Old Dish Network brochure

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Was doing some cleaning in the "satellite room" and found an ol brochure for Dish Network. It was dated on the back 4Q99...

I took some pictures of it...not there were only 2 packages, AT40 & AT100 :)

Attachments

• IM000242.JPG
    IM000242.JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 3,279
  • IM000243.JPG
    IM000243.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 1,874
  • IM000244.JPG
    IM000244.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 1,276
  • IM000245.JPG
    IM000245.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 2,707
  • IM000246.JPG
    IM000246.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 1,605
  • IM000247.JPG
    IM000247.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 845
  • IM000248.JPG
    IM000248.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 797
  • IM000250.JPG
    IM000250.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 1,887
Heh, yeah and the 20 channels they added are mostly shopping and Pub Interest.

That's amazing they only had 2 shopping channels back then

I didnt take a picture of the back but they had a huge thing on the DishPlayer :)

Top of the line receiver...the mighty 5000 :D

You know, they really need to come up with a new package of about 30-40 channels and get rid of the shopping stuff. Then we can have a new entry level of 19.99/21.99 again. I think they could do this, if they wanted to.

I found my old cell phone brochure from 1997 a few weeks ago. The basic package was like $15 with no minutes. Paid a per minute charge. I was on the basic plus plan with 30 anytime minutes for $22. All you got was the 30 minutes. No such thing as night and weekend or mobile to mobile. I had forgot just how expensive cell plans were way back then.

Gosh. I remember when I was a youngin, satellite used to cost a nickel. But, back then, the dishes were 27 feet wide, weighed hundreds of pounds, and you used to have to carry them on your shoulders, while walking uphill. You kids got it lucky nowadays.

GaryPen said:
Gosh. I remember when I was a youngin, satellite used to cost a nickel. But, back then, the dishes were 27 feet wide, weighed hundreds of pounds, and you used to have to carry them on your shoulders, while walking uphill. You kids got it lucky nowadays.

Thank you for reminding us!
And the whole family had to stand around the dish with mirrors in their hands, just to get enough TV-Beams into the dish, so the picture wouldn't wash out!

Back in my day we had to use strange pokey contraptions made of aluminum, we called em rabbit ears back in the day. With those we used to pick up, 3, maybe 4 channels from individual stations broadcasting over the AIR!. depending on the station we had to move and adjust the ears to get the best signal and sometimes you'd be fooled because of the signal bouncing off of your own body. It'd be great when you stood there and you would sit down and it would be fuzzy again. Sometimes we used tin foil to enhance the picture. Lightning bolts would scramble the picture!

High definition, ha! we were lucky to get any definition! and if the president was on, he was on aaaall the channels!

purwater said:
I found my old cell phone brochure from 1997 a few weeks ago. The basic package was like $15 with no minutes. Paid a per minute charge. I was on the basic plus plan with 30 anytime minutes for $22. All you got was the 30 minutes. No such thing as night and weekend or mobile to mobile. I had forgot just how expensive cell plans were way back then.

hee hee

When I started working at Radio Shack in 1993 the cell plans were (through US West Cellular...the predate Airtouch/Verizon)

29.95 for 30 minutes
39.95 for 60 minutes
69.95 for 120 minutes
129.95 for 250 minutes

no nights & weekends, no mobile to mobile, nothing
basic phone was 79.95 and it installed in the car
voicemail was 6.95 and you could have it beep a pager for 12.95

About a year later, they came out with 49.95 for 50 peak (6AM-8PM) and unlimited off peak. That was the mac daddy of pricing at the time :)

well at least the cell phone plans got better.

So why is it the opposite with satellite :(

I wish I could get the Supers in the package like TNGTony's list had (Supers were part of the package at that time)

It's funny you mention this, because I found some old brochures from 2000 the other day. It's very similar to the posted ones, but if you guys want, I can try to take photos and post them up here.

I guess plans were cheaper back then because they were just trying to get customers to switch to a new technology, much like VoIP these days. But once they get over that initial hesitation and it becomes "mainstream" then they can charge whatever they want!

netsfan said:
It's funny you mention this, because I found some old brochures from 2000 the other day. It's very similar to the posted ones, but if you guys want, I can try to take photos and post them up here.

we'd love to see those :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)