Ok, so Im buying back into gaming after many years, which console??

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Im more a first person/3rd person shooter type. Favs were always Medal of Honor, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon and Call of Duty.

I dont really play sports, but do like driving games like Gran Turismo etc...

I know both systems are great, but I need to choose one that fits my needs and Im unsure which one. Don't need blu-ray player or media center, so PS3 is not a shoe in for that.

TIA

Do you know if the Ps3 can download Vudu HDX files, or is it stream only? A lot of times HDX can be downloaded if the device has a HDD.

I'm an Xbox guy but judging by your post sounds like a PS3 might be it, due to Uncharted and Gran Turismo. Of course the 360 does have alternatives like the Forza series and titles like Medal of Honor, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon and Call of Duty are all multiplatform. PS3 also has inFamous which is great, and both consoles have Prototype which is my hidden gem of the last year or two.

I'd look at reviews for some of those games over at gametrailers.com, but I think that will reinforce the choice to go with the PS3 more than anything.

In the end with the console wars, the best advice is to get whichever console your friends have, in the event you may want to play online.

Thanks!

It's pretty much gonna be a me by myself on off days thing :)

I could live without GT, even though I love it from the PS2 days (my last console I really gamed on), just was unsure if the Xbox had any good drivers.

Do you know if the Ps3 can download Vudu HDX files, or is it stream only? A lot of times HDX can be downloaded if the device has a HDD.

PS3 and HDX - VUDU Forums

PS3 can do HDX.

360 doesn't need as much of a hard drive, but I'd get one that has one, rather than the 4gb (internal flash) arcade model. This will let you have more flexibility with demos and stuff that can be 1-2gb. The PS3 needs the larger hard drive in part to make up for some of the shortcomings of the Blu-Ray drive's uniform read speed that is sometimes too slow so it actually installs parts of games. This is often mandatory and can take 2-15 minutes and will do it automatically when you start the game.

Depending on what you want from your driving games, there are plenty of good ones out there. From Burnout to GRID to Forza.

http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?...g&type=games&mode=top&sort=views&sortdir=asc#

PS3 and HDX - VUDU Forums

PS3 can do HDX.

360 doesn't need as much of a hard drive, but I'd get one that has one, rather than the 4gb (internal flash) arcade model. This will let you have more flexibility with demos and stuff that can be 1-2gb. The PS3 needs the larger hard drive in part to make up for some of the shortcomings of the Blu-Ray drive's uniform read speed that is sometimes too slow so it actually installs parts of games. This is often mandatory and can take 2-15 minutes and will do it automatically when you start the game.

Depending on what you want from your driving games, there are plenty of good ones out there. From Burnout to GRID to Forza.

Thanks, I found that HDX thread. What I was wondering, is can it download (not stream) HDX. Some devices, like LG BR players with a HDD, can actually download files instead of streaming. My HSI connection is not fast enought to stream HDX, so downloads are kinda a must.

Reason I ask is, I just bought the LG690 which has a HDD and allows me to download HDX as a file and watch later. If the PS3 could do this, it would make it a shoe in, because I could just repalce the 690 with it. My space in the ent center is tight, and I already have 2 DVR's, a Rcvr and the 690 :(

Try the controllers and see which one feels more comfortable. I like the Xbox for that reason and Xbox Live is way better than the PSN even though you have to pay for it.

If you haven't totally ruled out a console yet, as a PS3 person, I would go in that direction, especially with the implementation of the Move controller for some of the new shooters coming out (Killzone 3, Resistance 3, etc.) not to mention fuller implementation of 3D gaming, if you have the right TV for it (active 3D).

Well, I opted for the PS3 Slim 160gb and a BR remote control. Now I gotta figure out where to fit it and what my first game is :)

Should be interesting on a 64" display :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)