"Off" means off? (Vip622)

czetie

Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
I'm having a problem (design flaw?) with my VIP622. Even when its off, it's still output a signal (screensaver), which is confusing my HDMI 4x2 switch. As a result, it doesn't always cleanly switch to e.g. the DVD input when I switch from TV to DVD. Dish tech support tell me that it's designed to work that way, but its really annoying. Does anybody know a way to make the outputs turn off for real?

I'm also considering an optical audio switch because my receiver doesn't have enough digital inputs -- does anybody know if the VIP622 keeps the audio "live" too even when it's supposed to be off?

Apologies if this has been discussed to death -- I'm sure I can't be the first person to struggle with this, but I couldn't locate a previous thread.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes this behavior is normal. The 622 is always on, so it could record, receive updates, program guides, etc. Why does it confuse your switch though?

As for the optical audio, I am not 100% sure, but I don't think it keeps it alive. When I turn the vip622 off, my receiver blinks as if there is no signal.

Sounds like it is time to upgrade your AV receiver ;) No, there is no way to "turn off" the box completely so you are stuck.

Yes, but why output?

Thanks for the confirmation. The problem is that my (cheap) switch tries to autoswitch when it sees a new input come live. Because the HDMI signal on the DVR is always live, it doesn't always autoswitch when a new signal such as the DVD comes on second. It seems to be happier when only one input is really live at a time...

I understand why "off" really means "standby" as far as recording, updates, etc. is concerned -- but I don't understand why the video signal still has to be live too? Dish network tech support told me it was to avoid burn-in on the TV!

That was before that brilliant idea - no video signal when DVR/IRD is off; but recently someone in marketing dept decide to feed us new form of spam - screen-saver with hints, I'm wondering how soon Dish will place here real ads. :( I feel it just prelude to that.

Thanks for the confirmation. The problem is that my (cheap) switch tries to autoswitch when it sees a new input come live. Because the HDMI signal on the DVR is always live, it doesn't always autoswitch when a new signal such as the DVD comes on second. It seems to be happier when only one input is really live at a time...

I don't know how much your willing to spend, but this switch has worked flawlessly for me and has dropped in price (by $25) since I purchased it a month ago: 4 port HDMI switch with Optical Audio routing. Version 1.3. 4x1 HDMI switcher for integration with HDTV and audio receiver

This unit will auto switch with the sat receiver on or in the "off" mode. I have a PS3 hooked into it along with sat receiver. Also has auto optic cable switching, which I needed as my tuner has only one input too. I had an Extreme Mac switcher before, but it didn't auto switch. Had to use tiny remote, when I could find where my cat had last swatted it if I didn't put it back into the drawer!
icon8.gif
And didn't have the optic cable switching capability.

I know that the cost may seem a bit high, but having only one HDMI input on the HDtv, and only one optic input on tuner, this seemed a logical choice for me then having to replace either of those. I also have room to grow with the additional 2 input/outputs.

I don't know how much your willing to spend, but this switch has worked flawlessly for me and has dropped in price (by $25) since I purchased it a month ago: 4 port HDMI switch with Optical Audio routing. Version 1.3. 4x1 HDMI switcher for integration with HDTV and audio receiver

This unit will auto switch with the sat receiver on or in the "off" mode. I have a PS3 hooked into it along with sat receiver. Also has auto optic cable switching, which I needed as my tuner has only one input too. I had an Extreme Mac switcher before, but it didn't auto switch. Had to use tiny remote, when I could find where my cat had last swatted it if I didn't put it back into the drawer!
icon8.gif
And didn't have the optic cable switching capability.

I know that the cost may seem a bit high, but having only one HDMI input on the HDtv, and only one optic input on tuner, this seemed a logical choice for me then having to replace either of those. I also have room to grow with the additional 2 input/outputs.

It will be cheaper to put up with your problem.