OK, boys and girls, here (isn't) the software news we have all been waiting for

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The optical out jack broke on my stb but I just switched it over to the coax connector, maybe I should call for a box swap. ;-)

JimP said:
Does this not confirm that the only way you're getting the new software is with a box swap.
No, this only confirms one thing: don't believe everything the CSRs say! ;)

luke637 said:
Looks like Voom/Tribune/Moto is still manually fixing channel maps and not relying on an imaginary software push as the 'fix' for everyone to get their OTA mapping issues worked out. If the new software was going to be pushed anytime soon, why would they still be doing this?
The way I understand it, they still have to update the Tribune OTA maps in order to make the PG work for those new channels.

All these maps hit last week after 7/15. Check this thread:

7/14 OTA Mapping Adds to Motorola Box

In NYC we did not have the Pax (channel 31), now we do.

Make sure to read this thread: How does OTA Scanning works in new software? If you have the installation wizard, there will be a good chance that you will get your locals but there may be still some problems such as your local station passing PSIP id data. Without this, the scanning function will not detect your local(s).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but:

Even if you get a new box, you won't have the latest software. Even those who get the "newer" software with a new box, doesn't mean you'll have the same software that will eventually get pushed out. So really, what's the point?

ChetK said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but:

Even if you get a new box, you won't have the latest software. Even those who get the "newer" software with a new box, doesn't mean you'll have the same software that will eventually get pushed out. So really, what's the point?

Yes, that is correct...

JimP said:
ding ding ding ding

Does this not confirm that the only way you're getting the new software is with a box swap.

If it was just a software download, somebody in our group would have gotten it by now.

We need a new thread on how to creatively cause your box to die. Is lightning covered?

This is exactly what I had said the CSR had told me 3 weeks ago. The new software is in a next generation box that started shipping 3 weeks ago for new installs. I asked again over the weekend and the CSR affirmed this and said he understood a EPROM chip had to be re programmed in the STB before the new software could be downloaded. The only way a EPROM chip can be programmed is with a EPROM reader/writer and that has to be done at Motorola or in a shop with the STB physically there. Soooo... I ask again, show me ONE person who has received the now 3 week old NEW software by a download form the satellite. The CSR a couple of weeks ago said that Voom was going to dodge the bullet about the new software for existing boxes due to the maybe near roll out of the DVR this fall which will have the new software with it. Once the DVR is available, nobody will care about the old software. They will only be concerned with how they can upgrade to the DVR.

I seriously doubt that unless they lease the DVR for the same price as they lease the current box. Many people don't want to "upgrade" to a DVR and are happy with what they have now.

Indy said:
This is exactly what I had said the CSR had told me 3 weeks ago. The new software is in a next generation box that started shipping 3 weeks ago for new installs. I asked again over the weekend and the CSR affirmed this and said he understood a EPROM chip had to be re programmed in the STB before the new software could be downloaded. The only way a EPROM chip can be programmed is with a EPROM reader/writer and that has to be done at Motorola or in a shop with the STB physically there. Soooo... I ask again, show me ONE person who has received the now 3 week old NEW software by a download form the satellite. The CSR a couple of weeks ago said that Voom was going to dodge the bullet about the new software for existing boxes due to the maybe near roll out of the DVR this fall which will have the new software with it. Once the DVR is available, nobody will care about the old software. They will only be concerned with how they can upgrade to the DVR.

This is not correct. There are beta testers who have the software via download to the same boxes that you and I have. The software works for those boxes. If VOOM has not released the software is because it has not passed the beta testing mode. So be assure that when it is ready and less buggy than what it is right now, everyone will get it.

Sean, How many Voom boxes are being installed on a daily basis right now everyday and for the last 3 weeks for new customers? ALL THE NEW BOXES HAVE THE NEW SOFTWARE INSTALLED. Good enough "BETA" version for ALL new installs? Your argument has a few thousand holes in it in my opinion. But, I really don't care one way or the other about the software. I just think we are not getting the whole story here.

Also you state Voom has not released the software for general consumption yet. Think about that statement then ask yourself what software is being installed in ALL the new boxes being activated?

Indy said:
Sean, How many Voom boxes are being installed on a daily basis right now everyday and for the last 3 weeks for new customers? ALL THE NEW BOXES HAVE THE NEW SOFTWARE INSTALLED. Good enough "BETA" version for ALL new installs? Your argument has a few thousand holes in it in my opinion. But, I really don't care one way or the other about the software. I just think we are not getting the whole story here.

Also you state Voom has not released the software for general consumption yet. Think about that statement then ask yourself what software is being installed in ALL the new boxes being activated?

Indy,
I think that Sean is right and you are wrong. The new boxes have "newer" software that we have right now but it is NOT the software that we all will get "soon". The only two plausible reasons, IMO, for the delay are 1) there are still a few bugs that need to be squashed; 2) a new important feature or features are being added to the version available in the new boxes. Both reasons justify the delay.

OK. How about this idea? I will start a new thread and ask the Beta testers to step forward and be counted.

Sean,

...not to beat a dead horse, but on numerous occasions over the past 9 days I have been told by Voom E-mail support the update was being pushed to the masses. How can it possibly be "less buggy" when we are 9 days into a 2 week production cycle?

Why are 10 different people getting 6 different answer from Voom? We just want a straight answer :) Yikes!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=150993&postcount=35

Perhaps the CSR I spoke to this morning wasn't mistaken when she told me all receivers would be upgraded (as in replaced) by year end.

Voom, we ask that you place the horse in front of the buggy...and you give us a beaten horse being dragged by buggy software. :shocked

Riff...<EOT>

Don't know where CSRs are getting their information. As far as I know, new customers are getting the 6.0 version because it has the installation wizard which makes it easier for the installers and the customers. It also has the scanning feature which makes it a lot easier to deal with OTA local channels and this minimizes the number of new customers that have to deal with mapping issues. The only reason the installation wizard was installed in new boxes (for new customers and those getting new boxes) was because of a production deadline;

As to the rest of us, we are waiting for the update which will be a later version than 6.0. 6.0 version is very stable and works well but it does not addresses all the issues in 5.68 and there new issues that arose on 6.0.

In my experience, CSRs will tell you whatever you want to believe. If you choose to believe the information, the information is sometimes erroneous and sometimes is fine. In this case, I am telling you that it does not agree with what I have been told.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)