OFFICIAL: Dish Network Not Enough New HD Complaint Thread

I think this thread can be deleted now... :)

"Are you kidding!!! Dish Network is still WAAAAAAAAAAY behind D*! This is the only way Dish will listen to their customers. Dish sucks and we have to keep telling them that until they change."

NOTICE: This has been a re-enactment of a conversation heard on OnStar...

Edit: Oops, almost forgot the smiley indicating that you can laugh here.

:)

Really? What did we really get yesterday? So far I haven't seen much HD content on all these "wonderful" additions. TWC?? Where is this billion/trillion dollar HD studio everyone was lathered up about? Haven't seen any HD there. CNBC? Don't even bother with the Disney garbage. MGM? Flipping ahead through the program guide there isn't one program that would slightly draw my attention on that channel. Hallmark? Give me a break. Last night I flipped through the new channels and less than a quarter of them had some sort of HD content at one time.

Looks to me like we lost the VOOM channels which actually had HD content, like them or not, and got "Dished-up" a big bowl of red herring soup. :hungry: :rolleyes:

Really? What did we really get yesterday? So far I haven't seen much HD content on all these "wonderful" additions. TWC?? Where is this billion/trillion dollar HD studio everyone was lathered up about? Haven't seen any HD there. CNBC? Don't even bother with the Disney garbage. MGM? Flipping ahead through the program guide there isn't one program that would slightly draw my attention on that channel. Hallmark? Give me a break. Last night I flipped through the new channels and less than a quarter of them had some sort of HD content at one time.

Looks to me like we lost the VOOM channels which actually had HD content, like them or not, and got "Dished-up" a big bowl of red herring soup. :hungry: :rolleyes:

I tend to agree with you on most of that. Taken away were 10 channels of true HD content and we were given Cartoon Network, where nothing is HD and others. I disagree about MGM because already going through the next week's schedule, if you are a movie fan, there are some really good classic movies there that have never been shown on any other HD movies channels including HDnet movies. I have looked at 4 movies today and these are all good HD masters, so I am very happy with that one. As a film fan, I will certainly miss Voom's Film Fest, that's for sure.

Join me in writing your congressional reps and the fcc and demand that in order for a provider to claim HD programming and charge for it, the channel must contain at least 75% true HD content, excluding commercials. As long as they can stretch a program and feed it as HD, they will continue to rip us off with phony HD programming

I agree with you 100% Cowchip. We lost the Voom Network for a bunch of junk. I personally don't care to watch CNN in HD or CNBC for that matter. I like TWC, but do we really need to see it in HD. We might as well have gotten the Commercial HD network. SciFi, USA, TNT, and TBS, need I say more. It is a shame we have to PAY for commercial filled programming on channels that mainly just show re-runs from OTA network TV. I am not happy with this so called HD Upgrade at all.

Join me in writing your congressional reps and the fcc and demand that in order for a provider to claim HD programming and charge for it, the channel must contain at least 75% true HD content, excluding commercials. As long as they can stretch a program and feed it as HD, they will continue to rip us off with phony HD programming

Do you really think that is feasible? All channels/networks have an extensive library of programming that has been built up over the years, much of which is repeated (some more than others) over an extended period of time. HD is in its infancy. While much (most?) new programming is produced in HD, the library of material available does not exist to program channels 24/7 with HD content without extensive repeats (a la VOOM).

I don't know about you, but I'm old enough to remember the transition to color programming. Our family was one of the first among my circle of friends to have a color TV. Broadcasters made a big deal about color programming. That's when the NBC peacock was born. It was a big deal when individual shows made the switch. Heck, you still see both black and white episodes of Andy Griffith, Beverly Hillbillies, and Gilligan's Island, just to name a few. It was a major story when each local station began transmitting in color. And yet, it took several years before nearly all programming was in color. I remember color commercials being interspersed with black and white commercials. I even remember having to adjust the color on the set for just about every show.

I want 100% HD programming as much as you or anyone else, but how do you think that can really happen? The vast majority, if not all, networks simulcast their HD and SD programming. People on this board were pretty happy when Food Network and a couple others ceased separate SD and HD programming. The broadcasters simply aren't going to throw away all their old shows that were produced in SD.

There will come a time, just as with color, that HD programming will become the norm. But just as with the color transition, that will take longer than we all wish it would.

If there were actualy legislation requiring 75% HD content for HD channels, the uproar over repetitive content would be deafening.

Okay,

I am trying to figure out what I am paying for on Dish. I moved to Dish from VOOM when VOOM went bust the first time. I was glad to keep the HD dream alive, because at the time Dish had the most number of HD channels that actually contained HD content.

I am now looking at the marketing on Dish's website.

The latest that I see is that there are over 80 national HD channels. Where?

The list of national HD channels showing if you subscribe to America's 250 plus HD Ultimate is only 45.

About a third of these 45 rarely have any true HD content, especially the newly added ones.

They discontinued the 15 channels from Voom that actually broadcast in HD, to replace them with 22? (I question the count) that aren't actually HD.

How do 45 "HD" channels count up to "over 80 national HD channels"?

If FIOS ever shows up in my neighborhood, I am will seriously consider what it offers.

Do you really think that is feasible? All channels/networks have an extensive library of programming that has been built up over the years, much of which is repeated (some more than others) over an extended period of time. HD is in its infancy. While much (most?) new programming is produced in HD, the library of material available does not exist to program channels 24/7 with HD content without extensive repeats (a la VOOM).

Unlike the transition from B&W to color, most of the content has been filmed. Yes the 1980s and 1990s had a lot of video taped sitcoms, but many shows were still filmed. HD is quite possible. Look at HD-NET they rerun all sorts of old shows in HD.

If the HD version does not exist they should at least take the effort of zooming in letterboxed programming. SciFi for example will show letterboxed stuff all the time in 4:3. Yes you can zoom it to fit right, but why do they not take the time to do it in advance. Tons of series are in letterboxed format, they should at least fill the screen. No, I do not want stretched or zoomed 4:3, leave real 4:3 as 4:3.

VOOM's lack of programming was lack of money. It takes money to get films and master them in HD. There is no excuse for their movie only channels not to have tons of programming except for them not spending the money to get the rights for the films and running them through a telecine machine.

I thought this the most appropriate thread. I didn't start another VOOM pity party thread.

Here is my interaction with online chat:

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
You have been connected to (03) Anthony K.
(03) Anthony K: Thank you for choosing Dish Network the leader in HD and DVR. I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
(03) Anthony K: Thank you for staying online.
(03) Anthony K: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
(03) Anthony K: I will help you with the information.
(03) Anthony K: In order to launch 22 of the most popular HD channels we replaced some of our lower rated HD programming.
(03) Anthony K: These channels are dropped Equator HD (ch. 9471)
Kung Fu HD (ch. 9479)
Monsters HD (ch. 9481)
Rave HD (ch. 9470)
Rush HD (ch. 9476) etc.
(03) Anthony K: We are excited to tell you that 22 new HD channels including The Weather Channel HD, Disney HD East, ESPNews HD and Cartoon HD have been added to our HD programming line-up for you to start enjoying today.
tdillon: I had a total of 15 Voom channels. They are ALL gone now.
(03) Anthony K: I am afraid to inform yes you are correct.
(03) Anthony K: I am glad to inform that in the coming weeks, we will launch additional new HD channels as we are committed to delivering our HD customers over 100 HD channels in the coming months.
tdillon: I looked at Cartoon HD, but none of the content is HD. It is upconverted SD.
(03) Anthony K: The Carrtoon Network is available in HD programming.
(03) Anthony K: Cartoon**
tdillon: I haven't checked the others. What is the list of 22 new channels, that replaced the 15 that got removed?
(03) Anthony K: ABC Family HD -new
Animal Planet HD*
Arts & Entertainment HD
BIG TEN NETWORK (Where Available)*
Biography HD^ -new
Bravo HD* -new
Cartoon HD -new
CNBC HD -new
CNN HD
Discovery HD
Disney East HD -new
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
ESPNews HD -new
FOOD NETWORK HD
Golf/VS HD Channel^
Hallmark Movies Channel^ -new
HD Theater
HDNET
The History Channel HD
Home & Garden TV HD
The Learning Channel HD
MHD
National Geographic HD^
NBA TV HD
Sci Fi HD*
The Science Channel HD^
TBS HD
Tennis Channel HD^ -new
TNT HD
Toon Disney HD* -new
Travel Channel -new
USA Network HD
The Weather Channel HD -new
(03) Anthony K: These are the some of the new channels available in HD programming now.
(03) Anthony K: Is there anything else I can do for you?
tdillon: What is the difference between HD Ultimate and HD Essentials?
(03) Anthony K: HD Ultimate is for $20 per month and HD Essential is for $10 per month.
(03) Anthony K: DISH Network -- Dish HD
(03) Anthony K: I request you to please visit the above link to have the complete information about both the HD packages.
tdillon: Yes, I looked there. What is the list of 5 channels that is costing me $10 more per month.
tdillon: You don't have a comparison chart anymore. You used to.
(03) Anthony K: Due to the recent changes made yesterday the HD Line up char is not yet updated.
(03) Anthony K: However once this chart is updated this will be available on our website./
tdillon: Okay. I will wait for it. I think that $2 per channel is probably too much, though.
(03) Anthony K: We appreciate your cooperation and understadning in this regard.
(03) Anthony K: You are most welcome.
(03) Anthony K: Thank you for using Dish Network Live Chat. Have a great night!
tdillon: Thanks
tdillon: Bye
(03) Anthony K: Take care and bye!
(03) Anthony K: As the conversation has ended and the issue being resolved, I'll now end the session.
Thank you for visiting Dish Network. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

I downgraded(?) to the DishHD w/locals package and for the most part I'm very happy. Yes, I will miss 3 or 4 of the Voom channels(If they never return!) but I like MOST of the new national HD channels that were added. I'm confident that Dish will reach their goal of 100 national HD channels by year end, but the HD that is the most important to me now is the access to my RSN & the $5.99 Sports package which is currently not available to DishHD customers. I e-mailed ceo@echostar.com because this is the missing element in making it the best value in the television industry IMO.

I just sent this to Customer Service. I will be curious to see what kind of response I get. If it's a canned response, I'm going to actually call DirecTV and see what they offer me.

WHERE are the Buffalo, NY locals in HD? We were promised these back in 2006. Now the DishNetwork website says, "May" and here it is mid-May and no HD locals yet.

PLEASE do not give me a canned answer and marketing smoke-and-mirrors. I've been a DishNetwork customer for such a long time you didn't even have installers when I started. It was all sent in a box and we self-installed.

I have HD service with AT250, HBO, Cinemax, locals and the HD Ultimate package. You removed 15 channels from that Ultimate package and replaced them with TEN that I have little interest in.

I am becoming increasingly frustrated. DirecTV has had our locals in HD for quite a while now. I really don't WANT to change providers, but I have to admit I am shopping DirecTV and they are offering many incentives to disgruntled DishNetwork customers.

This is simple. WHEN will I see Buffalo, NY locals in HD?
REALLY...

Thanks,

:D

yeah... you're funny. hehehe

I got a very vague, smoke-and-mirrors, kind of answer. So I called DirecTV. All told it would cost me $5 more the first year with D* and $140 more the second year (after promos drop off) to have basically what I have now as far as channel line-up, premiums, etc. So that's just not financially reasonable and there is really very little difference in the channel line-up. It came down to 2 channels that had any real significance. E* has Travel channel HD which we watch at least a couple times a week. D* has MSGHD which carries Buffalo Sabres games in HD so I'd watch that during hockey season. So... for me (and I realize that other people have other priorities)... it doesn't make sense to switch. So I'll wait it out.

I *will*, however, be going over the SD channel line-up for E* to see if we have any channels in there that people in my family just have to have. And *possibly* drop to the HD only package. My biggest problem with doing that is that I'd lose MSG completely and lose ALL of the Sabres hockey.

Just a little comment regarding the various little quips & digs about shutting down this thread or posting in the wrong thread or any other friggen remark about what should be in this thread or not:

Why bother when they can't even keep the HD RELATED THREADS IN THE FRIGGEN HD DISCUSSION FORUM ?! :D
...........never mind, I retract that smiley
:)