Ok I'm Getting Ready to Change My Service Address

Also, you are subjected to your chosen city's blackout rules. Don't plan on watching the Yankees on ESPN if you choose NYC.

i live in wausau wi ..can i change my service adress to chicago..will i be able to rec the hd networks..i use to get the minneapolis channels but they went to spot bean i guess.even thought it says there at 129 i lost them so i had to call dish and move it back to my home adress

Here's a question I have, that I don't think deserves its own thread yet.

When I first signed up for dish, I was told by one of the local installer company's that I could get Dallas or San Antonio locals in my town. I also asked another installer who lives here, and he said he gets Dallas locals no problem. I got my Dish 1000 installed "moved" to Dallas, and only got a blank screen on all the Dallas locals. Actually, one non-hd channel came in sometimes, when you left that channel on for awhile. So I "moved" to San Antonio, and all the locals are coming in just fine. I would really rather have Dallas channels, because they have NBC in hd, and also because SA's Fox feed is horrible. I noticed that both sets of locals are on the same satellite. What should I do to get Dallas to come in, if others in my town get it to work just fine. Is it maybe a local geography problem with my house location? Or should I just "move" back to dallas, hop on my roof, and play with the dish pointing?

My "moving" experience

Just got off the phone...wasn't nearly as smooth as others have reported. Got a rep in India, and was initially told that to move my physical address, since I have leased equipment, they would have to dispatch a tech to install a new dish with the Dish Mover program. I thought quickly and stated that the new address already had a dish, so no new equipment needed.

The rep reluctantly updated it...but did state it was a one-time "courtesy" move. Also asked me if I would be permanant at the new adress, and I stated I was undecided, that I still owned both places.

Sill no locals for that area though...may have to call again. WEbsite shows address updated, yet when I go to "add Programming" it still lists only my old address locals, and not the new address.

Well, after 12/1, they took away our Significantly viewed NBC station, and we are 90 miles from the nearest NBC tower. So, I thought I would get smart and move to Miami (we live in North FL) so I could get all the networks in HD. Well, I thought I was receiving the Miami spotbeam, so I called up dish and "moved". I then determined that I wasn't receiving the Miami spotbeam since all my network channels were black. So, I called them up the next day and moved to Jacksonville so I could at least have all 4 networks again.

ok here's a stupid question but no one here has HD locals so I wouldn't know... do the HD locals broadcast all of the programming of the channel or only those shows that are in broadcast in HD? i.e. is the HD channel even on when the program is not in HD?

(I’m attempting to determine if "moving" to someplace like Chicago even if you are on the west coast still lets you see everything on the big 4 networks via the HD channels since the spot beam locals won't cover)

ok here's a stupid question but no one here has HD locals so I wouldn't know... do the HD locals broadcast all of the programming of the channel or only those shows that are in broadcast in HD? i.e. is the HD channel even on when the program is not in HD?

(I’m attempting to determine if "moving" to someplace like Chicago even if you are on the west coast still lets you see everything on the big 4 networks via the HD channels since the spot beam locals won't cover)

HD local stations broadcast all the channel's local programming regardless whether SD or HD content.

A non-issue since PBS-HD isn't offered on E* or D*, but the only exception I have found is with OTA PBS-HD (at least in my market) which only broadcasts national PBS-HD content when available on 35.1. (SD is 35.2, Create! is 35.3, and they only broadcast two of the three at any given time. Create! 35.3 is shut down when they broadcast 35.1 in HD.)

should a person wait a length of time after using dishmover to call up and again change the service address? Seems like if anything is going to throw a red flag that might be it. But Id like to really move, then "move" again to get HD locals.

A little help?

So I'm fed up with the poor quality locals here in Twin Falls, ID, and I'd love to get the Big 4 in HD.

From what I can tell by looking at http://ekb.dbstalk.com/hdlocal.htm, Salt Lake City doesn't have ABC, and Seattle doesn't have Fox, so Spokane is looking like the way to go, as is has all four.

I'm assuming I use the same satellite here in Southern Idaho that Spokane does (550 miles away), but is there any way to be sure? Which one should I be looking at as far as signal strength?

And as far as the move, all I need is a legitimate address in Spokane, yes? Man, I'd love for this to work out.

Thanks in advance!

OK, I feel like an idiot. What is that map supposed to mean?

Twin Falls, where we live, is not in the dark blue, but is in the light blue, and there's two circles around our location, which looks to be mainly Utah and the other one is Idaho and some of Montana.

OK, I feel like an idiot. What is that map supposed to mean?

Twin Falls, where we live, is not in the dark blue, but is in the light blue, and there's two circles around our location, which looks to be mainly Utah and the other one is Idaho and some of Montana.
The dark blue is the Boise DMA. The light blue is the coverage area predicted for the spotbeam. If you're within any of the circles, you should be able to get the locals for the associated DMA. I'm not sure what the other DMA is, maybe it's Butte, MT.

Hmm, OK, that sort of makes sense.

Second question: According to http://ekb.dbstalk.com/hdlocal.htm, Boise isn't listed as having HD locals. Is that list correct? If so, I wouldn't be any better off "moving" to Boise than I am now.

Salt Lake City IS listed as having HD Locals (but no ABC), and their red circle goes around my area, even though there's no light or dark blue. Would I have any luck with that?

Are you using a 1000? (is that the only real way for HD? I'm not sure). If so, tons of HD locals are on the 129 sat, so you can get them anywhere in the US where you can get 129 signal (which includes Idaho I'm fairly certain). No having to worry about spotbeams and all that crap. Just "move" to any major city you want that's on the 129.

Made the "move" to Denver late last night and everything looks great so far. Can't wait to watch some primetime TV tonight to check it out more.

I'm getting Denver too...I have no complaints for the most part (though ABC does go tits up on quality once in a while, but not enough to really complain about).

After reading this thread I was all ready to switch my service address to get the Pittsburgh channels in HD, but I need a Dish 1000+ instead of a Dish 1000. Suggestions as to the simplest way to get this done?

Note: I'm originally from Pittsburgh and do not watch the Cleveland channels I get now. I know that the Pittsburgh local spotbeams make it this far because I received them in Ohio with the sat receiver I sometimes used in my RV.

I am amazed that there are channels that my receiver can receive, but that I can not watch, even if I want to pay somebody for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)