okay guys, is it really really worth it

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
okay everyone guys and gals,
My wife and I have had cable and been OK with it, it has had the hd channels go out at random, and the ON demand go out, and just not very dependable service. So is Dish good, what is your thought and be honest, are they dependable, are they quality, anything you can think of to help me make this decision thank you

I've been w/ E* since 1998 and I'm considering jumping back to Comcast cable because of E* lack of HD support (i.e., channels, locals, reasonable cost DVR). I currently own a Dish 811, which is an adequate HD & OTA DTV receiver. But, after 19 months, I'm still waiting on software fixes to correct known problems and they probably never will reset the DVI signal input to eliminate the color washout they created with a fix to another problem a year ago.

The SD channels are dependable, if widely varing in PQ. The HD channels are great PQ, but some are prone to frequent breakups due to E* trying to squeeze their output onto too low a signal rate (e.g., TNT-HD and Discover HD).

Six of one, half a dozen of another. I don't think there is a best choice at this point in time. Five years ago, DBS was definitely ahead of cable (digital versus analog), but today, the game has changed and the best option isn't yet apparent.

stuart628, I have to ask - and I don't mean to sound harsh! You have 157 posts, and you are a pub supporter so you have a pretty good idea about this forum. What can be said that has not already been in the hundreds of posts already? If some of us post how good Dish is, there will be those that post how bad they are. All the problems/possible problems/good things with the receivers are well documented. The programming is there for everyone to see and compare. However if there is a specific thing you don't see answered, that is keeping you from getting Dish definately ask! :) If your looking for a nudge, here it is - NUDGE! Get Dish - I like it alot!

well the thing is I have been looking through the forums, I just like to ask, since there have been some major changes, and I believe the game changes alot, so some older posts might/might not apply to right now, and also I live by real life experiences, and this is my real life experience, the first two weeks of cable were amazing, but after that its like someone threw a switch and my channels break up and just plain suck now! thank you both for your feedback, I am kinda worried now,is the 811 that bad of a reciever, I understand it has some software updates, does one issue get fixed, but break another part? and I know anything is better then analog, (lets face it digital cable is a joke,as all the channels you want to watch are in analog) but are your channels that bad?

okay I just ordered, and I have a 811 coming and a 625, which I am guessing I will have to run another line upstairs to use to dvr properly, kinda of excited i have the HD pack for free for 6 months, and i have voom channels coming as I need a second dish as some of my locals are on the 61.5 sat!

I got the 942 and the pq is signifantly better on SD and great on HD. It is worth the $250 for the 942.

Stuart628:

My God! You are a new Dish sub and you didn't get a 942 HD-DVR when you ordered your install????? Quick man, splash some cold water on your face, take a shot of whiskey, and grab that telephone! Call Dish back and tell them you royally goofed up your order request because your wife was bitching at you and get the 942 -- the best $250 you'll ever spend, girlfriend!

I've had Dish since November 1999 and love it. I upgraded to HD content recently, so as an existing customer I could not get the $250 deal on the 942. I wound up with an 811 installed side by side with my old 501 SD-DVR.

The 942 will give you better PQ than even the 811 (and the 811 is pretty good in my opinion) and you'll have HD DVR capabilities. Since you're 942 will be leased, you'll be able to upgrade it (probably at a modest cost) next year when Dish moves to MPEG4 compression.

My work here is done.

David Dietzel said:
Stuart628:

My God! You are a new Dish sub and you didn't get a 942 HD-DVR when you ordered your install????? Quick man, splash some cold water on your face, take a shot of whiskey, and grab that telephone! Call Dish back and tell them you royally goofed up your order request because your wife was bitching at you and get the 942 -- the best $250 you'll ever spend, girlfriend!

I've had Dish since November 1999 and love it. I upgraded to HD content recently, so as an existing customer I could not get the $250 deal on the 942. I wound up with an 811 installed side by side with my old 501 SD-DVR.

I had Charter cable and I can absolutely state without hesitation that Dish SD and HD picture quality is superior. The 811 has a far better channel guide, changes channels far faster and hasn't locked up on me yet (unlike my SA8000HD from Charter). Hook it up with component cables as the DVI output is actually not as sharp due to software issues.

A fellow at worked screwed up his first Dish order with the 811 and called back the next day to change it to the 942 at my urging.

The 942 will give you better PQ than even the 811 (and the 811 is pretty good in my opinion) and you'll have HD DVR capabilities. Since you're 942 will be leased, you'll be able to upgrade it (probably at a modest cost) next year when Dish moves to MPEG4 compression.

My work here is done.
well I woke up this morning thinking I it was going to be a good day, some slaps on the back saying good job stuart (james in real life) instead I get b*tched slapped, thats a good wake me up on a sunday morning :D!actually I will tell you I thought long and hard about the whole hd dvr, and I think I am going to invest in it when I see that DIsh network is serious about locals, as all I record in hd is stuff like lost and things of that nature, and since I am stupid when It comes to OTA, and also a little too far away I THINK, I will have to just get my locals in digital quality, david, thank you for your reply, I hope some new subscribers do read it and decide to go with it, I wouldnt mind having it but again its not for me right now.

Get The 942!!!

I've had my 942 just over a week and wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe mpeg4 capable 942). Anyhow, I don't like to live with regrets and I would have had I not got it. From all the posts I read about the 942, what it can do, and that people were happy and excited with it I broke down and got one. I dare compare it to any other reciever on the market (except Directv's $1000 version of an HD/Dvr). It was definately worth the $250 hands down. Do the right thing man!!! Call Dish back and change your order before it's too late. It will be sooo worth it I promise! My wife was skeptical when I talked her into shelling out the extra $250 but after she got to use it for a day or two, well let's just say she loves it. I hate to rant and rave so much but I have been a satellite installer now for over four years and I tell you this machine is awesome. There's a lot of extra features you just don't get with the other Dvrs. So again I say, do the right thing my man. Pick up that phone and let' em know what you need!!! You won't regret it!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

let me ask you guys how does the 942 compare to the 625, if I am not interested in recording high def programs, and dont want to mess with OTA (I know nothing about it, and dont want to pay someone 200 to hook it up) dont you guys think the 625 would be worth it for me as all I am doing is recording digital satellite feeds anyways?

stuart628 said:
let me ask you guys how does the 942 compare to the 625, if I am not interested in recording high def programs, and dont want to mess with OTA (I know nothing about it, and dont want to pay someone 200 to hook it up) dont you guys think the 625 would be worth it for me as all I am doing is recording digital satellite feeds anyways?

How many TVs are you hooking up? If you have three, I would have gotten a 942 for two TVs and then an 811 for the third TV. You do know that you can record your locals in HD off the 942 via a OTA antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)