offer from dish...this is better!!!!

Yes the 942 has one OTA Tuner.

Right now all it picks up is Digital TV or HDTV.

The specs say it will also do analog TV in the future (the old SD TV channels) in fact it even has check boxes in add channel dialog box for this. The specs do say you can not record analog channels though.

Looking at the reveiws over a DBStalk, it shounds like viewing analog channels will be added in the future. Right now you can only View and record the HDTV channels.

The tunner seems really good, I get a 2nd CBS station in a nearby DMA 50 miles away with my silver sensor anntenna in the atic.

The only down side is there is only one Over the air turner. If you need to record two local OTA show at the same to you have to record one of them from the SD feed from the dish.

You can record 3 things at one time 1 OTA and 2 from the SAT as there are 3 tuners in the 942.

I have tried all 3 at once and it worked great.

Other things to consider...

I spent about 30 minutes with a Dish rep the other day and found the following:

1) 942 can only be purchased not leased through them. There is no "trade-up" value for the 811 you get free. 942 DVR f/Dish $550.
2) You need to pay $6 dollars a month for maintenance unless you want to pay for the shipping back to Dish every time you have a problem. They do not dispatch a tech (well @ least here in Seattle they do not). Wonder how long it takes to get your tuner back.... and what will you watch until?
3) As pointed-out above, most of all the "freebie" items are for a signed 1 or 2 year contract. I had the Voom special "no contract". Make sure you know what you will end up spending over the long haul.

So when I figured-out what a "comparable" Voom experience would be it added to:

180 Channel $87 (HBO, Show, etc)
10 Voom HD Channels $10
5 Dish HD Channels $5
Maint/service fee 6
(Note - I did not factor the discounts as I do not want a contract)

Total month: $108 (compared to my $90 Voom)

DVR 942 $550
(Note - I have Comcast and I get a HD DVR for lease @ $10 a month).

I decided to stay with Comcast for now. Maybe I'll sign-up with Dish when they get the other 26 channels.

My local installer came and used a Dish 500 with sw21 switch and my VoOM dish and tied it all into a brand new 811 and I am VoOMing again, no $100 charge for another dish like the CSR's said, because my locals use 61.5 bird also. Total out of pocket expense $0 got 180 test drive pkg.$19.99 for first 3 months, HD pack 1/2 price for 12mo and VoOM for $5. And my installer was owner of company and had over 20 years experience doing satellite installs. totally satisfied with the experience.

Seattle Sam said:
I spent about 30 minutes with a Dish rep the other day and found the following:

1) 942 can only be purchased not leased through them. There is no "trade-up" value for the 811 you get free. 942 DVR f/Dish $550.

I decided to stay with Comcast for now. Maybe I'll sign-up with Dish when they get the other 26 channels.
I leased a 942. I have it at home.

When did you call, if you call it night you get the Out Sourced Dish CSRs from India they sometimes do not know all the facts.
Call in the day, there in Colorado so its mountain time 8-6 M-F

Who did you call, some retailers can only sell the 942 as they are in Hot demand. Call Dish on the 1-800 number on the www.dishnetwork.com web page.

The 942 is avl to ALL new customers for the $250 upgrade price.

Here is the small print stating this under the DHA Lease plan. Its not the small print for the Voom offer so the price on the package is wrong.
You are limited to one recevier of each type for a total of 4 tuners under the lease.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/getDish/disclaimers/dishPVRplans/index.shtml

Let any of us know if you need a Club Dish Referal number to avoid the $49.95 activation fee. Just PM any of us.

Say if I wanted to sign up with Dish as a new customer for just the HD pack and VOOM pack...20 bucks a mth. I have the dishes up on my roof and ready to go....all I need is the 811 receiver....whats the best deal I can get through DISH.

The best deal is to lease the 811 for $5 a month as a new sub. Its called DHA.
Under DHA the main dish and install is 100% free.

If you are in a city with some of the smaller locals on the 61.5 degree sat (most east of the missipssipy (spelling) river are) so that sat (required for Voom) is also free along with any switches (spliter like things).

To see if you city gets a free 61.5 dish go to www.dishnetwork.com or use this link and type in your address. If your at 148 degrees on the west half many just get that dish for free and then have the installer just point it to 61.5 (give em a tip or something for doing it).

https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/prepAddress.do

If you dont have any small local stations on the wing sats then its $100 there is an other thread here on ideas on how to avoid that cost.

Also the club dish will avoid the $49.95 activation fee.

So if you do it all right were talking FREE most of the time for the equipment and dishes (even if you already have dishes up there the LNBs may need changed out for new Dish Pro LNBs).

I think leasing is the safer way to go as if there is a new Mpeg4 model out some day, I would think they would take care of you since you are just leasing it.

I would not BUY your equipment due to the MPEG4 upgrade next year.

voom to dish

ok, I have been trying to read through all these dish deals and it seems my situation is a little different so I am not sure the route to go.

I had originally signed up for the Voom $1 deal only to have my install cancelled (they announced shutting down for good the day my install was scheduled).

Anyway, I shut off all my cable. Once I found out Dish was picking up Voom I figured that would be a good way to go, but talk about confusion with all these dishes.

I live in South Texas and the dish site doesn't show any of my locals or planned locals. I do have a few locals broadcasting in digital here though.

So if I go with Dish what deal should I look for, how many dishes am I talking about and what about digital OTA?

I basically want the HD package with Voom and I guess some of the standard channels, not sure how I will get locals. I only have one HD capable projector so other TVs are SD. I wouldn't have a problem paying the 942 lease of $250 if that is all the install was and I could make good use of it (DVR, OTA?).

Anyway, now that some of the dust has settled, any direction you guys could give would be appreciated.

Yes I signed up with E* yesterday for the 942 (and 2 sd's receivers and an 811) .. for a one time $250 lease fee on the 942. I am new to E*, made an intermediate stop at TWC when Voom went down. Interesting thing was, E* would not lease 2 942's to me, they said availability is low, check back in a couple of months.

What is the quality of the Voom channels on Dish, can anyone tell me? TWC's HiDef was so bad compared to Voom and the TWC HD DVR is just plain awful, when E* picked up the first 10, i decided to move pretty quickly. I hope the 942 is a good unit. Did someone say the 942 will not do SD?? that cannot be true, it has to pick up ALL of E*'s channels, correct?

Pq

I think the pq of the SD channels is better on E* than they were on Voom. The pq of the Voom channels is the same. I use an 811, but I've heard that the HD pq is even better with the 942. I cannot speak to the SD capabilities of the 942, but I find it hard to believe that it will not do SD, in fact I did hear that when the second tuner is utilised on a separate HDTV, it is received in SD only.

me

Ponch, sorry, is PQ .. picture or pixel quality? I am just a die hard consumer, not as technical as the guys who work in the field. But i aint no dummy either :D
Thanks so much!
~art spanjer

Including Voom HD Channels...

doesn't apply for SBC/Dish Network customers. I just called and they told me, that SBC is NOT offering this atm. :-( :shocked

GGGRRR to E*

All apologies if I have duplicated any information from other threads or even from this thread. I have read so much information in the past 2 weeks that my head is pounding.
Anywho.
Finally decided to call E*. Miss Monsters and Equator too much to not have and living on OTA has been cheap, but dull at best.
Anyway, went the route suggested of asking for a free dish @ 61.5 to pick up my local channels. CSR told me locals were provided on a single superdish and a second dish was not needed. I then told her each of my channels had multiple feeds - PBS has 5, as well as other locals E* does not carry. CSR said E* is not obligated to offer those other feeds and would not offer a free dish to capture those broadcasts. Was told that my V*dish could stay up and they would install a superdish and if I wanted V*, my V* dish would come down and another dish pointed in the same location would go up, pointing @ 61.50. Was told LNB(?) switches/cables(?) were not compatible with Dish and that's why the swap was required.
I've gone the local channel route and have gotten no where.
Asked for 50% off the $100 install and was rebuffed.
They are quite stringent on these requests.
Would I do better to call back & when the foreign speaking CSR's are there?
Any option to avoid wasting $100 would be greatly appreciated.
Frustrated as all get out in Newport News, VA!!!!!
GGGRRRRRRRR

I think E*'s message is now syncronized, I could not get them to budge off of the $100. They did tell me they were going to use my existing dish i used for voom, which incidentally is a D* dish (the Voom installer just used it) .. and then add another. for Dish services. And they would use my exising OTA powered antenna originally installed by Voom.

When D* get through installing that will be 4 providers in a year. D*, V* TWC and now E* I think this is just about freaking enough!! :mad: I cannot wait for all of this to be over and done with and I hope to god that Dish just stays the course (except for adding the rest of Voom content that is!!) :D

second dish

Call a local retailer of satellite services and talk to them about what you need, the CSR route or online route are wastes of time as I found out personally. My local guy used my Voom dish and a dish 500 dish all tied in to my 811 box..NO extra charges...$0 up front, and my bill for my first 2 months was $3.69 for sales tax. grand total for everything $3.69.

I was charged the $100 for the 61.5 dish install and got 2 811 STB. But they credited my account 49.99 for activation fee which was not added to bill, so I only paid $50 for the 61.5 dish. I called back after a couple days after the install and ordered a 942 at the $250 lease price but they wanted the $49.99 install fee. I will not pay it, so I emailed CEO at dish, had a call back in 30 seconds, got the 942 no install fee at lease price. I am setup up for next week thursday install.

MR CORVETTE said:
I was charged the $100 for the 61.5 dish install and got 2 811 STB. But they credited my account 49.99 for activation fee which was not added to bill, so I only paid $50 for the 61.5 dish. I called back after a couple days after the install and ordered a 942 at the $250 lease price but they wanted the $49.99 install fee. I will not pay it, so I emailed CEO at dish, had a call back in 30 seconds, got the 942 no install fee at lease price. I am setup up for next week thursday install.

Exactly how many days was it between the time you had your install and the time you ordered the HD DVR? I'm trying to do the same thing and I'm being told there is a three day time limit on changing you order.

6 Days. Email the CEO at dish web site, they will call you back, they will make it happen, they did for me.

To get the $100 down to $50

One possible way is to use the club dish referal

" was charged the $100 for the 61.5 dish install and got 2 811 STB. But they credited my account 49.99 for activation fee which was not added to bill, so I only paid $50 for the 61.5 dish. "

They waive the $49.95 activation fee plus you get an other $49.95 credit on the bill.

Many here have referal numbers, just Private Message us.

MR CORVETTE said:
6 Days. Email the CEO at dish web site, they will call you back, they will make it happen, they did for me.
how do you email ceo at the dish website?

thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)