OFFICIAL Toshiba firmware 1.2 update NOW AVAILABLE!

Ilya said:
If you have it in another room, just run a long CAT5 cable - you will only need this for an hour. That's what I did.

Alternatively, you can take the player to the room where you have Ethernet. You don't need HDTV set for the update. Just connect it to a regular TV. Of course you will not be able to read the License Agreement page on a small TV, but who reads it anyway?! :D
That agreement is hard to read even at 47 inches.

CochiseGuy said:
It's quite possible - that's where that whole "unofficial" version started, a guy claimed he received his XA1 back from Toshiba service with the 1.2 firmware version on it, and extracted it to a CD.
When I read the post I took it as he got a CD copy of the update (mayby someone who works for Toshiba?) and then had problems extracting it to a computer for download.

vurbano said:
For me its a keeper, and Im a tightwad who looks for price and value. Just order from VE, the free HD DVDs make it a great deal. Considering what you paid in the past, Im surprised you havent gone for it. And its easy to unload on ebay if you dont want to keep it. When the stock of HD-A1's runs out the price goes way up. My only reservation is that my RPTV isnt doing 1920x1080i so Im not sure exactly how good the HD is on the high end sets. (That will change this year or next though, Onecall has the 50 inch HLS5087w 1080p Sammy DLP for $2199 on preorder and SED technology is supposed to hit at the end of the year with 100,000:1 contrast ratios and cheaper production costs than LCD and DLP). What I do know is, I seem to see the flaws in "crap" pretty quickly on this set. I.e, macroblocking, washed out picture etc. Ive no macroblocking and only washed out colors on poor transfers like Full Metal Jacket, the colors pop if the movie is a good transfer. Seems to take a great bitrate/resolution to make it look great on my set, and Van Helsing on HD DVD is one of the best things Ive seen in a long while. Id guess its as good as OTA HD and better than anything on D*. Frankly if it were not for the series's and boxing on HBOHD and SHOHD, Id cancel them eventually due to this, when enough movies were available. But remember its all in the movie. If you buy the player, buy Van Helsing and watch it first. Thats my advice. (And turn on the remote sound, it assures you that the unit is reading your keypresses. Also I like the 2nd screen skin for the unit)

Disclaimer: Poster is a current Directv HDlite Hostage starving for a drink of real HD.

Thanks Vurbano, now all I need to do is talk the wife in to it!

Thanks for the advice on the upload Ilya!

Re: selling your wife on the HD-A1, I would suggest the following strategy. Purchase it from a place in which you can return it within 30 days. Order several wife-friendly HD-DVDs from Netflix and emphasize the beautiful PQ and sound. I have Phantom of the Opera right now which is perhaps the best movie that I've seen on the player. Then, before you know it, the 30 days have passed.

But I should warn you that my wife still maintains that she can't tell the difference between the HD-DVDs and the regular DVDs.

Hoopnoop said:
Thanks for the advice on the upload Ilya!

Re: selling your wife on the HD-A1, I would suggest the following strategy. Purchase it from a place in which you can return it within 30 days. Order several wife-friendly HD-DVDs from Netflix and emphasize the beautiful PQ and sound. I have Phantom of the Opera right now which is perhaps the best movie that I've seen on the player. Then, before you know it, the 30 days have passed.

But I should warn you that my wife still maintains that she can't tell the difference between the HD-DVDs and the regular DVDs.

Thanks, After being married to me for almost 31 years she has put up with a lot. I'm always buying toys. If I were to list all the electronics I own or bought and gave away,most people here would be jealous. I will try the Fathers Day card, along with it beiing my birthday 2 days before. My wife is one of those that can't tell what the Hell she's watching. But I'm thinking Phantom of the Opera for her, as a good choice for a chick flick. Also I have to get her down to the local BB for a demo. That is if they ever get it working there. I went there today and there it was, same as 2 weeks ago. HDMI ERROR. I guess they don't know about the upgrade yet. I would have told them myself, but no one came anywhere near me.

teamerickson said:
When I read the post I took it as he got a CD copy of the update (mayby someone who works for Toshiba?) and then had problems extracting it to a computer for download.

You're right, I misunderstood his posts. He did claim he got his XA1 back from service with the update but, reading further, it does appear he also got his hands on a copy of the update CD.

yorkie2k said:
My HD-XA1 just came back from service with new firmware (Version 1.2/1.09/2.0O) ! I'd sent it in for freezing & lockups. I'll be trying it later tonight and will report results.

yorkie2k said:
Still working great with the new firmware. Several movies played and NO freezing or lockups. I don't use HDMI so I can't confirm any improvements on that.

I now have a copy of the v1.2 firmware update disc. My source tells me that discs should be available to all by next week (6/5 is the target), but I'll post the file here for those who just can't wait. Anyone know a way to extract the image file so I can post it? My computer says the disc is an invalid format. My HD-XA1 reads it fine.

Hey guys....I most definately had a smoother/sofeter picture with the HDDVD The Last Samurai,once I did the update.

I followed the instructions at the AVS forum......I unplugged the player,then Initialized it( it does wipe out all mod settings)..the powered of unit the ...finally powewred it back on!

I could tell an imediate change in the picture!!!There was more clarity and better blacks!!!!!

I would advise everybody to do this procedure......P.S If I hadn't watched TLS 10 times I would not have noticed any picture difference ...I watched certain scenes over & over again after the initilization .....just to see if my eyes were deceiving me.

BUt there is better clarity & better blacks......once you initialize after the update!!!

Ok, I just did the update. I had ordered a disk but I got tired of waiting for it. I got a 50' cable and downloaded the update.

I was having problems on my Apollo 13 disk. Locks up after the launch. After the update, it doesn't lock up...it kicks into high FF for about a second.

Doesn't lock up anymore though. I'm not really sure if I like it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)