Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Normally I save the juicy stuff for our supporting pub members, however since its the holiday season I am going to spill my guts with everything I know.

If you post any of this information anywhere please credit SatelliteGuys.US - Thanks.

Last night Charlie gave a lot of HD information most of it we already posted WEEKS ago in our pub members forum (including DATES). I honestly believe that if we did not announce it there that it probably would not have been mentioned last night instead they would have saved it for CES.

This information comes from a handful of contacts, some of which I have pieced together and other stuff which has been told to me by more then one contact.

In addition last night after the chat I got a phone call from one of my trusted contacts, this person wanted to talk to me about what was said on the chat.

I was told that the decision to move VOOM from 21 to 15 Channels was mainly because of SatelliteGuys email campaign last week about the VOOM PQ Problems. Dish Network and VOOM decided it was better to offer Less Channels with higher quality then more channels with less quality.

I was told by this contact he believes all VOOM channels will return to 1920x1080i.

I asked him about MPEG4 and Charlie's comments that the new channels would be in MPEG4. I was told that this person believes Charlie misspoke, the HD Locals will be in MPEG4 but as he knew the VOOM and the other channels which are coming January 4th will be in MPEG2.

Then he also mentioned to me something which I found out a week ago and have been keeping a secret. (And I have been having a hell of a time getting it confirmed) While this person confirmed this better for me, I still want to label this as a RUMOR, I dint want people mad at me if this does not happen for any reason. I am just trying to be honest and spill what I know to you guys. So PLEASE consider this a rumor.

It appears there will be a swap-out of 942's to a new model of the 942 called the 942+ which will support MPEG4. It is my understanding that upgraded boxes have shipped or will soon be shipping to beta testers.

Because it is early in testing I expect it to be awhile before we see the National HD channels in mpeg 4, this matched with the fact that VOOM channels and ESPN2 HD are already being uplinked in MPEG2 is also a good indications that the national channels launched at CES will be in MPEG2.

The next few weeks uplink reports will give us more clues, and I am looking forward to what Goaliebob reports. :D

(After all what good is offering all these channels if no one can see them) :)

Of course if you want your HD locals you will need a MPEG4 box, Dish is taking the same route that DirecTV is.

The ViP211 and 411's still are not available yet and I expect it to be a week or two before we see them slowly start coming out.

If your an existing customer my advice is to WAIT only get a MPEG4 receiver if you really got to have HD locals.

There you have it, that is what I know. Please don't rake me over the coals about it.

I feel 2006 will be an exciting year for Dish Network, and All that I can says is it's about time.

Thank you to everyone who emailed Dish about the VOOM issues, it was because of you improvements are going to be made. As I said before if we use our voices as one we can make a difference.

Happy Holidays to all!

Thanks Scott for the info. I had a feeling that the MPEG4 DVR would still be called a 942 but with something extra (+) kind of like the 6000 that was released and the 6000u that had the add on module already installed. I am very proud of everyone that expressed their selves on not putting up with HD Lite and I think that is what changed the minds of Dish on putting up only 15 Voom channels at full res. instead of 21 at HD lite. I too beleive they will be MPEG2 but the Locals will be MPEG4. I think this is a very good choice for Dish. I get my HD locals over the air but I know alot of people can't and this is what they will go by on deciding on who gets their money each month. Again thanks everyone for sending emails and calling dish about the HD lite issue because without you all we would be watching HD lite for years to come.

there was no way I ever thought anytihng but the HD locals would be in mpeg4, it just doesn't make sense as stuff is already uplinked

also to all the Directv naysayers over on the AVS, telling us Dish subs it was no use to email them, you need to enjoy your crow and go watch some HD-Lite

because We did IN fact change Dish's policy on how they were going to offer voom

-Gary

I agree Gary. Everyone that was laughing about dish going to HD lite can kiss my ass. There all mad because they are probably locked in a contract with DTV and can't go to Dish. As someone said to us (dish subs) about Dish going to HD Lite, "Feel the burn".

The big question now is when will Dish fix the VOOM problems.

Hopefully we see soon.

I think this is all GREAT news, however I am not going to celebrate until I see it with my own eyes. :D

The main reason that I think the voom channels will be full rez is because of them changing the total number of channels that they are going to release in January. They went from 21 to 15 because they knew that Dish subs would not and will not stand for it. I think they paniced when we sent all them emails and phone calls.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Thank you to everyone who emailed Dish about the VOOM issues, it was because of you improvements are going to be made. As I said before if we use our voices as one we can make a difference.
You're Welcome! I can assure you that I am not Dish Network's favorite customer. I'll give credit to E*, they replied to each one of my e-mails and have returned all four of my calls to Corporate HQ.:)

Directv doesn't even carry NFL ST in HD either ;), it's all 1280x1280i garbage

every Sunday I have 2 or 3 true HD NFL games on Echostar from Epsn and CBS HD, I find this very ironic

-Gary

A quick note on the 942+. You know how some people, newer ones from what I could tell, said that they were told their 942's could be upgraded to mpeg4? While we all wrote it off as a bad CSR at the time, think about it now. Could they have had this new model on the board this whole time? Perhaps it's already out there and people actually can upgrade their box eventually? Lot of possibilities here now that this information is out...

riffjim4069 said:
You're Welcome! I can assure you that I am not Dish Network's favorite customer. I'll give credit to E*, they replied to each one of my e-mails and have returned all four of my calls to Corporate HQ.:)

Yep, dish was also very good at getting back to me and the techs on the phone after the first couple days were well aware of the issues and were very cordial and even did a followup phone call.

Man, right now things look promising. It's so good to know that the customers still have a voice. If this all comes to fruition, it makes me very happy to know they listened and may possibly even cause a bit of loyalty in me to dish.

juan said:
What about the New York/LA hd locals that have been testing in mpeg 2?

I would give these an 80% chance of staying up as mpeg2 CONUS channels, and stay at 61.5/129 respectively.

I bet the 3 "local" markets (atl, chi, bos) will be mpeg4 on spot beams. Notice they all have decent LOS of 61.5. Looks like if you're on the east coast you'll have a better chance at hd locals sooner! :)

After looking at the spotbeam map of R-1:
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/297

And then checking what TPs are available, TP 21 and 23 are not lit up currently, and are listed as spotbeam capable for Chicago, Boston, and Atlanta. Not sure how reconfigurable the satellite is regarding transponder assignments.

Chicago has TP21 available, Boston has TP21, Atlanta has TP23. Note the other TP from R-1 are currently being used in CONUS mode, providing Voom (8 TP), and NYC test HD locals (2 TP).

Last edited:
I think Purogamer is on to something about the 942 being able to be upgraded to do MPEG4. You never know he could be right. It would make sense because the 942 is a fairly new receiver and a expensive one at that. That is alot of money that dish will be throwing away if they can't be upgraded to MPEG4 but this is Dish we are talking about so anything is possible.