old analog vcrs

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
old analog vcrs and analog tv cards that can be used as pvrs won't continue to function after the switch to digital will they? Is the digital to analogue converter box the only way to fix that problem? If so, can that thing only be on one channel at a time. I sort of liked being able to use my old all-in-wonder card as a pvr that could record ota tv on different channels whenever I set it up to start recording stuff. If I hooked one of the digital to analoge converter boxes to my computer that would only work for one channel at a time, wouldn't it?

I think the biggest thing people are going to complain about in the switchover is that vcr's won't work for recording tv anymore... unless you upgrade to a digital vcr (yet another purchase to be made)... or they will work, but you'll have to get a converter box for the vcr as well as the tv, and then manually have to change channels in the converter box in order to record since the older vcrs won't know how to change channels digitally.... and/or you won't be able to record one channel and watch another like you can do with older stuff unless you have two converters...

God I'm glad we went with FTA so that this headache with the changeover is halfway not bothering me as much as it would if we solely relied on ota...

Converter boxes sound like a good idea at first, but after you consider everything, it's probably way more hassle than it's worth... but on the other hand, for some folks, that's the only option.

Oh, they will work after the digital switchover, but they will only be able to record snowstorms. Yes, you'll need a digital converter to use it for recording OTA broadcasts, but you might as well relegate your VCR to a play-only relic that will eventually go the way of the 8-track tape deck. When the time comes, I'll go to a OTA HD DVR, but I refuse to pay TiVO for the monthly service.

Just plug one into the composite output from your cable box, digital tuner or satellite receiver, they'll do fine.

There will still be plenty of analog TV being generated out there, it just won't be coming OTA.

But no Hard Drive. For some reason, DVD recorders with Hard Drives have disappeared from the US market. Don't know if this is a TiVO patent infringement conspiracy, or if it is market driven in that so many Satellite and cable STB's have HDD built-in and low cost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts