OLD EQUIPMENT INSTALL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MikeinBaja

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
San Diego area (CA)
(Subtitle - no good deed ever really goes unpunished does it)

Spent 5 very frustrating hours this afternoon trying to help out a good friend's dad. He just moved into their guest house due to health and age issues. Here is the set-up:

They have a "spare" very old (non-HD) DTV box (still initialized and verified that it worked) and wanted it moved to the guest house for dear old dad. Can't just run another feed due to distance.

Also had their old oval multi sat 3 LNB DTV dish left over from their Slimline upgrade that was in very good shape. LOS is absolutely clean. Box wants 101, 110 & 119 under 3 LNB multi sat set up.

Mounted the mast (dead plumb) preset the EL/Tilt covered both "outboard" LNB's with tin foil - zeroed in on 110 (center sat) removed the tin foil and adjusted the tilt to peak the outboard birds.

Went inside - message on the box meter - 100% signal - but locked on wrong bird? Used my Birdog so I KNOW I'm on the right bird! Huh??? Reset the box, no change. Unplugged the box for 2 minutes, no change.

Spent the remainder of daylight without getting this resolved (my first install failure).

What am I forgetting about installing old equipment?:confused:

Lock in on the 101 and WHY did you try to cover the other two sats ?
That doesn't do you any good .
Make sure the Rec is set up to look at the 101 when your pionting it .
IF you have the 101 locked in and they tilt adjusted everything else should fall into place, with minor adjustments possible.

Jimbo

Thanks guys, guess I've been doing Slimlines too long - got locked in to the "nail" the center bird then rotate to bring in the rest of the sats on the belt. Told them Monday to finish (need to watch my Bears win the NFC Central tomorrow - please Santa - that's what I REALLY want).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)