Okay to have scaler ring black?

thedishking

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Hello!
I am in the process of refurbing a Winegard Pinnacle.

Trying to make it blend in better, and after restoring a number of the parts, I decided to paint it black.

What are your thoughts on painting the scaler ring black?

I know it will attract more heat to the LNB, but with all of the frequency changes going on, I’ll probably need to replace that again down the road.

I am planning to use a Titanium 3.8 to 4.2 GHz red lnbf on a TI resistant scaler ring that looks similar to the old ADL / Cal Amp feed.

Thanks for your help!

Hello!
I am in the process of refurbing a Winegard Pinnacle.

Trying to make it blend in better, and after restoring a number of the parts, I decided to paint it black.

What are your thoughts on painting the scaler ring black?

I know it will attract more heat to the LNB, but with all of the frequency changes going on, I’ll probably need to replace that again down the road.

I am planning to use a Titanium 3.8 to 4.2 GHz red lnbf on a TI resistant scaler ring that looks similar to the old ADL / Cal Amp feed.

Thanks for your help!
I would use a flat black paint rather than gloss type if you must have the scalar ring black.
Remember that the f/d ratio on a Pinnacle Perf is very close to 0.28, so confirm that you have the feed and scalar in that depth before fine tuning the focal point. Chaparral Gold Rings were used as an add on item in a compromise to get the feed optimized, and you may have issues getting it there with the Red LNBF alone.
Good luck!

Reactions: primestar31
I would use a flat black paint rather than gloss type if you must have the scalar ring black.
Remember that the f/d ratio on a Pinnacle Perf is very close to 0.28, so confirm that you have the feed and scalar in that depth before fine tuning the focal point. Chaparral Gold Rings were used as an add on item in a compromise to get the feed optimized, and you may have issues getting it there with the Red LNBF alone.
Good luck!
Thanks Mike!!!
Good to hear from you!!

There is a guy on eBay that has some golden rings. I was able to pick one up,; I am going to try it one of Brian’s LNBFs for fun.

I appreciate your help!

Travis

Here is the scaler ring I am using.

I’ve found it to be helpful on my Oribitron 8’.

I found the apparatus to be “loose” to the point of having to use 3M Super 88 to “build up the surface” of an LNBF to mount and have any sort of precision.

Hopefully this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_2087.jpeg
    IMG_2087.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2088.jpeg
    IMG_2088.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 83