OK Got my 942 Now the Questions about Setup

Kevin_Texas

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 26, 2003
Burbs of Dallas Texas
Got Several questions about the setup of the 942:

1: Do you have to run 2 separate RG6 cables from switch to each sat inputs on the receiver? The reason I ask this is because in the box there was a 2-way splitter and 2 small RG6 cables. On page 112 of the users guide there is a picture of the the splitter connected to sat and them split out to sat input 1 & 2 on the receiver. I tried this and got a failure on check switch. Had connect straight from swith to input 1..

2: On the TV2 output will you be able to see all sat channels on the 2 TV? Will you get the guide? The reason I ask this because on the receiver it says TV2 channels 2-69

I was able to get the receiver up and running but wanted know if I understand everything correctly before I ran another cable.

Thanks

You need a DP switch, if you have one of the legacy switches (SW64 or SW44) you will not be able to use the separator, I had the same problem and Dish send out a tech to install new LNBs and a new DP switch, after these were installed I was zooming on the 942 with the two tuners. Hope this helps.

dimi1963 said:
You need a DP switch, if you have one of the legacy switches (SW64 or SW44) you will not be able to use the separator, I had the same problem and Dish send out a tech to install new LNBs and a new DP switch, after these were installed I was zooming on the 942 with the two tuners. Hope this helps.

I had thought about that also. I checked the switch and it is showing DP34. I also have Dual LNB running to the switch with wing dish pointing to 61.5

dimi1963 said:
Here are the links to the description of the products, courtesy of Dishstore:

http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=160
http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=229

The DP34 will work fine, but you need to have 2 lines connected.

The DPP Separator can NOT be used with a DP switch, you must have a DP PLUS switch. Currently those are the DPP Twin and DPP44 (see links in post #4).

BobaBird said:
The DP34 will work fine, but you need to have 2 lines connected.

The DPP Separator can NOT be used with a DP switch, you must have a DP PLUS switch. Currently those are the DPP Twin and DPP44 (see links in post #4).

Thanks BobaBird :D

Now I understand!!

Do you know about TV2 having full sat stations and guide. See my question 2

Again thanks for your input

Kevin_Texas said:
2: On the TV2 output will you be able to see all sat channels on the 2 TV? Will you get the guide? The reason I ask this because on the receiver it says TV2 channels 2-69
Yes. Yes. If TV2 isn't close enough to use the A/V outputs you can instead use regular coax with the receiver's signal modulated onto your choice of TV channel. Set TV2 output to ch 60 and tune the other room's TV to ch 60 to view the 942. The wide choice of channels lets you avoid interference from broadcast stations and/or add the 942 to a whole-house distribution system with other modulated sources.

BobaBird said:
Yes. Yes. If TV2 isn't close enough to use the A/V outputs you can instead use regular coax with the receiver's signal modulated onto your choice of TV channel. Set TV2 output to ch 60 and tune the other room's TV to ch 60 to view the 942. The wide choice of channels lets you avoid interference from broadcast stations and/or add the 942 to a whole-house distribution system with other modulated sources.

Thanks

BobaBird said:

I've been trying to get that to work for a few days and I'm getting nothing on the other Coax lines. Since I'm in an apartment, is there a way to test whether or not the lines are actually even connected, like using a continuity tester or something?

ajax...
if you hook up the coax of tv2 to your 2nd tv...
you should just have to turn to (channel 60 is default)....for a picture...use the blue remote

you can change that channel number in your receiver menu

tdish said:
ajax...
if you hook up the coax of tv2 to your 2nd tv...
you should just have to turn to (channel 60 is default)....for a picture...use the blue remote

you can change that channel number in your receiver menu

I'm not running the coax direct though. I'm running it into the wall and I'm not getting anything back on the TV2. I have a feeling that there's a disconnect somewhere in the wiring and seeing as I'm in an apartment, there may not be a good way to fix it.

you can use a multimeter to check the wire...
what i have done is get a piece if aluminum foil....cover the wire and plug...
on the other end
check resistance between the wire and plug(wire shield)..should be less than 5ohms

if its open you have a broken wire.....

my suggestion....get a good wire.....move the tv(TV2) next to your hd tv and double check your receiver......

tdish said:
you can use a multimeter to check the wire...
what i have done is get a piece if aluminum foil....cover the wire and plug...
on the other end
check resistance between the wire and plug(wire shield)..should be less than 5ohms

if its open you have a broken wire.....

my suggestion....get a good wire.....move the tv(TV2) next to your hd tv and double check your receiver......
Hooked it up direct and it works fine. The picture is beautiful.
Now I just need to find my multimeter...

Thanks to everyone's help. Got her all hooked up and everything seems to be working fine. :D

I did have to run another RG6 down the wall since my switch is a DP34 Pro. To run a dual tuner off of one RG6 cable my switch needed to be at least a DP34 Pro "PLUS".

TV2 output is pretty good. Not as clear as I would hope but I have not played with the different channels yet to see if I am getting interference.

This my first DVR and I am already hooked. Pretty Cool. I have had a lot of people tell my I needed one. Now I know why.

I have seen a few comments that the SD picture is better on the 942. It looks about the same to me. I have not fine tuned my TV. So that might help

The DP34 is regular DishPro, there is no DP34 Pro "PLUS".

Currently the only DP Plus switches are the DPP44 and DPP Twin.

Welcome to the world of DVRs. Set up your timers and passes and start enjoying TV on your schedule.

BobaBird said:
The DP34 is regular DishPro, there is no DP34 Pro "PLUS".

Currently the only DP Plus switches are the DPP44 and DPP Twin.

Welcome to the world of DVRs. Set up your timers and passes and start enjoying TV on your schedule.

Thanks

Still learning all this switch stuff :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts