Ok guys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gremlin411

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
South East Texas
This darn azbox is kicking my behind. So I am going to hook it up to my router and hook the router to my computer and see if I can get it to load a sat file. what setting do I need to put in the azbox to try and make this work ( i.e. wired,dhcp, satic). When I say I am going to hook it up, I will run a cat5e cable to the router from azbox and one from router to computer. Sorry about all the question I just do not get it.

I'm doing this from memory, so I may not get the names of menus correct.

If your router is set to DHCP, then it will assign an IP address to your AZbox. To see the IP address that was assigned, go to Settings and on the left select System Information. You will see the IP address assigned to your AZBox.

If your router is connected to the internet (via your dsl/cable modem), you should be able to install the firmware by selecting an option under the Settings menu (forget the name, probably Firmware). You then should be able to select the desired firmware and let it install the update.

However, if you just want to send a file, i.e. using MAZ2x, then on the MAZ program, enter in the IP address that is listed on the AZbox. In MAZ, select FTP, hit the Connect button and now you should be able to transfer the file to/from the AZbox.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
This darn azbox is kicking my behind. So I am going to hook it up to my router and hook the router to my computer and see if I can get it to load a sat file. what setting do I need to put in the azbox to try and make this work ( i.e. wired,dhcp, satic). When I say I am going to hook it up, I will run a cat5e cable to the router from azbox and one from router to computer. Sorry about all the question I just do not get it.

?? Well a cat5 cable is "WIRED". With respect to DHCP or Static, that is your choice. If your router assigns IP#s, then you can use DHCP, however I always like to use Static myself, just because then I always know what IP# the devices are using. Of course if you DO use static, then you have to manually set the devices IP#, so if you aren't familiar with doing this, you're probably better off using DHCP.

Gremlin,

You might be better off in the very beginning to load the most current image (firmware) file to a USB flash drive. Stay away from the beta versions until they have been fully tested. Updating via a USB flash drive is simple and probably more safe.

Go to the SETTINGS menu of the AZBox and select SYSTEM INFORMATION. For firmware upgrade, select USB (and for channel download) select USB as well. This may not be necessary as the AZBox should automatically search and detect a USB drive attached when rebooting and if there is an image file on that USB drive, you will be prompted as to whether you desire to update or reboot without updating.

Turn the AZBox OFF and insert the USB flash drive, then power up the AZBox. This should take you directly into the menu for updating the firmware. When you do this, there will be another option to format/Update the Application Area as well - item #4 I believe on the list shown. Perform this step first, then when it reboots, update the firmware. It should reboot on its own each time, after the application area and the image file have been formatted and upgraded, turn the AZBox off and remove the USB or simply select Reboot Without Update, otherwise the AZBox will continue waking up to this update menu.

Once the firmware is updated, then you can load channel data in the same manner, but I would suggest that you have only the file you wish to load on the USB drive at the time and no other files at all.

I don't recommend loading a channel data file, I would set this all up manually if I were you. Using the remote and wading through the process.

Once you are familiar with this USB loading process, then start to train yourself on using the ethernet setup for the box.

Everything is going to require some time and patience, so be prepared to cuss once in a while. The end results will be positive.

RADAR.

Save yourself some trouble and edit your sats/tps using the remote.

Using Maz or Azbox edit gave me a couple of days of headaches due to USALS and DiSeqc settings shuffling after transfer. (I am on the 3686 version)

Using Maz or Azbox edit gave me a couple of days of headaches due to USALS and DiSeqc settings shuffling after transfer. (I am on the 3686 version)
There is a new unofficial version 0.9.3725, but I will play with it when time permits.

There is a new unofficial version 0.9.3725, but I will play with it when time permits.

Here are some things I've read that are(n't) updated i the new release:

- Channel changing is now faster
- keyboard and mouse-functionality was implemented
- adding Thai language

- Mkv dts drop again!!!!!
- digial out bug still there

I think I'll pass and wait for an official release.

I had some of the sats programed in already but whated to use satellites.xml to get all the sats and transponder on it. I have done a factory reset . And Now I would Have to start over. If I can load the sat file with the usb I can do just fine. That is how I updated the firmware.

It sounds like everyone has a tv close to there computer I can not look at the ip on the box and put it in the computer. Just one computer at the house and the wife is at it alot.

Every so often if I "tweak" a Sat position and forget to first "save" and then "go to position" It seems to foul up all the other Sat positions. Highly annoying but workable if you follow very specific steps. ( a bit like my previous girlfriend )

Every so often if I "tweak" a Sat position and forget to first "save" and then "go to position" It seems to foul up all the other Sat positions. Highly annoying but workable if you follow very specific steps. ( a bit like my previous girlfriend )

Yes I found that if you leave the motor edit screen in save, the motor will continue to move. Go back to 'go to position' and click once more.

My problem with was that 91w had a DiSeqc locate point of P3, 97w P4, 101w P5. After transfer from Maz 91w P2, 97w P3, 101w P4 and so on. Couldn't find a fix. Did not affect USALS.

I had some of the sats programed in already but whated to use satellites.xml to get all the sats and transponder on it. I have done a factory reset . And Now I would Have to start over. If I can load the sat file with the usb I can do just fine. That is how I updated the firmware.

It sounds like everyone has a tv close to there computer I can not look at the ip on the box and put it in the computer. Just one computer at the house and the wife is at it alot.

Hi Gremlin, if you want to try and use ftp simply go to the TV and make a note of the IP for the AZBOX then go to the computer and see if you can ping it. If you get a good ping then ftp will work provided it is enabled on the AZBOX.

For trouble shooting you could use the basic ftp program that comes with XP and other Windows. Just open a DOS box, I think it is START -> ACCESSORIES -> COMMAND PROMPT

After you get the DOS box open the command is:

ftp IP for AZBOX

Sample: ftp 192.168.1.2 (use the IP you found at the TV)

That should get you the prompt for the password, enter it and with a little luck you should be logged on.

Type DIR for a listing of the files on the AZBOX.

QUIT OR EXIT should log you off.

If all that works then the network is good and you should be able to use other ftp programs to transfer files.

Hope this helps, DC

Comfrey,

Just a note in reply to "tweaking" a sat position. Keep in mind that I have never read this in any manual or in any official literature or posted instructions.

This refers to a specific satellite position recorded using DiSEqC 1.2 positioning and the desired intention is to alter or adjust that position.

In the DiSEqC 1.2 Positioner Setup menu, under Command Mode, there are several choices:

1] Go To Position
2] Go To 0
3] Setting East Limit
4] Setting West Limit
5] Disabling Limits
6] SAVE
7] Resetting

When I have attempted to reposition or record a new DiSEqC 1.2 position, I have been moving the motor with the controls to peak the signal and then selecting option #7 (resetting) and then option #6, SAVE new position.

I am not certain that the option #7 functions as I perceive, I may be totally wrong here, so bare with me.

What I find or what I think that I find, is that if I do not use that option (#7) that I end up with several identical satellites in my list. One shows (let's say for instance Hispasat 1C/1D 30.0W). Another shows up as (Hispasat 1C/1D P1 30.0W). And then another may show (Hispasat 1C/1D P2 30.0W) etc.

I had initially thought that this option (#7) was for resetting the software limits for the motor travel, but now I am not so certain. I do not have but one or two sats that I use DiSEqC 1.2 positioning on, so I don't test this often and I never use any software limits, so I am unclear as to the true function of option #7.

Hopefully someone else can enlighten me as to the true function and purpose of the "Resetting" option.

RADAR

I used 'Resetting' to clear one DiSEqC 1.2 position and found that it through off or shuffled the other position settings. Of course at the time Maz had corrupted (something).

In any case I had the same perception as you about the 'Resetting' but found that it messed things up.

Comfrey,

Just a note in reply to "tweaking" a sat position. Keep in mind that I have never read this in any manual or in any official literature or posted instructions.

This refers to a specific satellite position recorded using DiSEqC 1.2 positioning and the desired intention is to alter or adjust that position.

In the DiSEqC 1.2 Positioner Setup menu, under Command Mode, there are several choices:

1] Go To Position
2] Go To 0
3] Setting East Limit
4] Setting West Limit
5] Disabling Limits
6] SAVE
7] Resetting

When I have attempted to reposition or record a new DiSEqC 1.2 position, I have been moving the motor with the controls to peak the signal and then selecting option #7 (resetting) and then option #6, SAVE new position.

I am not certain that the option #7 functions as I perceive, I may be totally wrong here, so bare with me.

What I find or what I think that I find, is that if I do not use that option (#7) that I end up with several identical satellites in my list. One shows (let's say for instance Hispasat 1C/1D 30.0W). Another shows up as (Hispasat 1C/1D P1 30.0W). And then another may show (Hispasat 1C/1D P2 30.0W) etc.

I had initially thought that this option (#7) was for resetting the software limits for the motor travel, but now I am not so certain. I do not have but one or two sats that I use DiSEqC 1.2 positioning on, so I don't test this often and I never use any software limits, so I am unclear as to the true function of option #7.

Hopefully someone else can enlighten me as to the true function and purpose of the "Resetting" option.

RADAR

AcWxRadar, thanks for your feedback.
I have to admit that I never tried the Resetting option. I 'assumed' that once I select the DiSEqc 1.2 position and saved it, it would override any other setting for that satellite position.

I'm confused about #7 as well because in my book once you save the new position you've already cleared the old one. The resetting could just be for deleting the position marker so you can override and chose another 'auto save' or give your own number to the position.

Putney's statement that Maz is corrupting the positions is also what I'm experiencing.

All in all though, I have to admit it's a pretty decent HD receiver for the < $300
price tag. Quirky but worth it! And eventually they may work out the other issues.

I think I might have found my problem not sure yet. I had input a ip into the box to see if I could find it using the "run" option and could not. So when I hooked it to my router it still did not see the box. It somthing about could not locate port 23. I finnaily got it to clear the ip I entered into the azbox. But I will to get a samll tv from a buddy and hook it up at the computer this mourning.

P.S. Thank guys for all your help I know it is tring to say the same thing over and over to the same person I am just slow sometimes.

Hmmmm....
Possible solutions -
1. Get another computer (closer to STB)
2. Go wireless network (steep learning curve if you dont get networking to begin with)
3. Get a usb NTSC tuner/composite interface for the comp so you can see the STB video out on the comp (when you are allowed on the computer)
4. Get a new wife (unfortunately it's usually "cheaper to keep her!")
5. Send it to me and I will bear this cross for you brother! (the STB, NOT the wife :eek:......lol. I already have one of those cheaper to keep her models......)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)