Off air / DTV receiver problem?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stonoguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Please enlighten me on this issue. I am in the Greenville, SC-Spartanburg, SC - Asheville, NC area. I receive off air channels via an outside antenna from Greenville, SC (4.1, 4.2, 4.3__21.1, 21.2, 21.3__29.1, 29.2, 29.3), Spartanburg, SC (7.1, 7.2, 7.3__64.1, 64.2), Asheville, NC (13-1, 13.2, 13.3__33.1, 33.2, 33.3). I have this outside antenna amplified and the output signal, split....one link goes to my HDTV and the other link is connected to my DirecTV receiver (HR20-700). It is configures this way as to utilize the picture in picture feature on the HDTV. I can receive ALL of these channels via my TV but can not receive 29.1, 29.2 or 29.3 via the DTV receiver. This channel is pretty close, so reception problems do not seem probable. The Asheville, NC stations are the furthest away (~50 miles). This is perplexing as these channels were received by the DTV receiver previously.....but now after re-setting, these channels do not show up on channel line up on the DTV receiver. I do receive channel 29 via the DTV receiver. It has been like this for a few months. I have re-set the receiver numerious times. All connections are secure. My antenna and amplifier are in the attic. The splitter is under my home, so water/bad weather can not effect them. Any suggestions?

The Directv ota tuners go by a database for off air channels, they don't scan for them. Apparently those missing channels aren't in the database.
Edit: checking the database, I think those channels are in there. I know my HR20 ota tuner isn't as good as the ones in my tvs, I'm thinking that's your issue, too. If you can install the antenna outside you will likely get better results.

The Directv ota tuners go by a database for off air channels, they don't scan for them. Apparently those missing channels aren't in the database.
Edit: checking the database, I think those channels are in there. I know my HR20 ota tuner isn't as good as the ones in my tvs, I'm thinking that's your issue, too. If you can install the antenna outside you will likely get better results.

The antenna will remain in the attic as the neighborhood HOA forbids an antenna being installed outdoors.....sad but true. I feel like..I pay them to tell me what to do.....Don't ever buy a house that is under the thumb of a HOA. It sucks!

I have very good signal strength on this channel (Channel 29 but actually channel 9).....both to DTV receiver and to The HDTV. In fact, the signal is stronger than the signals I get out of Asheville, NC!!

Is there anyway to manually edit the off-air channels database? I have done the scan but those channels do not show up! I have surround sound via the output of the DTV receiver....no surround when TV is in "antenna" mode.

Just FYI the HOA can't stop you putting up an outside antenna as long as it is on your property. It's an FCC rule that overrides any HOA regulation.

They actually can require it to be in the attic if it still provides adequate reception. Of course the term adequate is sometimes hard to define.

Lesson learned.......I will never have another home in a subdivision that has a HOA! This one SUCKS!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts