GEOSATpro Ok, this has finally pissed me off!

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
My MicroHD receiver is set so it does NOT go into Standby, and it never gets turned off so the clock stays the same. I keep it mostly on 101w and parked on MEtv 1 the main feed, as that's the channel I do most of my recordings on.

Yet time after time when I flip over to the receiver, it's switched itself to MEtv 2 feed, and is sitting on that color bar screen!

I used to think it was a glitch that only sometimes happened after a recording finished and it went back to the broadcast side, but it just did it at 3pm for no reason, and no recording.

I got up for the day, came into the living room at 2:30pm and flipped my HDMI switch to the MicroHD. I clicked the LIST OK button, highlighted COZI and selected it to see what was playing. Lucy show, so I flipped back to MEtv 1. I then went back to watching my Dish dvr. So, 3:05 rolls around and I flipped back to the MicroHD. It was now sitting on MEtv 2!

Why does this happen? Very odd behavior. I'm running the firmware from a week or so ago, but it did this with the 8/20 firmware also...

I know, it's stupid, but it bothers me that it does this. I've ignored it up to now, but I finally want an explanation.

P.S. I have NEVER done a recording on MEtv 2 feed either, and don't even normally check it to see what's on it, though I have done that once in a while. I did not do that today at all.

Last edited:
Is it possible that your dish remote might've interfered with the microhd? I've had some pretty strange cross-ups occur with different receivers and remotes, not necessarily aimed at the correct receivers either. One I remember was a tv remote that would cause the Audio menu to pop up on one of my fta receivers, forget which , lol. A minor blip in the AC might cause it too, hope you figure it out.

Is it possible that your dish remote might've interfered with the microhd? I've had some pretty strange cross-ups occur with different receivers and remotes, not necessarily aimed at the correct receivers either. One I remember was a tv remote that would cause the Audio menu to pop up on one of my fta receivers, forget which , lol. A minor blip in the AC might cause it too, hope you figure it out.

No, I don't believe it could be that. If it was, why would it always only switch to MEtv 2? You'd think it would sometimes go to yet a different channel. It's something freaky in the software causing this.

Never have heard of channel changes without user input outside of occasional user confusion regarding the event timer returning the microHD to the last tuned channel after executing an event.

Using the logic of the channel changing to METV2 randomly even without a timer, have you observed the channel change itself while you are watching? If it is changing channels without user input, one would reason that this would happen during your normal viewing.

or

Has the channel changed when you switch the TV back to the input connected to the microHD?

If it has changed while you were on another selected TV input source, it certainly could be a minimally used key on another remote like turbosat suggests. Another RCU's IR command causes the microHD to change channels or a regularly used key that triggers the microHD to cycle the return (last channel) or to a different Satellite list or favorites list?

Specifically what firmware version is loaded?

Last edited:
Do you have the latest update? Does it catch the right timed recording? Twice, mine has jumped from TBN to Daystar by itself, and one of those times I heard the change happen (had it on in the Tunnel). Checked and TBN was unstable - lost signal several more times before it locked again. No timers set, had already lost them, so do not know if I would have lost any. That was weeks ago, though. Too cold, until this afternoon, to work in the Tunnel! (Thanks, Sweetheart, (MOM) for helping me with the wall!)

I haven't completely rescanned all sats since the firmware upgrade last week, though sats from 61 through 103 both KU and C band are scanned in. I do not at present have any Favorites list set up because of that upgrade wiping out everything. The channel change seems to only happen on the hour, or 1/2 hour when it happens (when a different show comes on). I don't believe it is caused by another remote, or a accidental keypress of the MicroHD remote. It's never switched while watching it live (at least I don't remember it doing so). I have had it on MEtv 1, watched a recording to the end, deleted the recording, and when it comes back out to regular tv, it's now on MEtv 2 all by itself. Nobody else in the house uses this receiver but me.

It beats me, and it's a little thing, but it's annoying.

It's some odd quirk of the software, and maybe this transponder. But, I spend 90% + of my watching/recording on MEtv 1, so that might be why I see it between them. If it was parked on another transponder such as say PBJ, maybe it would switch to RTV or Tuff by itself

It does flip to the right channel and record when needed, even if it has previously parked itself on MEtv 2 instead of 1.

Last edited:
My MicroHD receiver is set so it does NOT go into Standby, and it never gets turned off so the clock stays the same. I keep it mostly on 101w and parked on MEtv 1 the main feed, as that's the channel I do most of my recordings on.

It would seem that something is stuck in the memory of your receiver if it does this.
Have you gone to MEtv 1 then shutdown the receiver and unplug it then power it back on again?
Since you stated you do not turn it off this may be part of the problem with what your encountering.

I recently encounter something similar on a 922 4DTV receiver when sending a new file to it it always would go to one particular channel even though it should not have done so.
Finally found that by going to the channel I wanted it on then unplugging it solved that problem.

I have never seen what you mention occur with the Micro HD but then I do not leave it on all the time.

Of course if I went with a hassle like you spoke of this long I would most likely add a sat there with only ME-TV-1 on it and no other channels, then record my shows and see what happens then.

I think it's his pudgy fingers on the remote... I have found the remote to be extremely sensitive to my tactile input and once in a while it will go to another channel because I touched the button a millisecond too long... No offense meant!

When surfing and returning to METV1, is the last tuned channel usually METV2? Grasping at straws, but trying to determine if METV2 could be the last channel tuned...

If I don't leave it turned on all the time, it doesn't keep proper time. It loses a minimum of 1-2 minutes per day. Brian himself said some time ago it's best to leave it on permanently.

It has been power cord rebooted while on MEtv 1 before. The only difference in this last time that it triggered to switch to MEtv 2, was I previously had jumped from MEtv 1 to Cozi to see what was on, then jumped back to MEtv 1 leaving it parked. I then swapped over to my Dish Network receiver that's on a different HDMI switch port (by the way, this is a new switch since 2 days ago. Problem occurred with other switch also) 15 minutes go by, and just passed the 3pm hour, I switch back to the MicroHD to again switch to Cozi and see what's on, but it's sitting by itself on MEtv 2 color bar screen before I even touch the remote... NO recording had fired in that time period, and the MicroHD remote wasn't touched.

When surfing and returning to METV1, is the last tuned channel usually METV2? Grasping at straws, but trying to determine if METV2 could be the last channel tuned...

Nope, I almost never watch MEtv 2. I certainly didn't this last time when I switched from MEtv 1 to Cozi, then back to MEtv 1. Then the top of the hour hit 15 minutes later, I noticed it was after 3pm, and I switched to the Micro to check out Cozi again, and it was already all by itself on MEtv 2 before I did a thing.

It's crazy, I know...

It's like it doesn't know the difference between ME 1 and 2, and thinks 2 is the primary channel in the mix, and prefers to select that after some event.

So you direct channel change and not use the CH UP/DOWN or don't surf past METV2?

Channels are PIDs. There aren't primary primary and secondary channels in a mux. Not how DVB tables and tuning works.

Low tech test...

Cover the microHD IR window with electrical tape. Let us know results.

First thing, can't you just delete Met2 from the receiver channel listing which should stop it from going to that channel. Second question is the MicroHD your only receiver as I'm wondering if another one might also be working with it.

First thing, can't you just delete Met2 from the receiver channel listing which should stop it from going to that channel. Second question is the MicroHD your only receiver as I'm wondering if another one might also be working with it.

It's my only FTA receiver at present.

Yes, I could just delete MEtv 2, but why should I? I do once in a very great while watch it. Deleting it doesn't change the fact that it's switching channels by itself, for whatever reason.

So you direct channel change and not use the CH UP/DOWN or don't surf past METV2?

Channels are PIDs. There aren't primary primary and secondary channels in a mux. Not how DVB tables and tuning works.

Low tech test...

Cover the microHD IR window with electrical tape. Let us know results.

Yes, I normally direct channel change by bringing up the list, highlighting the channel, and pressing Select instead of going up or down. I just finished watching The Lone Ranger on Cozi, flipped back to MEtv 1, and placed electrical tape on the IR window. We will see what happens. However tonights a night where it's going to be recording MEtv 1 non-stop from 8pm to 1am, and it's 7:06pm now.

I never found it annoying but my Micro does the same thing. Only difference is it seems to like a scrambled french canadian channel on 107.3w. Most any evening when I come home from work that's the channel it will be on.

Curiouser and curiouser! I'd delete the Me2 channel just to see if it changes to anything else in the channel list. Sometimes these receivers do have their own minds. This Icon I used a lot would bug me no end with the motor control so I never was able to use it with a H-H motor. But in its case I knew the problem-software that never was improved.

The whole thing has been deleted, factory reset, and rescanned after firmware upgrades. It's even using a new userdb file with this last upgrade. It still does it.

I'm going to play with it a little, BUT, I'm only going to make a single change at a time. If you do more than that while diagnosing, you'd never know what fixed it, presuming that is that it ever stops doing this.

It's not all that serious of an issue I admit, but it is annoying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)