Off to college, would like to retain Dish Network in the dorm room, but will this work?

aasimbeck

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
Hey all, I am off to college soon, and I'm interested in taking Dish along with me, I will be in a dorm on campus, so mounting a permanent dish outside is out of the question.

From my last visit, I did a survey using DishPointer on my iPhone, and there is indeed a clear view of the Western Arc, so 110, 119, 129 are a definite, and I'm also able to see 61.5, and 72.7.

My question comes down to this - Will the window cause too much deflection of the signal that a dish will not work?

I do have a ViP922 receiver, so I can just continue to use it from home, but it seems like in the long run, its going to be a pain due to how unresponsive the remote becomes.

I'm completely willing to take my receiver down, and all of that, I just don't want to lose my HD, because the college only offers a basic comcast link.

Does anyone have experience with this? I also considered maybe getting one of those half-sphere RV antennas and setting it on the windowsill.

Thanks!

If it's a single pane window, it could very well work. You probably have one if your college is similar to my old school and many others, its campus housing built in the 50's and 60's. Also, keep an eye on any overhang to make sure nothing above is obstucting the satelites. Should not be a big deal in most parts of the country.

No metal screening allowed, don't trip over the dish on the floor, expect about a 50% signal loss coming through the window more if there is any metal in the glass formulation.

The window, if I recall correctly, is one of those ones where theres like a layer of glass on the inside, and then a layer on the outside, so thats probably going to cause an issue, I'm happy if I can get a 25-30 signal strength reading - because thats usable, and despite the fact it may go out during a storm, and slight cloud coverage, it beats having to use Comcast basic Cable on a 46" HDTV. And hell, Comcast will be the backup plan during those storms. I've become too accustomed to my HD to just leave it behind haha. Also, there are no screens, and the windows don't appear to be tinted or have any kind of metal content to them that visible. Not really too fluent on the chemistry of glass haha.

Last edited:
aasimbeck said:
The window, if I recall correctly, is one of those ones where theres like a layer of glass on the inside, and then a layer on the outside, so thats probably going to cause an issue, I'm happy if I can get a 25-30 signal strength reading - because thats usable, and despite the fact it may go out during a storm, and slight cloud coverage, it beats having to use Comcast basic Cable on a 46" HDTV. And hell, Comcast will be the backup plan during those storms. I've become too accustomed to my HD to just leave it behind haha. Also, there are no screens, and the windows don't appear to be tinted or have any kind of metal content to them that visible. Not really too fluent on the chemistry of glass haha.

Thtas a lot of stuff for a dorm room. Don't forget ur computer printer clothes and books have to fit too and will u have a room mate?
Honestly I would try slinging first. You will be taking some very expensive a ndsomewaht delicate equipment to an environment that generally is not especially safe for such.
I don't want to be a buzz kill but u also might findout that y don't have a lot of time for tv so slingi g even if not optimal might be enough.
Good luck what ever u decide to do!

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Another thing you need to consider, the 922 you mentioned, is it on your own account or your parents? The best route for you would be to consider slinging if it's your parents. You would need to setup your own account to have it working in your dorm. RV'ers can take their receivers while they are rv'ing but yours is a different scenario.

Another thing you need to consider, the 922 you mentioned, is it on your own account or your parents? The best route for you would be to consider slinging if it's your parents. You would need to setup your own account to have it working in your dorm. RV'ers can take their receivers while they are rv'ing but yours is a different scenario.

Why would I need to setup my own account, I pay for the receivers functionality, it's no different from when I take the receiver down to my camp for the weekend and use it for TV there. The installers personally told us that doing so is OK, this will just be a more prolonged visit of the receiver to a different location.

I realize doing so would be the appropriate method, and would be playing by the rules - but obviously if their installers are saying otherwise is "ok", theres nothing too stringent against it.

As far as the technical aspect goes, theres no reason why it won't work.

Why would I need to setup my own account, I pay for the receivers functionality, it's no different from when I take the receiver down to my camp for the weekend and use it for TV there. The installers personally told us that doing so is OK, this will just be a more prolonged visit of the receiver to a different location.

I realize doing so would be the appropriate method, and would be playing by the rules - but obviously if their installers are saying otherwise is "ok", theres nothing too stringent against it.

Yes it would work technical wise but it is account stacking to have receivers in two different locations on the same account. You need to set up an account for your dorm.

Depending on how much information Scott shares with DIRT DISH may already have enough information to shut down your parents account for stacking. Maybe you should think about what you are posting before you announce that you plan on violating terms of service.

boba said:
Depending on how much information Scott shares with DIRT DISH may already have enough information to shut down your parents account for stacking. Maybe you should think about what you are posting before you announce that you plan on violating terms of service.

I've seen assurances posted here that our non-public info is not shared with Dish. If it ever were, I'd be one of the many to leave asap. That doesn't mean the OP is in the clear for stacking, if the audit team ever calls his parents, they will be shut down. Another reason why he should use the sling adapter instead.

aasimbeck said:

It is against the TOS to take your receiver to your camp for the weekend. Do people do it and not have a problem? Yes. Doesn't make it right. As far as the installer goes i bet if he had is back against the wall he would have amnesia pretty quick. Im sure he would loose his job for telling you stacking is ok. Having said that taking ur receiver to a other location for approximately 4 mos at a time is quite a bit different than a weekend.
If you search the forum for posts about the audit team you will find a lot of horror stories, mostly from folks that were stacking. Although a few that I have read couldgo either way.
Not sure if you have considered this but if you put your 922 on line once at college it is very possible that dish will realize your receiver is not at its usual location by the ip address.
I still am of the opinion that you r potentially creating more problems for yourself than this is worth. Give slinging a try. Be sure that u will really have enough room in your room for a dish, tv, receiver, andthe other stuff you will need. Also will u have a room mate? As I said before you may findthat you don't have the time you think you will for tv to make this endeavor remotly worth it

Ross

Your solution is to sling, or get your own account. DO NOT try to "account stack." There is a pretty good chance the audit team will detect something funny and call your parents. Then they will be unhappy. And so will you.

As stated, you will likely have very little time for TV in college. I can't remember watching TV in college, though I assume I must have. So sling is a great solution for what little TV you'll actually watch.

That said, shortly after you arrive at college, your friends will show you how to get almost everything you want online. Free.

... The installers personally told us that doing so is OK, this will just be a more prolonged visit of the receiver to a different location. ...
A discussion between an installer and a High School Senior does not a Terms of Service Agreement change make.

navychop said:
Your solution is to sling, or get your own account. DO NOT try to "account stack." There is a pretty good chance the audit team will detect something funny and call your parents. Then they will be unhappy. And so will you.

As stated, you will likely have very little time for TV in college. I can't remember watching TV in college, though I assume I must have. So sling is a great solution for what little TV you'll actually watch.

That said, shortly after you arrive at college, your friends will show you how to get almost everything you want online. Free.

Dating my self but when i was in college cable was just for folks that lived too far from the transmitters. Cost $3.00/month for local stations and the college station that was it. In the dorm there was one tv in the common area that was it. If you had a portable u probably couldn't get anything on it anyway. Of course this in the midwest some distance from a major city.
My daughter is director of rez life ata 4 year school. They aren't overly picky about what can andcannot be kept in the dorm rooms. However saftey and fire violations r not overlooked. Things like too much stuff, extension cords, power strips without circuit breakers etc r not allowed and will be removed without warning (overcrowding because of too much stuff is not removed but the student will be given a non negotiable deadline to remove it out of the dorm or it will be removed and parents called.)
We don't know the OP so it is hard to know but I think he had decided to take the 922 and dish with him before he even posted. I guess he has a good job to be able to afford one plus buy a dish and tripod, and didn't he say he has a 46" TV too. I think we should all wish him good luck and suggest he post how thongs are going after a couple of months of school...

Ross

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts