OFFICIAL External Storage Information

I now have 3 external hard drives of 3 different brands (Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital)

Is it safe to use the same AC Power supply for different hard drives? I think they're all 12 volts.

I'm already using the same USB cable without problem.

Don't assume. USB is a universal standard, power adapters aren't. Even if the connectors are the same you better check the output specs on the adapter.

NightRyder

ALL Hard drive required same +5 VDC and +12 VDC, so from this point all of them need same power.
Your AC power adapter serve the external enclosure what include HDD and interface board; what the board need check manual or it should be printed on the box outside close to power connector.

Western Digital MyBook drives use a single supply of 12V to a coax connector.
Most external boxes use both 5 and 12, often with a S-video 4-pin connector. Order may differ.
-Ken

Alright, before I give up this external HD idea can I get a few answers? Will I have difficulty watching anything from my 622 while I'm moving media from it to the external HD? Will I still be able to pause, ff, rw & record while the transfer takes place? Can I watch something already recorded during the transfer. And finally (I think) will I be able to watch it from the external with full controls or will I have to take it back to the 622? I will be using a WD 320 gb external hd. I'm sure you guys have field tested this and know the answers. Thanks for the help :confused:

Last edited:
External HDD Even List Sorted - Yea

I have 446.
Can I believe my eyes?
Has this been covered already?
Is the list of events on the external HDD now sorted?

I should have played with it more, but I have a transfer in progress.

Looks like the External HDD event list is picking up the sort setting from the PVR list.

As far as the Archos player goes, it will not act as a hard drive to the 622 yet...

There will be some kind of plugin software that you will need on the Archos which will be available this fall which will give you Archos PocketDish access.

Will ther be a plug-in or firmware update for the older Gen 4 Archos players??

Thermaltake Max 4 Active Cooling & Hitachi 1GB

I was thinking there was a specific thread where someone was summarizing viable external solutions, but didn't find it. Not sure if this is a good place for that, or not? But....

I have these two items in combination, and would like to report that they seem to work flawlessly. I'm not much for this idea that some folks have pushed that you don't want to leave USB hard drives on for extended periods. Certainly, that makes sense if you have them in some semi-cheap enclosure that simply does passive cooling, but I run a complex computer setup with a lot of hard drives (some in external arrays and some not), and I have that stuff running all of the time, so I'm in the habit of expecting to have things "ready" when I want to use them. I also don't want to be worried about having left my DVR-based USB drive on "accidentally", and be wondering whether it's going to get fried due to overheating.

So... I nabbed this enclosure (part # N0012US R), which has a whisper-silent fan (certainly the 622 is far louder than this fan), and also grabbed a Hitachi 1GB drive (their part # 0A35772). Put it all together in about five minutes, and the 622 recognized it just fine. Formatted out to about 930GB of available space. Copied stuff over, plays just like it did on the local drive. Trick play seems to work flawlessly. Bottom line, I'd certainly recommend this solution, especially if you don't want to be worried about heat and/or hassling with turning something off and on all of the time.

All, FWIW.

Last edited:
October Dish eNewsletter quote:

"If you currently have a state-of-the-art HD DVR, you have the ability to connect to an external storage device. For a low, one-time activation fee of $39.99 you can attach an external USB 2.0 hard disk drive to your USB port on your HD DVR receiver. See how it easy it is:"

Well I guess I will call them up to activate my 942....:D:D:D

I have 446.
Can I believe my eyes?
Has this been covered already?
Is the list of events on the external HDD now sorted?

I should have played with it more, but I have a transfer in progress.

Looks like the External HDD event list is picking up the sort setting from the PVR list.

I have 446. I don't see this on my EHDs.

Is it working for anyone else?

Worked on mine, at least for Alpha/Numeric and Recorded by date. :) Have to touch the sort in the regular DVR list and then go to the external drive.

NightRyder

I was thinking there was a specific thread where someone was summarizing viable external solutions, but didn't find it. Not sure if this is a good place for that, or not? But....

I have these two items in combination, and would like to report that they seem to work flawlessly. I'm not much for this idea that some folks have pushed that you don't want to leave USB hard drives on for extended periods. Certainly, that makes sense if you have them in some semi-cheap enclosure that simply does passive cooling, but I run a complex computer setup with a lot of hard drives (some in external arrays and some not), and I have that stuff running all of the time, so I'm in the habit of expecting to have things "ready" when I want to use them. I also don't want to be worried about having left my DVR-based USB drive on "accidentally", and be wondering whether it's going to get fried due to overheating.

So... I nabbed this enclosure (part # N0012US R), which has a whisper-silent fan (certainly the 622 is far louder than this fan), and also grabbed a Hitachi 1GB drive (their part # 0A35772). Put it all together in about five minutes, and the 622 recognized it just fine. Formatted out to about 930GB of available space. Copied stuff over, plays just like it did on the local drive. Trick play seems to work flawlessly. Bottom line, I'd certainly recommend this solution, especially if you don't want to be worried about heat and/or hassling with turning something off and on all of the time.

All, FWIW.

So a potential problem with transferring movies is the WD notebook gets too hot and shuts down, therefore you risk not getting a full transfer or worse you lose everything on the drive. :confused:

So a potential problem with transferring movies is the WD notebook gets too hot and shuts down, therefore you risk not getting a full transfer or worse you lose everything on the drive. :confused:
Do not use a notebook drive.

Worked on mine, at least for Alpha/Numeric and Recorded by date. :) Have to touch the sort in the regular DVR list and then go to the external drive.

NightRyder

Well this is a start but what we really need is groups and folders for the EHD. When you have a few hundred shows on the EHD it's very hard to find by scroll...scroll...scroll.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)