Old DirectTV dish and receivers - junk or not?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RedfishRunner

Original poster
Aug 21, 2009
SC
I found a dish and 3 receivers in my parents attic from several years ago when they switched back to cable. DirectTV never came to pick up their equipment after the contract ended.

The 3 receivers are Philips DSX 5500 and appear to have all the accessories (remotes, cables, etc.) The dish appears to be in very good condition.

Simple question .... is it worth anything to anyone or should I take it all to the landfill?

Thanks in advance!

Those receivers can only get the 101 satellite (SD channels). However, there may be people who would like those receivers for use at a summer cabin.

Trash them!

I bought a U-haul truck worth of stuff once from a dealer going out of business a few years ago. Half the truck was Dish and the other half was Directv. I went through every single Directv receiver and trashed all of them, as there is absolutly no resale value even at $5 per receiver on ebay. The only thing that might have some value is the Dish and LNB.

I didn't think they activated used receivers anymore?

They do activate used recv'rs IF you have an existing account with them, they will NOT allow a used unit for the original install.
That said, those are old and you would not want to use them as the main unit anyways.

I found an old dish at a garage sale and I bought a tripod for the dish. I reactivated an old receiver. Normally, the old receiver stays in the wife's sewing room, but we also take it with us camping and use the "portable" dish for that!

So I think there is a limited market for such stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)