish , you need to pay the 5.00 to get them and you will get guide information for your main ota channels. Your area locals have to be on the satellite to get the guide information when you pay for and sub to the sd ones from Dish. Once you have that established you can still "move" to another dma with hd and still get your ota guide information for your area. I have that setup in my area of Beaumont/Pt. Arthur , Texas. I "moved" to Houston and I get both my locals & guide information on the ota stations and the Houston HD locals and sd ones too.

I have the 811 receiver and Dish has just cut off the guide information on the off air channels. I think it must have something to do with their new guide information provider. They appear to have switched from TV Guide to Tribune Media Services.

However, if the station so chooses, it sends out the epg information with its digital signal. It seems that Dish is actually not providing that information through their digital tuner any longer.

How do I "move" to another dma (and what's a dma?)? Right now I am not elgible for the local package from Dish.

From DishNetwork:

Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee consistent guide content for off-air programming to those customers who do not subscribe to our local package, regardless of previous reception. To continue receiving this information on a consistent basis, you will need to subscribe to local programming from DISH Network. We do apologize for the confusion.

So now I have to buy a redundant service to get the guide info. Thanks DishNetwork, your customer service continues to underwhelm.

I have the 811 receiver and Dish has just cut off the guide information on the off air channels.

Yes.

However, if the station so chooses, it sends out the epg information with its digital signal. It seems that Dish is actually not providing that information through their digital tuner any longer.

The digital stations are REQUIRED to provide PSIP data. Dish blocks it. You need an ATSC tuner in your TV to receive it.

Moving is discussed in many threads. Use the search feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)