Old Primestar dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Baby L

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2016
Idaho USA
Hi, I have an old Primestar dish. After some browsing, I have learned they are great for Fta I do have a couple questions. I am mainly wanting to use it for a couple transponders, on G17. Both are vertical. Do I still have to have a switch to combine the Horizontal, and vertical, or will it work with just the vertical side connected? Also, I have a small satellite finder, that seems to tell me I am on a satellite, but it has a variable DB knob, and I am not sure where to set it. I can set it to just past +2db, move the dish to where I think G17 should be, and the needle jumps up, and it sings, but turn the db knob down, and the needle goes down too. I don't really need to move the dish once I get it on G17, as I am happy with what I get on the big mesh Cband dish. It has a motor, and I get plenty with it, but I would really like to get the 2 vert. transponders, on G17 that are Ku. Last question for now, are there any cool tricks to aiming, or is it just best to have two people, one watching the signal meter on the rec. and one moving the dish? Sorry about being long winded. P.S. the dish is round, at least 3 feet or more, and 2 lng outputs. Thank you in advance! ;)

Welcome to the site. I'm Dan that dish would be fine for that satellite what receiver are you using? Look for transponder 12152 it has RT on it. We are here to help just ask.

I believe for that dish it's h and v I don't have one but I am sure that what it is.
Thank you for your responses. First, our receiver, is a POS generic DVB S2 rec. It actually works fairly good for our needs, being on a fixed income (Both of us are disabled) we could not afford a real one. I'm not sure what you mean by RT. And yes, this dish has 2 output one H, and one V I'm just not sure if they both have to be powered, before the V side will work. If I can get V side to work, without the H side connected, I would be okay with getting it aimed at G17. I just really would hate to waste time trying, if I have to have both sides powered for the V side to work. If it does have to have both sides powered, then I would need to figure out something, without spending a lot, due to the fixed income thing. ;)

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

If you are only wanting the vertical transponders, the existing LNBF will be fine. The LNB skew angle will need to be set to align with the G17 polarity based on your location.

To align the dish, bring the receiver and a small tv out to the dish so you can watch the Signal Quality meter reading. Trying to align with the meter displayed in a 2nd location with another person relaying readings just creates frustration and complicates the install.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

If you are only wanting the vertical transponders, the existing LNBF will be fine. The LNB skew angle will need to be set to align with the G17 polarity based on your location.

To align the dish, bring the receiver and a small tv out to the dish so you can watch the Signal Quality meter reading. Trying to align with the meter displayed in a 2nd location with another person relaying readings just creates frustration and complicates the install.
Nice! I now have hope! I do have a small yellow sat finder, but no info on how to actually use it. If I set the DB to just past +2, I can move the dish to at least near G17, and the needle jumps up, and it sings. In that position, on the rec. I get a signal strength that matches what I get on Cband, but 0 quality. Also, I'm not sure how to adjust the skew angle on this dish, I know it was used in this area at the local Radio shack, but not sure what they used it for, or if the angle would be the same to get G17. And before I forget, Thank you so much for the help, you guys ROCK! ;)

You may want to make sure that the lnb is for linear signals before putting to much into it. I once found an old channel master eliptical dish that had a circular lnb along with a linear one. The circular lnb on that one was as you describe as it had two outputs " one for v and another for h". If linear it should have something on it somewhere designating 11700 to 12200 freq. If it says 12.2 to 12.7 it is probably circlular and of no use to you for fta.

You may want to make sure that the lnb is for linear signals before putting to much into it. I once found an old channel master eliptical dish that had a circular lnb along with a linear one. The circular lnb on that one was as you describe as it had two outputs " one for v and another for h". If linear it should have something on it somewhere designating 11700 to 12200 freq. If it says 12.2 to 12.7 it is probably circlular and of no use to you for fta.
I could find nothing about freq. range on the lnb. It does have a model number, part number, and voltage range. Also, next to the H output, is a triangle, with the point toward the right, and next to the V is a triangle pointing up. Not sure if any of this helps. Also, If I am looking at it right, the skew angle of the lnb is set at very close to 30. On my Cband I have to have the skew set to 45. Should they be the same?

The meter you have detects if the LNBF is powered and outputting a signal and if it is aimed at something. Basically you turn up the sensitivity knob until the meter just starts to increase. Move the dish until a satellite signal moves the reading higher, then decrease the sensitivity knob once the reading is maximized. Fine-tune more and decrease the sensitivity once the reading is maxed out. Repeat as needed. No way of knowing what satellite or frequency. The receiver will provide a better meter for identifying and optimizing the reception.

Set the LNB skew and the approximate elevation angle. In the receiver, select the LO setting to 10750, select an active transponder. Watch the Signal Quality reading as you SLOWLY pan the dish +/-20 degrees on either side of the compass reading corresponding with the satellite. If no Signal Quality reading is found, increase or decrease the elevation in one degree increments and repeat the SLOW pan of the +/-20 East/West range.

The meter you have detects if the LNBF is powered and outputting a signal and if it is aimed at something. Basically you turn up the sensitivity knob until the meter just starts to increase. Move the dish until a satellite signal moves the reading higher, then decrease the sensitivity knob once the reading is maximized. Fine-tune more and decrease the sensitivity once the reading is maxed out. Repeat as needed. No way of knowing what satellite or frequency. The receiver will provide a better meter for identifying and optimizing the reception.

Set the LNB skew and the approximate elevation angle. In the receiver, select the LO setting to 10750, select an active transponder. Watch the Signal Quality reading as you SLOWLY pan the dish +/-20 degrees on either side of the compass reading corresponding with the satellite. If no Signal Quality reading is found, increase or decrease the elevation in one degree increments and repeat the SLOW pan of the +/-20 East/West range.
Right on. That is exactly what I have been doing with the meter, it just seemed the logical thing to do. I do have the LO set to 10750, but didn't think to look for a skew adj. in the rec. I will look for that. Apparently though, I must be on the right track. Thank you again! ;)

Rt means Russia today on 12152h also look up satbeams.com satellite footprints to help you aim for the satellite.

The skew setting is done at the dish by either rotating the feedhorn or the mount if it has a skew rotation. The skew angle is specific for the satellite based on your location. Use www.dishpointer.com to determine the skew and elevation angles. The "V" marking will be twisted (or the reflector mount) to this angle. The coax will be connected to V port.

For 87w use 12011 Vertical 13333

The skew setting is done at the dish by either rotating the feedhorn or the mount if it has a skew rotation. The skew angle is specific for the satellite based on your location. Use www.dishpointer.com to determine the skew and elevation angles. The "V" marking will be twisted (or the reflector mount) to this angle. The coax will be connected to V port.

Nice!!! Thank yo!!! That site is taking away a lot of guess work. As far as my direction, and elevation, I am close enough to tweak a bit here and there.But according to the markings, my skew is 12 degrees off for 91W ;)

Nice!!! Thank yo!!! That site is taking away a lot of guess work. As far as my direction, and elevation, I am close enough to tweak a bit here and there.But according to the markings, my skew is 12 degrees off for 91W ;)

Update! Titanium, and Dan. I would very much like to thank you for your help!!! It turns out, I was already pretty much going about aiming this puppy the way you suggested. Of course, at first, I was trying the two people thing, which I knew would at the very least be a major pain! The take a tv out to the dish thing, was not an option, Then it hit me, the old laptop, with the usb capture dongle, would be just as good. DOH!! took it, and the rec. out to the dish, set it all up, started moving the dish, three minutes later BAM There was the satellite I was looking for! THANK YOU THANK YOU AND THANK YOU for your help! You guys ROCK!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)