OLD Primestar dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scmoore61

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
ohio
I have a very old Primestar dish ( not round) approx. 40" wide and 30" tall, if I but a new LNB on it should it work to pull in G18.

It does but I doubt it is any good. I also don't know if it is lin. or circ.

It has 2 coax outputs but doesn't look like either of the pictures. It is l shaped with a plastic cover over the front slightly smaller than a dinner plate.

Attachments

• 100_3033.jpg
    100_3033.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 233
thats it. what would you recommend for a replacement?
My recommendation: DON'T REPLACE IT! if it works.
You should get a 2x4/3x4 multiswitch instead to recombine the Horizontal and Vertical coax outputs together for ease of use with FTA receivers.

That LNB may give slightly lower quality, but you won't have much fuss from it, unlike other cheaper LNBF's

My recommendation: DON'T REPLACE IT! if it works.
You should get a 2x4/3x4 multiswitch instead to recombine the Horizontal and Vertical coax outputs together for ease of use with FTA receivers.

That LNB may give slightly lower quality, but you won't have much fuss from it, unlike other cheaper LNBF's

Agreed. :up

I believe the H & V outputs are marked, and you can tell which is which if you pull off the cover. When you attempt to test it make sure you are connected to the correct polarity output for whatever transponder you are trying to lock.

From what I have read here the performance of that stock LNBF is more than satisfactory on that dish, you can probably pay for a multiswitch for about the same money a new LNBF would cost you.

would the 4 / 1 switch that came with the fta work to try it out? I'm guessing from what you are saying if I only hook up one cable to it I'm not going to get a signal.

since I'm looking at making this stationary for now and locking in on G 18 would this work with only one line connected if it was hooked to the correct one? If so would that be Hor. or Ver??

I prefer to get lined up East/West on Vertical then peak elevation and skew using Horizontal

A 4x1 could work but you'd need to mess with your receiver's transponder list putting Horizontals on one sat and verticals on another.
Kind of a mess as well as a headache depending on your receiver.
If you can drop 15 bucks for a 3x4, you should be set.

Otherwise have fun with a channel editor!
What receiver are you going to use?

I have the same LNB on a dish I just got. On my VS Ultra Lite I can edit/add/remove TP's on any selected satellite. Would I be able to just edit the TP's for G18 and make sure they have the correct polarity or would I have to add a 'user satellite' as my receiver calls it and specify only V TP's on the user sat and then go to the pre-programmed G18 satellite and tell it to only search for the H TP's and remove the V TP's? I would be using a 4x1 diseqc.

since there isnt much on H on G18 you would just hook up the line from the V side of the LNB to the reciever

since there isnt much on H on G18 you would just hook up the line from the V side of the LNB to the reciever

Well, I like the research channel and UWTV, which are both H. And I am just wondering in general just in case I ever want to use the dish on another bird that I would need both on. Just an FYI for me :)

I too like what's on 11805 H 4580

I don't have any direct experience with the CNX mini, but I have used the Geosatpro DVR-1100c which I'll call a sister receiver.
Nor have I any experience with the VS Ultra Lite

Don't ask me how to load the channel lists to your receiver. I have no clue

The idea is that we start with a satellite spot on our receiver

123W Galaxy 18 [LO: 10750 | DiSEqC 1.0: 1]

1. 11720 V 27960
  2. 11732 H 13320
  3. 11800 V 26657
  4. 11805 H 4580
  5. 11855 V 5000
And turn it into:

123W Galaxy 18 V [LO: 10750 | DiSEqC 1.0: 1]

1. 11720 V 27960
  2. 11800 V 26657
  3. 11855 V 5000
123W Galaxy 18 H [LO: 10750 | DiSEqC 1.0: 2]

1. 11732 H 13320
  2. 11805 H 4580

So yes, you need to add some transponders to a "custom" satellite orbit to make this work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts