Oh boy.. Here comes that merger talk again...

1930s to the 1970 Folks got their programming via terrestrial antenna
1970's -2010'ish Antennas were replaced w/ Cable or Satellite TV
Now 2010 and beyond is shifting from traditional subscription based programming to online streaming...Netflix and Hulu for example allow users to watch that they want when they want it and now pay for a package of 50channels when they only want 14.

Cable/SAT companies, as they are now, will cease to exist down the road as the public is grown tired of pre-selected subscription packages. Merging now or soon makes sense for both companies. I also predict this merger will start a merging trend amongst the cable companies.

Cheers, K

Now 2010 and beyond is shifting from traditional subscription based programming to online streaming...Netflix and Hulu for example allow users to watch that they want when they want it and now pay for a package of 50channels when they only want 14.

Cable/SAT companies, as they are now, will cease to exist down the road as the public is grown tired of pre-selected subscription packages. Merging now or soon makes sense for both companies. I also predict this merger will start a merging trend amongst the cable companies.

Cheers, K

I see a couple of problems here.
1. Will the government block the merger again?
2. Will internet providers get cranky with bandwidth usages? How many complaints are there now with caps being put in place.

Just saying what I see as roadblocks.

If both companies want to offer 4K programming a merger would make it the most feasible bandwidth wise.

Can't we just ban ever recurring speculative posts about merging. If either provider actually talks about it then lets talk..... (Just kidding on banning, but please)

And will all remember that these rumors are always started by some obscure analyst, on the outside looking in.

There is no way that a merger would benefit customers.. Unless you consider paying more is a benefit. I hope a merger is denied. I like Dish better than Direct... I've had both and Dish seems to be better price, better customer service, and better equipment.

There is no way that a merger would benefit customers.. Unless you consider paying more is a benefit. I hope a merger is denied. I like Dish better than Direct... I've had both and Dish seems to be better price, better customer service, and better equipment.
There is no merger.

Cheers, K

sat will not disapear anytime soon
there are too many people that have no other option
rural america cannot get high speed internet
tv reception can be spotty in rural areas

Why do you say a merger will automatically mean higher prices to us?

If a merger were to happen it would give them more leverage with the entertainment providers being both subscribers bases would be considered one. A merger could also mean more RSN's and other sports.

If a merger were to happen it would give them more leverage with the entertainment providers being both subscribers bases would be considered one. A merger could also mean more RSN's and other sports.

I agree, they still have Cable, FIOS, and Uverse to compete against. Add the subs from both sat companies together, and that single Sat company could have some more leverage against the networks. It would be around 35 million subs, so if a network pulls a channel due to a dispute, they wouldn't be able to hold out as long, and that could mean lower prices for us.

One word SiriusXM! Yes they agreed not to raise rates for a while but that didn't stop them from raising some things and adding fees. Plus they got ride of free Internet radio. Some see that as raising the rates. I could see that happening again.

I fear that a merger would result in Dish being absorbed by Directv. I fear that for several reasons. But, the main one is the band on which Directv's signal is sent. In my area, lighter rain events knock out Directv's signal, where it usually takes a significant storm to eliminate Dish. I know others have different feelings, but for me, this is the case. In fact, my in laws jumped from Directv back to Comcast, partly because of the rain fade. I couldn't convince them to go Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)