Ohio

BFG

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 2, 2004
Orlando
This is the thread to discuss cable companies and HD available on them in Ohio.

Time warner cleveland market is a really really nice picture and they have all the major hd channels out there now, I have directv, but I am really really thinking of switching yet again back to cable, but i will wait to see what the next couple months hold for directv!@

Here is the latest promotional offer I've got from Adelphia:

Gold Pack (all analog + digital basic plus + 2 premium packs)
$49.95 for 12 months, $74.95 after that.
HD-DVR Combo $7.95
DVR Service $5.00
HD Plus $4.95

Total before taxes: $67.85

$29.95 installation
$19.95 for each additional outlet installed

Sounds reasonable to me.

HD channels available:

703 WKYC HD
704 WOIO HD
705 WEWS HD
708 WJW HD
710 WVIZ HD
750 HD HBO (with HBO pack only)
751 HD SHOWTIME (with ShowTime pack only)
752 HD STARZ Starz (with Starz pack only)
753 HD CINEMAX (with Cinemax pack only)
770 HD NET
771 HDN MOVIES
772 ESPN HD
773 ESPN2 HD
774 INHD1
775 INHD2
776 Discovery HD
778 NFL HD
799 HD PPV Events

18 HD channels... Not bad for Adelphia!

Ilya,

I scheduled Comcast for their Dump the Dish offer (with 150 channels, 13 are HD), $39/mth + $5 for the HD box or $10 for the PVR box, NO CONTRACT! Installation set for April 30, (no charge).

I will get a copy of the last cancelled check from the bank to show the installer that I dumped DISH (last month).

Hopefully, D* or E* will have something better later this year. Right now D* looks like my best bet for HDTV service after their 3 new birds go "active" this summer. Price plan of HD service may be costly from D*, will wait and see.

Goodbye VOOM, I hardly knew ya ! :(

I dumped Adelphia for VOOM back in 2003. At that time they only had 3-4 HD channels. Looks like now I don't have another choice, but to come back to them, at least until another DBS provider takes HD seriously...
Fortunately Adelphia has expanded their HD lineup significantly. And as you said, NO CONTRACT is the big thing about cable! ;)

Hopefully Adelphia gets purchased from there bankruptcy problem so we can get a real cable company. I believe the Adelphia CEO problems really slowed the growth in my area for HD service. It seems like everything they sell is only temporary pricing for 1 year, 6 months then goes through the roof.

Buckeye Cable

Well here in the Toledo area Buckeye Cable is a good provider. Very efficient, decent HD choices, but ....
My problem is that it is owned by the same family that owns the Toledo Blade.
I will be happy to use their services until D* converts to Mpeg four and rolls out the proper equipment.
Anyways enough ranting, just checking into my new home forum(for now).

Ilya said:
I dumped Adelphia for VOOM back in 2003. At that time they only had 3-4 HD channels. Looks like now I don't have another choice, but to come back to them, at least until another DBS provider takes HD seriously...
Fortunately Adelphia has expanded their HD lineup significantly. And as you said, NO CONTRACT is the big thing about cable! ;)

I totally agree with you. I did the same thing. Adelphia is here May 3 . Too much Sat drama with HD.

Adelphia's HD lineup in Ohio is pretty good. 18 HD channels! Even after E* adds 10 VOOM HD channels, Adelphia still remains competitive!

Ilya said:
Adelphia's HD lineup in Ohio is pretty good. 18 HD channels! Even after E* adds 10 VOOM HD channels, Adelphia still remains competitive!

I know. I was impressed when I made the call today. A year ago (when I got Voom), Adelphia HD was NOT available in Brunswick. Now it is. I called on a whim to see if it was available now. I hated the thought of adding another Dish on the roof (making 2 Dishes and an OTA antenna).. until a Sat provider has one dish FOR ALL...at a lower price. I see myself sticking with cable for awhile.

Hows the Adelphia HD PQ for you (compared to Voom)? My Adelphia install is May 3.

dtsfanohio said:
Hows the Adelphia HD PQ for you (compared to Voom)?
Actually, not too bad! Some shows on InHD look spectacular! But it's very inconsistent. The PQ varies wildly from channel to channel and from time to time. Currently, HDNet looks the worst - a lot of pixelation! But honestly, I wasn't watching Adelphia much lately. Now, after the VOOOM shutdown, I'll be catching up... ;)

Good luck with your install!

Ilya said:
Actually, not too bad! Some shows on InHD look spectacular! But it's very inconsistent. The PQ varies wildly from channel to channel and from time to time. Currently, HDNet looks the worst - a lot of pixelation! But honestly, I wasn't watching Adelphia much lately. Now, after the VOOOM shutdown, I'll be catching up... ;)

Good luck with your install!

Thanks. I will post back after the install.

dtsfanohio said:
Thanks. I will post back after the install.

The Adelphia install was today and all is well. The PQ looks good on the HD stuff. It is as good as Voom if not better. The DVR is easy to use; the recorded programs look good....Once the Voom 21 package is added, we are all set!

I dont see myself going back to satellite until I get all my locals in HD, etc. with ONE DISH at a lower price! I could be waiting for a while! huh?

I am happy so far!

Congratulations on your new install!
Please post your impressions once you get a chance to watch it for some time.
Digital SD channels look surprisingly good (at least some of them)!
Let me know if you see constant pixelation on HDNet, though. Could be a local thing, though.

Ilya said:
Congratulations on your new install!
Please post your impressions once you get a chance to watch it for some time.
Digital SD channels look surprisingly good (at least some of them)!
Let me know if you see constant pixelation on HDNet, though. Could be a local thing, though.

I am very happy so far... I have not noticed the pixelation on HDNET yet but have not watched it that much, to be honest. I find that INHD 1/2 seems to have similar programming to Rave and Equator. Hopefully VOOM/E* will get some new content and send it over to Adelphia (TWC/Comcast) soon!

The box works great, easy to use, and I upgraded my remote to the Harmony 880 (Best Buy is now selling them) and love it! The Logitech Harmony Tech Support customized some buttons for me "on the fly" as we spoke on the phone. Very helpful!

seems like alot of people have been suprised by the quality that cable has when coming back from voom, dish, directv. I grew up with satellite (pretty much since i was about 15) so everything I have known about cable, is that it is of good quality, I especially love my HDTV. I am glad people are happy with cable as a comparable to sat. service

stuart628 said:
seems like alot of people have been suprised by the quality that cable has when coming back from voom, dish, directv. I grew up with satellite (pretty much since i was about 15) so everything I have known about cable, is that it is of good quality, I especially love my HDTV. I am glad people are happy with cable as a comparable to sat. service

I have had Adelphia HD now for a week. The HD PQ and AQ, I think overall is consistently better than VOOM! I like the HD DVR. The DVR box has an upconverter (this was a nice surprise, I didnt realize this..) and the SD channels, of course, look BETTER than Voom... As long as they keep adding HD content, and ontune to be price competitive.. I dont see myself going back to satellite anytime soon.

just to let you guys know, talked to my time warner guy and the 8300hd dvr,and 8300 multi room dvr are going to be released later this year, sometime in the fall, also every analog channel will be digital (they are not cutting analog, just making the ones they have also have a digital counterpart) sometime in the fall also, enjoy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)