Ok to pole mount next to wall? - PHOTOS

FogNoggin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Kingston, NY
I'd like to pole-mount my Dish Network dish in the ground, about 5 feet up, next to a tall wall. According to DishPointer.com I'd have a clear view of all 3 satellites for the Multi-LNB setup. Any problems with this, aside from exposing the dish to lawn mowers, kids and such? The cables would run right into the basement as the others do

DishNetworkMulti-LNBPoleMounted1.jpg

DishNetworkMulti-LNBPoleMounted2.jpg

Because in my case the wide oval dish must be aimed perpendicular to the wall. I'd have to find a mount that would hold it out far enough. I'm searching. What size pipe do the latest multi-LNB dishes require? 2"?

Because in my case the wide oval dish must be aimed perpendicular to the wall. I'd have to find a mount that would hold it out far enough. I'm searching. What size pipe do the latest multi-LNB dishes require? 2"?

1.66 " or 1 5/8 is the mast diameter, this is a standard size for E*'s dishes. There are several online retailers that you can order a bigger mast from to extend it off the wall further. If it were my house I'd be trying to mount it to the block wall as shown in your picture. #1 it would be sturdier than a pole & #2 you can get it up high enough on the block to get it out of the way and not worry about kids, lawnmower, etc ,etc......

Don't know what kind of dish you need but a 1k4 mast is a pretty good size and may just do the trick.

* I just now seen you need the 1k4

Last edited:

you know ... the mount comes with the dish ... if it need to be perpendicular
you might not get that 77... it will probably be off to the left a little...

get someone to help you & hold it up & point it & see... usually you can get almost get perpendicular

Hi, two of my FTA dishes are mounted on free standing masts and they can work quite well. Two more of my FTA dishes are mounted on masts that have a brace mounted to the wall and these work even better. See the picture for the brace details.

The only concerns with the free standing mast is it might move around a little with the hard freezes you get up in N.Y.

Is that bush next to the tripod likely to grow? If so you might want to move more to the left in the picture.

1 5/8 galvanised fence post would work and is easy to find at the big box stores. Or you might be able to find SCH 40 galvanised pipe if you need something a lot stiffer.

Hope this helps, DC

Attachments

• pipemountIMGP9777.JPG
    pipemountIMGP9777.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 249
Chances are it isn't going to be easy digging that close to the footing.

Is that the downspout pipe under the tripod? That could mean an abandoned dry well with lots of drain rock.

Thanks for the advice and forethought. It would be foolish not to wall-mount in this situation. I found this handsome piece of hardware on *Bay for $20. It's longer than the regular mast, is 1.66" and has braces. It should accommodate whatever dish comes my way.

mount.jpg

I'd like to pole-mount my Dish Network dish in the ground, about 5 feet up, next to a tall wall. According to DishPointer.com I'd have a clear view of all 3 satellites for the Multi-LNB setup. Any problems with this, aside from exposing the dish to lawn mowers, kids and such? The cables would run right into the basement as the others do

If you are a new customer, why don't you have the installer decide since it would be a free installation? Years ago when I had Primestar, the installer put a 4 to 4 1/2 foot pole in the ground next to the house. It's still there and solid as rock -- in fact I don't know if I can ever get it out...

It's a done deal. The dish is down low in a rather unseen part of my yard. Thanks for all the advice. I feel a little nostalgic getting a "TurboHD" dish but it handles the Eastern Arc just fine.

dishinstall.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts