Ok Directv, Here is some feedback from this years Nascar hotpass

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Im starting to seriously thinking about going back to E* if this continues... Especally with the channel launches in may. The only thing that is holding me back is 1, NFL suday ticket. 2. Comcast Sports net Chicago is not full time, Waiting on channel launches this spring from dish.

Come spring, I may be dropping D* if this continues. Allthough it would be nice if E* did get back MLB.

I've thought about going to E* but ultimately I have issues with the way they do their hardware that keeps me from going there. They will only lease 4 tuners (I currently have 9 active) and I don't what the extra upfront expense of having to buy instead of lease the extra tuners. Also I don't like the dual room dvrs because the two rooms have to share the tuners and hard drive. I like the flexibility of having DVRs in each room with their own tuners and hard drive. The one advantage of E*'s setup is MRV, but they way D* is going to implement their MRV I like that way better.

Instead of saying this is Malones fault anyone think that maybe HotPass was a money loosing option and that DirecTV decided to stop the loss? I'd guess it was talking a lot of man power with the additional on air talent, the crew needed to monitor all the feeds and decide which to put up plus the backhaul bandwidth and additional downlink transponders, both SD and HD.

I cancelled before the start of the 2008 season, the only reason I signed up again was that SatRacer over at DBS talk was getting special deals for folks to renew.

For me it isn't just D* dropping Hotpass, it's the way D* has been going overall that has made me unhappy.

I will agree and say that something happened to DirecTV when Liberty Media took over. I believe the fun free wheeling days of DirecTV are over for now (until Liberty unloads DirecTV to AT&T)

DirecTV has such momentum going and then it just stopped overnight. But with that said from a business standpoint it probably had to happen.

until Liberty unloads DirecTV

pray.gif

But with that said from a business standpoint it probably had to happen.

What do you mean by it had to happen? What do think would've happen if it didn't happen?

They couldn't go on freewheeling like they were. For a period there it almost seemed like uncle Rupert (Murdoch) had a very open wallet.

Instead of saying this is Malones fault anyone think that maybe HotPass was a money loosing option and that DirecTV decided to stop the loss? I'd guess it was talking a lot of man power with the additional on air talent, the crew needed to monitor all the feeds and decide which to put up plus the backhaul bandwidth and additional downlink transponders, both SD and HD.

I cancelled before the start of the 2008 season, the only reason I signed up again was that SatRacer over at DBS talk was getting special deals for folks to renew.

I'd have to agree with this. It probably cost DirecTV more to do HotPass then it does to do anything with Sunday Ticket or Extra Innings. With those they basically just pass on the games, they aren't doing a whole lot of extra producing themselves other then the talking head on the Red Zone channel and that doesn't cost all that much to do. But HotPass was a lot to produce both manpower and technology wise. And it sounds like they didn't get as many subs as they thought it would, being that Nascar is so popular. But perhaps for most Nascar fans whatever is on TV is enough for them.

I will agree and say that something happened to DirecTV when Liberty Media took over. I believe the fun free wheeling days of DirecTV are over for now (until Liberty unloads DirecTV to AT&T)

DirecTV has such momentum going and then it just stopped overnight. But with that said from a business standpoint it probably had to happen.

Scott, weren't you then one that said that people shouldn't expect a ton of new HD channels once D11 went operational. That DirecTV was going to be very careful about what they added and not to expect a big rollout like D10 did? Other then that what has really changed that makes you say that?

Just got a note from DirecTV that basically confirms that HOTPASS is gone for 2009, however it points out that Hotpass will evolve into a new product for 2009 and to expect an announcement about the new product in a few weeks.

I will be interested in seeing what they have to offer.

Here is a news item from Nascar SceneDaily:

“Hot Pass as we know it today is changing,” Poston said in a statement. “Fans are still going to get unique content from DirecTV, but they won’t be getting fully produced channels. We’re still in discussion with DirecTV for enhancements for 2009.”

DirecTV officials released a statement later in the day.

"NASCAR and DirecTV decided to evolve Hot Pass into a new product that will be available to all DirecTV customers, free of charge, in 2009. We are working through the details now and will unveil the new service in the next few weeks."

A little more here:
DirecTV to change NASCAR Hot Pass - Sprint Cup Series | SceneDaily.com - NASCAR News

As a side note...

Revell stated today that they will be dropping Nascar models from their plastic model line-up as of Feb. 09. No new models (including a COT version) will be made. They cited the price that Nascar was demanding for licensing as the main reason. They said it would make the price point too high in their opinion.

ANNOUNCEMENT

December 8, 2008

To Our Loyal Customers:

Over the years we have been pleased to provide you with the finest NASCAR plastic model kits featuring the most popular drivers. Regrettably however, over the last several years we have faced increasing licensing costs that are greater than our increase in sales. Despite our best efforts to secure reasonable licensing terms for NASCAR model kits in general, and the Car of Tomorrow in particular, we have been unable to develop a program that allows us to market the product at a viable price point. Consequently, we will not be issuing a kit on the Car of Tomorrow and, in fact, will be exiting the NASCAR business altogether. We will discontinue all sales of NASCAR plastic kits by February 28, 2009.

This has been an extremely difficult decision to make as we are fully aware of the avid fan base of NASCAR model kit builders and truly appreciate your support over the years. We trust you will find other model kits in our line that will be of interest and that will provide you with the model building enjoyment you desire.

Please note that we still have inventory of selected models as shown below. Check with your favorite dealer to see if they are carrying any of the items. If they are out of stock, they can obtain any of these items for you very quickly through their distributor.

* 85 2029 0 0012 #20 Home Depot Monte Carlo ('04)
* 85 2030 0 0012 #48 Lowes Monte Carlo ('06)
* 85 2075 0 0012 #24 DuPont Monte Carlo ('07)
* 85 2078 0 0012 #20 Home Depot Monte Carlo ('04)
* 85 4206 0 0012 #11 FedEx Denny Hamlin

Cordially,

Revell, Inc.

Revell - The leader in replica plastic kits since 1945. - posted on home page.

I enjoyed building the plastic models for fun and then being able to display them. I felt better than just buying a diecast (plus they were cheaper). Oh well, yet another nail in the Nascar coffin. I feel Brian France is taking Nascar in the wrong (WWE) direction. Entertainment/profit over sport.

Last edited:
i think some of us are getting into panic mode a bit to soon. let's see what happens within the next few months. just a few months ago the talk was that E is running their business into the ground and D is on top of their game. Can things change so drastically that quick?

i don't get hd locals so i loved it because i could get the race in hd when it was on the the locals. didn't use the interactive features like i thought i would...

Status
Please reply by conversation.