Off air stations to DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dudemus

Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I've got my roof-top antenna hooked to the off-air input on my DVR receiver. I can watch off-air HD programs on my TV, but I need to get off channel 3 on the TV and select channels directly on the TV. When I want to go back to DirectTV I need to select channel 3 to access the satellite. I expected to have off-air channels feed into the DVR and show up somewhere on the guide or the DVR channel list or even be able to record off-air channels. It's just too much button pushing and there are some pretty tech-un-savey people in the house. Do I have something hooked up incorrectly? Am I explaining this OK?
Thanks.

Does your TV have composite inputs? I suggest you use those for a better picture.

Also, to help us give you more info, we need to know what DirecTV receiver you have.

If it is an SD DVR, then you can put the unit in Standby and then tune the TV using its remote. When in standby, the RF from the antenna is passed through to the RF output.

If you have a HD TV have you considered upgrading your DVR to a HD DVR? Depening on how long you've been a customer and your payment history you might be able to get one for a reduced cost or free. You can also get the AM21 add on all record all your local ATSC channels on the DVR also. You will have to pay $9.99/month more if you did that for the HD access charge but the IMHO the picture quality improvement makes that a worthwhile investment.

Thanks. I don't think it's an SD but I'll check. What are composite inputs? I'm almost ready to upgrade to an HD receiver but I've been trying to use the off-air signal to convince people that the picture quality is superior but most people in the house feel it's too complicated to switch to off-air for the local stations, so I'm the only one that sees the difference and I'm already convinced....What's an AM21 add-on?

Except for the HR20 HD DVR, all the other ones do not have built in ATSC/over the air tuners in them. To get the OTA channels via the HD DVR you need the AM21 which connects to the HD DVR via the USB port and adds two ATSC tuners to the HD DVR. It also intergrates the ATSC channels into the advanced program guide so those channels appear just like satellite delivered channels in the guide. The cost is $50 from DirecTV but if they don't have your HD locals, or you make a big stink about wanting HD locals they don't deliver in your DMA yet (PBS, CW, etc) they might throw it in for free.

The composite inputs are the yellow or s-video and the red/white audio connections. Component video is the red/green/blue connections.
Please report what inputs your TV has and the model of the DVR.

Does the AM21 just connect to the HD DVR? That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I've got a DVR-R15-300 receiver and a Sharp LC42SB45U TV. it's got all kinds of inputs. I'm still not satisfied with the the connection; I'm running coax from the rooftop to the DVR and coax from the DVR to the TV.

Will I have to start paying for HD service once I get a HR21 (or whatever they give me) even if I don't get a new dish yet? Is there a swap shop on your site to get a used AM21?
I guess I could go to eBay.

Then HD Pack is an extra that you need to order.

The AM21 hasn't been available long enough for there to be a third party offering. I suppose there could be some on eBay.

AM 21

I just spoke to a custumer service rep. from Direct T.V. And was told that if you have an HD. DVR that you need 2 AM21'S to make this work. Does that make sence. I have gotten incorrect info from them in the past. Just want to be sure before I order 2 of them.:confused:

Thanks. I didn't think that sounded correct. Luv those cust. service reps at Direct T.V. I orederd an AM21 last week, and recieved a "mini remote control" today instead. What a bunch of goobers!!!!!:mad:

Thanks. I didn't think that sounded correct. Luv those cust. service reps at Direct T.V. I orederd an AM21 last week, and recieved a "mini remote control" today instead. What a bunch of goobers!!!!!:mad:

Unless you're trying to get it for free you can just order it via the DirecTV web site and keep the CSR's out of the loop.

No, not trying to get it for free. Looked on the site for it, but could not seem to find it there. It only says that it will be available soon. I'll try again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts