Oh My Lord, What Have I Done?!

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
I just had the ViP622 DVR installed about an hour ago. I am (was) going through and scheduling what us TiVo folk refer to as a season pass, when I realized ...

:mad:I CAN ONLY RECORD ONE HIGH DEFINITION PROGRAM AT A TIME!!!!!:mad:

Someone, please chime in, tell me what a dullard I am and that the ViP622 will in fact allow me to record TWO LIVE HD FEEDS while watching a recorded show and/or watch a show in SD on the second TV.

It will let you record two HD feeds while you watch recorded material, provided that both are coming from satellite channels. While the 622 has two satellite tuners, it only has one OTA tuner. It will not record two OTA HD feeds simultaneously. Not sure if that is what you're trying or not.

in fact, you can simultaneously record two HD sat feeds, and one OTA HD feed (total of 3) and still be able to watch recorded material.

Thank you all ... I promise to RTFM before I panic in the furure. As it was ... I am trying to record TWO OTA that overlap timeslots (L&O on Tuesday) I'll just record one from satellite instead since I do have Denver HDLIL.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

P.S. I would have looked but I am trying to finish up work BEFORE my 5:00 online poker tourney and the wife comes home.

This is a good point and question for newbies. Enabling this or that and knowing what you need to do without asking, is there a simple newbie faq i=on these first setup options and what they do and what you need to do?

Maybe someone in the know could post a newbie FAQ here?

(like - step #1 - enable this, step #2 - then enable that, step #3 - and make sure this is set and that is set. and so on)???

Slacker - it takes awhile to get used to the 622, but YOU WILL LOVE IT! (Other than those nasty weeks when E* spools bad software. :(

DWS44 said:
It will let you record two HD feeds while you watch recorded material, provided that both are coming from satellite channels. While the 622 has two satellite tuners, it only has one OTA tuner. It will not record two OTA HD feeds simultaneously. Not sure if that is what you're trying or not.

in fact, you can simultaneously record two HD sat feeds, and one OTA HD feed (total of 3) and still be able to watch recorded material.

that is why I can't get PIP on Sunday's with OTA signal with both in HD. TY

rockymtnhigh said:
Slacker - it takes awhile to get used to the 622, but YOU WILL LOVE IT! (Other than those nasty weeks when E* spools bad software. :(

I do like it a lot ... with this one glitch resolved I know what I need to do. I will in fact read the manual, but I do not like the FAQ idea ... then I have to read twice. I was just VERY THANKFUL, thank I could come here and get an answer because honestly I was:

Updating the Harmony remote
Preparing for a Pot-limit card game
Seeing if I would get the AVS game in HD
Talking to the vet on the telephone
Posting at AVS about my dead subwoofer
Checking waivers in my FFL
TRYING to have a rum and coke

and out course learn Chinese ... well same thing but I am picking up the 622 more quickly ;)

Some times you just want an answer quickly, but tomorrow I will RTFM like I said I would ... so I can help others.

New Question, Same Topic

OK, so I did RTFM this morning and I am sitting here confused as we speak. Either I have no intelligence built in to me, or the 622 has none built into it. I am going with the latter.

I setup a timer to record 'Batman Begins' last night. It is recording as we speak. The problem is since it is recording, it is not allowing me to change the channel!!! When I select another program from the EPG I am told "Your request will stop the TV recordingand switch to live mode TV. Do you wish to stop recording?" Well heck no I don't, otherwise I would have not started the recording in the first place.

Common sense tells me if I want to watch TV while recording a show it needs to be recording on TV2, however, that is my SD set and I do not want the recordings done in SD. TV2 is off. I did not see how I may make TV1, TV2 instead so I may change channels. Do I really need to record everything on TV2, if yes, this pretty much disables TV2 for life as I am almost always recording something.

Someone please (once again) tell me I am a dullard and that I am mis-using the product.

Slacker,

TV1 and TV2 are both HD tuners; yes, your output to TV2 gets downrezzed to SD (but a better SD than you get in SD). Set the option to record to TV2 by default, so if you are only recording one show, you can watch it on the HDTV, and it will record on TV2. Heck, if you get bored while watching, you can go to the DVR menu, select the show you are recording, and start watching it from the beginning, while it is recording.

Last night I had TV1, TV2, and OTA recording at the same time. I still can't imagine how the hard drive keeps up with writing that amount of data (all of it HD). But somehow it does.

You'll get the hang of it quickly.

Edit: I would also say that you are going to have to record to at least one of the tuners, so record to the tv you think you will watch less. For me that is the SD tv. During the primetime hours, I will fiddle with timers to make sure I get the one I want recording on TV1. There is another challenge, channels like ABC tend to start the hour BEFORE Dish's clock starts the hour. This requires setting the option to start early. Unfortunately, you can start a recording early, and can end it late, but can't start it early, and end it early. That can be difficult when you want to record a LOT of stuff.

Last edited:
rockymtnhigh said:
There is another challenge, channels like ABC tend to start the hour BEFORE Dish's clock starts the hour. This requires setting the option to start early. Unfortunately, you can start a recording early, and can end it late, but can't start it early, and end it early. That can be difficult when you want to record a LOT of stuff.

Work around on this is to set up manual timers you want to end early. Granted it is more work to do this, but might be worth it in your case.

OK, well I updated the timers and now they are set for TV2. So this being the case, When TV2 is recording, if I am watching TV1, may I still watch a previously DVR'ed program on TV2 and or may I watch a live OTA program on TV2?

Since there is only one OTA tuner, I ass-u-me :D that I cannot record an OTA program AND watch live OTA programming PERIOD on either set. Is that correct?

garys said:
Work around on this is to set up manual timers you want to end early. Granted it is more work to do this, but might be worth it in your case.
It might be, most most of my OTA is on NBC (L&O) and they start 2 minutes early, so it would be safe to once again assume I may stop two minutes early.

slacker9876 said:
OK, well I updated the timers and now they are set for TV2. So this being the case, When TV2 is recording, if I am watching TV1, may I still watch a previously DVR'ed program on TV2 and or may I watch a live OTA program on TV2?

Since there is only one OTA tuner, I ass-u-me :D that I cannot record an OTA program AND watch live OTA programming PERIOD on either set. Is that correct?

It might be, most most of my OTA is on NBC (L&O) and they start 2 minutes early, so it would be safe to once again assume I may stop two minutes early.

Yes. You can watch a DVR on Tv2 while recording.

And yes, you can not watch TWO live OTA tuners; and the OTA channels you map to the 622 are only accessible on TV1.

Garys is correct; if you use a manual timer you can have it stop early. Why I didn't think of that is not clear, since I DID JUST THAT yesterday. :rolleyes:

You can record a digital OTA signal and watch it at the same time (or watch satellite or DVR'd material at the same time). But you cannot record one OTA signal and watch a different one, as there is only one OTA tuner.

BTW, there is a trick to watching an OTA signal on TV2. Just start recording to DVR the OTA program on TV1 and then on TV2 pick that DVR program to watch. You'll only be a few seconds behind live.

navychop said:
You can record a digital OTA signal and watch it at the same time (or watch satellite or DVR'd material at the same time). But you cannot record one OTA signal and watch a different one, as there is only one OTA tuner.

BTW, there is a trick to watching an OTA signal on TV2. Just start recording to DVR the OTA program on TV1 and then on TV2 pick that DVR program to watch. You'll only be a few seconds behind live.

That's a great workaround. Thanks navychop!

Or you can operate in the "Single" mode and have full OTA functions available on both TV1 and TV2 at the same time...

Even though it is off-topic I just wanted to say thanks to the members have contrubited to resolving MY PROBLEMS. Perhaps a mod would sticky an close this thread as it appears to embody what I would guess most users may ask, it is a short read and quite adept if I say so myself!

If you do, perhaps change the topic to "ViP622 recording guide for TiVo users."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts