OK it has been over a month where is Paramount (and Universal)

I thought this was the WAR ZONE? This is sopose to be all in good fun some just don't have a sense of humor.

Does EGM have a scoop for March: EGMSCAN1.jpg (image)

Perhaps it is just a mistake, but a few more like that in the press and no one will buy HD-DVD. (note where it says Universal is no longer HD-DVD exclusive second column first paragraph).

Whether or not the Universal remark is a true scoop remains TBD, but I agree about public perception of the format war being over in favor of BD thanks to the info the press is putting out. For example, the day after the Monday's Netflix and Best Buy announcements, the main local paper in San Diego put the full AP story on the front page of their business section. Now anyone sitting on the sidelines will read that, coupled with the highly publicized Warner announcement, and naturally conclude the format war is over.

I thought this was the WAR ZONE? This is sopose to be all in good fun some just don't have a sense of humor.

My advice would be to discuss anything that reasonably can be called a comparison of the two formats---tehnically or in terms of industry or consumer acceptance--and ignore people that tell you it does not belong.

I am not by the way advocating license. I am advocating having enough of a thick skin to withstand a little criticism especially when the motives behind it are transparent. You are not after all the only ones who can see that.

But if the criticism does bother you a forum is not the best place for you---especially not one called a war zone. Don't take that personally we all take it too seriosuly sometimes.

The primary problem with FUD is that people come to this website for INFORMATION, FUD by definition is manipulation. If it wasn'tfor that, I would not care. It would be like the Pit,where anything can go. But I agree with Geronimo.

And for the record, while I am obviously a HD DVD supporter, I have rarely if ever said anything negative about the BD format. I have no doubt that it is the equal of HD DVD in terms of HDM. Oh, I laugh and call you all smurfs, and occasionally blu-boys; but that is just in fun. :D

The primary problem with FUD is that people come to this website for INFORMATION, FUD by definition is manipulation. If it wasn'tfor that, I would not care. It would be like the Pit,where anything can go. But I agree with Geronimo.

And for the record, while I am obviously a HD DVD supporter, I have rarely if ever said anything negative about the BD format. I have no doubt that it is the equal of HD DVD in terms of HDM. Oh, I laugh and call you all smurfs, and occasionally blu-boys; but that is just in fun. :D

:shocked
ZOMG REPORTED!

Perhaps it would help if you told us how this particular thread is FUD. Perhaps that would make others see what you consider FUD---or make you cahnge your views---ora little of both. After all I don't think that the problem is that people want to spread FUD (OK maybe some do) but is more that we seem to have such diverging opinions of what that is and how some threads veer off into that direction.

I agree except, I have nothing against the format, it is the supporters of BD that have made me decide no BD...

I looked at post 2. He is reporting it as rumor and naming his source. Why is this FUD but threads claiming that Warners was going to drop BD Support and we all had a problem if we could not see that (as an example) are not?

Can rumors be reported if they are identified as such? Should we analyze articles for potential meaning and argue for what we think? Is the analysis OK but not the reporting of rumor?

At this point i will exit thsi thread. I do see how the fanatics of BD turn some off as someone said above . But I see just as much in the last several months from the red disciples and in fact a few of them (not all) really seem to be reaching and that is never called FUD.

but I do think that if we had a commonly accepted definition of what is Ok (and/or what si not) we might be able to adhere to it but that does not seem to exist.

I looked at post 2. He is reporting it as rumor and naming his source. Why is this FUD but threads claiming that Warners was going to drop BD Support and we all had a problem if we could not see that (as an example) are not?

Can rumors be reported if they are identified as such? Should we analyze articles for potential meaning and argue for what we think? Is the analysis OK but not the reporting of rumor?

At this point i will exit thsi thread. I do see how the fanatics of BD turn some off as someone said above . But I see just as much in the last several months from the red disciples and in fact a few of them (not all) really seem to be reaching and that is never called FUD.

but I do think that if we had a commonly accepted definition of what is Ok (and/or what si not) we might be able to adhere to it but that does not seem to exist.

As a good friend of mine likes to say, you're trying to apply logic where it doesn't belong... :)

Given the recent reports of Toshiba exiting the HD-DVD market, perhaps we will hear of studio action by the end of February...

Hmm just saw WSJ predicting early this week Free Preview - WSJ.com

Perhaps Monday or Tuesday we will see some studio movement.

Last edited:
Given the recent reports of Toshiba exiting the HD-DVD market, perhaps we will hear of studio action by the end of February...

Hmm just saw WSJ predicting early this week Free Preview - WSJ.com

Perhaps Monday or Tuesday we will see some studio movement.

If earlier rumors are true, then Universal and Paramount may already have told Toshiba's their intentions. And this may be why Toshiba may be throwing in the towel.

We'll see.

One has to wonder when Universal started to work on BD. Did they have a project on the back burner last year just in case? Did they start a frantic effort when Warner made its announcement? Surely they have started the work on getting BD out by now, it would have been irresponsible to not have something ready just in case.

we have no info on Universal or paramount internal plans . We can't just guess and assume it must be right. We just don't know.

There have been reports of Universal reps visiting BD replication facilities- but I don't think we can read too much into that. "Know thine enemy" and all that.

Other comments state Universal is 2 years behind the other studios. Hmmm. How long has Blu-ray officially been out? I can't see massive problems in shifting from authoring in HDi (or iHD, whatever it is this week) to BD-J. Different world, sure. Most likely it's a matter of outsourcing the project to a company that's in the business of providing that service.

If HD-DVD really folds this week and Universal is caught without any way to make BDs, I would think heads would roll. Yes I can see the issues of ramping up production, but still one would think that 6 weeks after the Warner announcement Universal would have started a crash program to do BD ASAP.

Yes BD-J and iHD are different, but one would think a competent programmer could convert iHD to BD-J fairly quickly. At least starting with their biggest sellers and working their way through catalogs eventually.

I wonder what the lead time is now for the replication plants. 2 months? More?

I suspect we won't see much out of Universal before May.

But Paramount- I wonder how much they kept in warehouses. And did they continue some BD production without actually releasing them? Or, more likely, kept authoring some titles in Blu, ready for production? I'd think something like that would be hard to keep quiet- but surely they saw the handwriting on the wall the day Warner announced, if not sooner. Might have been the day they placed some replication orders or at least reserved some production slots for themselves.

I guess we are now just waiting for announcements from Universal, Paramount and Dreamworks, before we close this Forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts