Old HD channels pq

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HD#1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Los Angeles
I called D* yesterday in regards to why ESPN,ESPN 2 and TNT were not as clear or sharp as my other HD channels, I told them is it because of the MPEG 2 and not being MPEG 4 the CSR said that should not make a difference, she said that she was going to forward this to her supervisor and then an engineer can see if its the Provider that is sending a bad signal. Just curious how I should take this as was the CSR just saying something so I will be satisfied or is there something that the provider can do so the pq will look good again, because from what I remember ESPNHD used to look very good and now its as clear or sharp.

If you already know why they are not as clear (and you seem to), why would you ask a CSR? Do you enjoy them being wrong?

If you'd like the picture to improve, call everyone you know with MPEG2 equipment and encourage them to upgrade. When DirecTV has the great majority of folks switched, they will put those on MPEG4 and the quality should improve considerably.

I guess the CSR does not know what she is talking about then( what else is new) she said that MPEG 2 and MPEG 4 should not make a difference its the provider that is why she was going to forward this to the supervisor and to the engineering dept. to get this resolved but like I said before I am not crossing my fingers or getting my hopes up.

I guess the CSR does not know what she is talking about then( what else is new) she said that MPEG 2 and MPEG 4 should not make a difference its the provider that is why she was going to forward this to the supervisor and to the engineering dept. to get this resolved but like I said before I am not crossing my fingers or getting my hopes up.

Well really, the encoding itself doesn't make a difference. It just takes more bits per second of MPEG-2 to match the quality of a given MPEG-4 stream.

The HD you get from an antenna is about the best there is in most cases, and it's MPEG-2. But there's lots of bandwidth there. The satellite providers don't have 18-21Mb/s to give to each of their leftover MPEG-2 channels, so they don't look as good.

Well really, the encoding itself doesn't make a difference. It just takes more bits per second of MPEG-2 to match the quality of a given MPEG-4 stream.

The HD you get from an antenna is about the best there is in most cases, and it's MPEG-2. But there's lots of bandwidth there. The satellite providers don't have 18-21Mb/s to give to each of their leftover MPEG-2 channels, so they don't look as good.
Wow, i agree with Jeff:eek:

Mpeg 2 can look just as good as mpeg 4 if the bandwidth is sufficient. In this case it is not, which is why you get a drop in PQ with the older channels.

So while the CSR was wrong, she was also right

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)