Ok so now what

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blasto65

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Rocky mount, VA
I have been waiting for HD locals in my area from D* for a while now. I had thought of going with OTA for my HD locals but now with the switch being tossed on only digital signal I cant even get all the channels now after looking at Antenneaweb. I wish D* would just get there act together and start broadcasting them.

I have been waiting for HD locals in my area from D* for a while now. I had thought of going with OTA for my HD locals but now with the switch being tossed on only digital signal I cant even get all the channels now after looking at Antenneaweb. I wish D* would just get there act together and start broadcasting them.

What DMA are you talking about so we know where your talking about. ?

E* carrys more SD and HD markets then D*. Thats been proven right here on satellite guys.
D* carrys 151 SD citys and 125 HD citys.
E* Carrys 184 SD citys and they had 121 HD markets back in March, But have since launched quite a few. How many? More then 4 I can assure you.

Last edited:
When you say OTA you talking about an antenna right. But that is the problem with the digital switch From my location I can get maybe one of the major networks. That is why I have D* in the first place.

E* carrys more SD and HD markets then D*. Thats been proven right here on satellite guys.
D* carrys 151 SD citys and 125 HD citys.
E* Carrys 184 SD citys and they had 121 HD markets back in March, But have since launched quite a few. How many? More then 4 I can assure you.
Direct does average more channels in SD and HD per city carried.

Prove it.:) Directv has 1 less channel in my Local market. D* was also 1 year behind in Providing my DMA with locals as well.
They do carry PBS stations in HD and Dish does not.

Remember I said average. One area does not an average make. Heck, in my area Direct carries 10 local HD channels and Dish carries 6. In SD, Direct carries 26 stations and Dish carries 24

Plus, can you really say that that Direct has one less. Many of those Dish locals you listed in your area are just another version of the same network (you have 2 Fox's and 2 CBSs). Doesn't Direct carry the same number of local HD networks in your area?

They do carry PBS stations and Dish does not.

Remember I said average. One area does not an average make. Heck, in my area Direct carries 10 local HD channels and Dish carries 6.

Plus, can you really say that that Direct has one less. Many of those Dish locals you listed in your area are just another version of the same network. Doesn't Direct carry more local networks in your area?
You live in LA DMA. D* ought to have more Locals in that DMA then Dish, NY DMA too. They were D* first and only locals for over 5 years How many Independed channels does one need?
Maybe if D* spent less time putting up 10 Independent channels in a Local market ,maybe they could have the Big 6 in the 30 + markets they are behind E* in.

You live in LA DMA. D* ought to have more Locals in that DMA then Dish, NY DMA too. They were D* first and only locals for over 5 years How many Independed channels does one need.
That wasn't my point. I was only demonstrating that you cannot simply look at one market to determine an average.

I read somewhere on here by someone (I believe it was Harsh) that Dish does have more markets covered, but Direct averages more channels in each market.

Sorry but PBS is worse then Lifetime channel.
If my kids want to watch Sesame Street they don't care if its SD.
I don't care for it either. Although the nature shows are cool and they are in HD. They should change the name from PBS to PDATT (Pledge Drive All The Time).:D

Seriously, this does give them one to a few more HD locals in many markets. I think the same is true for MNT as well?

Well I did some research in my home state of PA, and Came up with this.

Scranton Wilkes Barre DMA
  1. D* has 6 SD locals (with SD equipment) 7 SD locals( with HD equipment ) 4 HD locals.
  2. E* Has 8 SD locals 4 HD locals,(Plus 5 optional SuperStations)
Philly PA DMA
  1. D* has 19 SD and 7 HD locals
  2. E* has 14 SD and 4 HD locals,( plus 5 Optional Superstations)
Johnstown Altoona
  1. D* 7 SD and 5 HD locals
  2. E* 7 SD and 4 HD locals,(plus 5 optional Superstations)
Erie PA
  1. D* has ZERO
  2. E* 6 SD and 4 HD locals, (plus 5 optional Superstations)
Pittsburgh
  1. D* 9 SD and 4 HD locals
  2. E* 9 SD and 4 HD locals, (Plus 5 optional Superstations)
From what I see in PA D* caters to the Big citys only and most everything else is tied or D* doesn't even offer channels.

Just picking the second largest DMA in CA (SF Bay area):

Direct SD: 21
Direct HD: 7

Dish SD: 19
Dish HD: 5

I am sure the same will be the case for Sacramento and San Diego as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)