OK Sean what does this mean?

J3ff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
I'm trying to use the HDMI/DVI cable output on the back to my HDMI hook up and it says "DVI/HDMI Port is blocked" on top of that box it says copy protection........ WTF is goin on :(

HDCP = High Definition Copy Protection. It is a flag that your HDTV must have in order for the signal to go through the DVI/HDMI port. If your HDTV is not HDCP compliant, you must use the component input of your HDTV. Get your manual or look up the specs of your HDTV online to see whether it is compatible or not.

Sean Mota said:
HDCP = High Definition Copy Protection. It is a flag that your HDTV must have in order for the signal to go through the DVI/HDMI port. If your HDTV is not HDCP compliant, you must use the component input of your HDTV. Get your manual or look up the specs of your HDTV online to see whether it is compatible or not.

Oh boy here we go!!

Im using a 24 inch wide screen monitor from dell..........with just a dvi connection........

How do i get around this, wtf is this lame crap!!

seriously.......what is this FLAG and why in the world would i have to have it? :(

ok so.......i did some research about it, and basically if I cant get it working on this screen then I have no use for HDTV at all :(

Is there something i can put between the screen and the box that will over ride this rediculous bs?

Sean Mota said:
No it is serious... This is Hollywood nonsense. There is no way to get around it. What is the model of the Dell monitor.
2005FPW

It seems like you are out of luck with DVI. How long since you bought this monitor? Can you return it?

Source

High Definition Video – We played the WMV9 1080p and 720p versions of “Under Sea Adventure” to give our monitor a little taste of high definition video. In many of our previous analyses, we simply ran WMV9 content unscaled to test color depth and clarity. However, since both the Apple Cinema and Dell 2005FPW are capable of widescreen unscaled aspect ratios (at least for 720p), we thought it best to put both of these monitors completely through their paces. No surprise, but there doesn’t seem to be any corruption or shifts in any of the colors. However, keep in mind that neither of these displays supports HDCP! We could not watch 1080i or 720p signals on either display from a regular Comcast HD receiver, since neither display has a DVI-HDCP input. While pin compatible, any HDCP source simply terminates after a few seconds of video. The Dell 2005FPW has a few additional inputs, so we can actually use a component-to-VGA (15-pin D-sub) cable and watch HD content in this manner. Of course, for the same reason why we don’t encourage anyone to use 15-pin D-sub cables for regular computer use, we really don’t recommend D-sub for TV either if it can be avoided. Unfortunately, in this scenario, it cannot.

i suppose i need an HD card in my computer.................zzzzzzzzzzz

Man that just sucks!!!!!!!!! I was so excited because dell sorta advertised it as an HDTV ready monitor......no wonder they seemed to have stopped that :(

"use a component-to-VGA (15-pin D-sub) cable and watch HD content in this manner."

if i did this, would i still get a REAL HDTV resolution?

looks like ill be getting the regular 8300 dvr tomorrow instead of the HD, you're right sean wayyyyyyyyy to much to go through

J3ff said:
"use a component-to-VGA (15-pin D-sub) cable and watch HD content in this manner."

if i did this, would i still get a REAL HDTV resolution?

Yes... Remember that PC monitor has capabilities of high resolution and the component input is not required to have HDCP.

well, at any given time i can go into alt.b.hdtv and download whatever shows are there.......I guess hollywood can block out people like me who just wana watch HD but not people like that :(---------way to go!!!

Oh well still happy w/ the iO though :)

Sean Mota said:
Yes... Remember that PC monitor has capabilities of high resolution and the component input is not required to have HDCP.

yeah but doesnt a vga cable not show as good or sharp of a picture as a DVI cable would?

J3ff said:
yeah but doesnt a vga cable not show as good or sharp of a picture as a DVI cable would?

Not much... DLPs benefit the most because the signal travels digitally without any convertion from the box to the screen. In most LCDs there is an analog/digital convertion but it does not imply that the final result is less than true HD. It has been shown that this convertion in the LCDs is good because it makes the signal look better or as good as DVI/HDMI.

So you won't be missing much.

well- i just realized they charge 10 dollars a month for the reg dvr and 10 a month for the HD DVR (according to csr)

so i guess there isnt much too loose...

now where would you suggest i get one of these componet cables?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts