Official authorized Dish retailers?

Really? I did not know that. I will have to reinvestigate again. :(

Think about Dish america. It will give you hd equipment that will work with standard TV's. You will also be eliglble for the new customer promos with this minium. I kindly gather from your postings that hillbilly isn't your 1st language either, no offense intended. In all honesty you should pm mary who is part of DIRT & her username listed in red. If you're looking for the best bang and without any hype she can sure help you out. Good luck my friend.

Think about Dish america. It will give you hd equipment that will work with standard TV's. You will also be eliglble for the new customer promos with this minium. I kindly gather from your postings that hillbilly isn't your 1st language either, no offense intended...
Dish American is getting expensive per month though and I don't need all those channels (only care about the local broadcast ones). And yes, my English isn't strong. :(

Oy, this is getting confusing. Questions:

1. For HD addon:
a. Do I assume it is only available for America's Top packages and not the lower packages?
b. Will I need new receivers/DVRs to replace the ones I use for old CRT TVs? If not, then I should get HD+SD compatible devices and services so I can avoid replacements/upgrades later on.

2. Does Dish have a whole house DVR system to use more than one TVs? I know Tme Warner Cable has it.

3. How much is the installation for Welcome Pack?

4. Can I connect Dish to my computers too that act like recorders? Or do I need devices like cable cards with cable TV?

Last edited:
Dish American is getting expensive per month though and I don't need all those channels (only care about the local broadcast ones). And yes, my English isn't strong. :(

I sincerely apologize for my previous comment. Seriously you will not get a better deal with free equipment & installation from anyone without having a minimum service. I say dish because they offer the dish america package for 24.99 for 12 months, 34.99 there after. Now you said you have 4 TV's. Without any upfront or out of pocket expenses your best scenario is a 722k which would be included with your package price & would give you hd/dvr on 1 TV & sd/dvr on a 2nd TV. TV #3 hd/no dvr would be 7.00 monthly & TV #4 hd/no dvr would be 7.00 monthly. Equipment I'm speaking of would be 1 722k & 2 211k. Also dish would give you the best advantage for international channels, although they would not come cheap. TV prices are outrageous and I really mean that. Given the providers that are out there & what your looking for money wise without upfront fees other than programming dish would be your best bet. You have already done yourself a huge favor by inquiring here on this site. Good or bad you will get it straight up from us. TV isn't cheap & to be honest I am 1 of the biggest complainers on here regarding the high fees, but you will hear the truth & not some salesmans hype just trying to get you to sign up.

... TV isn't cheap & to be honest I am 1 of the biggest complainers on here regarding the high fees, but you will hear the truth & not some salesmans hype just trying to get you to sign up.
I know that feeling. I am amazed how much I save with over the air (OTA), DTV Pal DVR (no subscription), VCRs (rarely used and mostly for connecting between my computer and CRT TV since my TV only has a coax connection), etc. I am so spoiled. I will lose all that with the upcoming new home. :/

Another food for thought is to buy your dish equipment. A dish can be bought for $50 or less. A receiver like a 612 will give you dvr functions, the ability to record 2 programs simultaneously & have a uhf remote that will work from anywhere in the house. The downside is no promotional offers or free installation, the upside is you can subscribe to the welcome pack for $14.99 + $6.00 dvr fee, also you take that same receiver & mirror it to make it play on all 4 TV's. The downside is everyone in the house would have to watch the same channel & there is no hd channel add on other than locals if your dma has them.

Another food for thought is to buy your dish equipment. A dish can be bought for $50 or less. A receiver like a 612 will give you dvr functions, the ability to record 2 programs simultaneously & have a uhf remote that will work from anywhere in the house. The downside is no promotional offers or free installation, the upside is you can subscribe to the welcome pack for $14.99 + $6.00 dvr fee, also you take that same receiver & mirror it to make it play on all 4 TV's. The downside is everyone in the house would have to watch the same channel & there is no hd channel add on other than locals if your dma has them.

Well, the good news is that the house already has a satellite dish on the roof, and it appears to be from Dish (hard to see -- will have to recheck with a better view).

As for same channels on all four TVs, no can do. Each person watches his/her stuff. What's DMA?

Dma is a term used to determine local channels based on zip code.
Dish does appear to be your best option. You can pm Mary she is a DIRT (Dish internet response team) member who works for dish View Profile: maryb@Dish Network - SatelliteGuys - America's Satellite & Home Theater Technology Information Source!. I promise you she will not steer you in the wrong direction. You will have to be prepared for reality that free equipment & installation comes at a price & commitment. Like I said earlier I am complainer #1 when it comes to fees & equipment prices. From what you describe about your needs dish seems like the most logical solution & probably the cheapest. Give Mary a shout & let us know how it goes.

Dma is a term used to determine local channels based on zip code.
Dish does appear to be your best option. You can pm Mary she is a DIRT (Dish internet response team) member who works for dish View Profile: maryb@Dish Network - SatelliteGuys - America's Satellite & Home Theater Technology Information Source!. I promise you she will not steer you in the wrong direction. You will have to be prepared for reality that free equipment & installation comes at a price & commitment. Like I said earlier I am complainer #1 when it comes to fees & equipment prices. From what you describe about your needs dish seems like the most logical solution & probably the cheapest. Give Mary a shout & let us know how it goes.

Thanks. I noticed DirecTV is a few bucks cheaper and have more channels if I were to get HD. Obviously, DISH is cheaper for SD channels. Switching to DirecTV from Dish would be a pain due to the contracts, waiting, and changes though.

New customer promos on Directv are enticing for 2 yrs anyhow. Dish america packages are hd packages to begin with, cheaper & would automatically give you hd equipment. Directv would require auto bill pay for hd, dish would also except for the dish america packages are hd to begin with. You have to figure out what TV is really worth to you & your family $$$ wise & which 1 would best suit your needs.

If you want to get Dish and install properly with full info as to what you will and will not get, contact Dish and not anyone listed as a "retailer". Too many posts here with those thinking they are dealing with Dish and simply are not. IMHO.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. I have been in business since 1987, and I can promise you my customers thank me everyday for NOT having to deal with the giant DISH machine. My offer is the same as Dish, but when my customer needs help, I answer the phone without a computer system and talk to them directly and help them out.. I drop by their house to put their TV back on the right channel when they screw it up. So before you start putting Retailers down you need to know exactly what a Retailer is.. I am not the guy in California that fools people in ALABAMA into believing that I am their LOCAL Retailer.. I AM the guy in South Alabama that cares and delivers what I promise.. When you call Dish around here, they send someone from Another county to come in and do the job. When you call me, you get the same deal, but your money stays in the community and you truly do get local service.

I got service and equipment through a retailer. I was able to obtain the same packages, discounts, and promotions and didn't have to accept the trial periods of items I didn't want. I am so glad I went through the retailer.

I've had a couple of issues come up. I tried calling Dish Network directly and they treat everybody like a three year old idiot. It doesn't matter what your level of knowledge is, they go through the 1, 2, 3 steps, unplug the receiver for 10 seconds, etc. It doesn't matter if you tell them you've already done that like 40 times that day.

Anyway, now I just call my retailer and he is familiar with my equipment, my skill level, and my history. Very few problems, but they get taken care of quickly and efficiently without going through a robotic phone menu.

Just my experience. I'm sure there's feel-good stories on both sides of the discussion.

There are 4 types of DISH Network retailers...

#1 Going through DISH Directly
#2 Going through a CE Store like Rat Shack, Costo or Sears
#3 Going through a National Sales Partner
#4 Going through a Local Retailer

First of all hands down the Local retailers are going to give you the best customer service, and are going to a better installation.

Second of all the national sales partners, are also good to go through. They will usually do a superior job selling the product, but their installation is dependant on DISH Network since all installs are referred through them. There are some good deals through certain sales partners, and if you do your homework you should be able to get a gift card with purchase. SOME SALES PARTNERS WILL TRY TO COLLECT A PROCESSING FEE ANYWHERE FROM $19.99 UP TO $49.99. DO NOT PAY THIS, AS YOU ARE BEING RIPPED OFF

3rd, going through a CE store like Costco, Sears or Radio Shack will probably make for the worst experence in terms of sales, as the sales people at these places don't know anything. They do run gift card promotions, but be sure what you are signing up for if you take them up on these offers.

Finally, do not do business with DISH Network directly. They will not give you any special offers, like you will find with a local retailer, sales partner, or natonal CE Store.

In terms of customer service, if your going through a CE Store or a sales partner your dealing with DISH Network for the service after the sale anyways.

There are 4 types of DISH Network retailers...

#1 Going through DISH Directly
#2 Going through a CE Store like Rat Shack, Costo or Sears
#3 Going through a National Sales Partner
#4 Going through a Local Retailer

First of all hands down the Local retailers are going to give you the best customer service, and are going to a better installation.

Second of all the national sales partners, are also good to go through. They will usually do a superior job selling the product, but their installation is dependant on DISH Network since all installs are referred through them. There are some good deals through certain sales partners, and if you do your homework you should be able to get a gift card with purchase. SOME SALES PARTNERS WILL TRY TO COLLECT A PROCESSING FEE ANYWHERE FROM $19.99 UP TO $49.99. DO NOT PAY THIS, AS YOU ARE BEING RIPPED OFF

3rd, going through a CE store like Costco, Sears or Radio Shack will probably make for the worst experence in terms of sales, as the sales people at these places don't know anything. They do run gift card promotions, but be sure what you are signing up for if you take them up on these offers.

Finally, do not do business with DISH Network directly. They will not give you any special offers, like you will find with a local retailer, sales partner, or natonal CE Store.

In terms of customer service, if your going through a CE Store or a sales partner your dealing with DISH Network for the service after the sale anyways.
Interesting. I assume the ones I mentioned were through national retailers and the ones on Dish's retailer listings based on zip codes are local ones (not that close to the city I am in though). I have not seen any Dish offers through CE retailers yet (only DirectTV for (Costco, Sears, and Verizon so far).