Older RCA systems - very slow channel change

Status
Please reply by conversation.

remarkability

Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
Started recently on both RCA DRD420RE receivers - dish has been up for about 9 years, solid reception. Not a HD system. When changing channels, I sporadically get long delays until the new channel comes up. Maybe 8 to over 30 seconds. Will display "searching for satellite signal" after five or so seconds. Usually the channel comes in eventually. Notice more when switching back and forth or going directly to channel vs. browsing up and down. Happens in any valid channel group. Might not happen at all for a while, then it might become chronic. Very odd, like a system virus. Clear sky, no storms, no clouds, no obstructions. Get a 94 signal on transponder. Once a channel is up, it's steady - no noise, no dropouts. The only symptom is sporadic delays on the signal coming up when changing channels. Directv rep not of much use other than to suggest a service call which I may have to do but I'm much more of a DIY guy.

I do not believe that any wires have come loose or that the dish has been misaligned, especially with a rock solid 94 on the tranny. Maybe 90 years of crud on the dish or LNB face? Any ideas most welcome at this point.

Started recently on both RCA DRD420RE receivers - dish has been up for about 9 years, solid reception. Not a HD system. When changing channels, I sporadically get long delays until the new channel comes up. Maybe 8 to over 30 seconds. Will display "searching for satellite signal" after five or so seconds. Usually the channel comes in eventually. Notice more when switching back and forth or going directly to channel vs. browsing up and down. Happens in any valid channel group. Might not happen at all for a while, then it might become chronic. Very odd, like a system virus. Clear sky, no storms, no clouds, no obstructions. Get a 94 signal on transponder. Once a channel is up, it's steady - no noise, no dropouts. The only symptom is sporadic delays on the signal coming up when changing channels. Directv rep not of much use other than to suggest a service call which I may have to do but I'm much more of a DIY guy.

I do not believe that any wires have come loose or that the dish has been misaligned, especially with a rock solid 94 on the tranny. Maybe 90 years of crud on the dish or LNB face? Any ideas most welcome at this point.
I have the same receiver. It has developed several quirks. Sometimes the channel menu is blank, or will not advance more than a few hours. Or the picture freezes with no sound for a few seconds, or it shuts off and does a search for signal. The box is 8 years old, and is a replacement for a box that had problems. I also have a low 90's reception. The problem is likely the receiver.

At 8-9 years of age I would check all fittings for corrosion be sure the copper is nice and clean on center conducter. Also when it happens try unplugging receiver for a ten second period. See if that will reset the receiver.

Considering that the older RCA systems are valueless (due to age, like cars), and you have been a customer for a period of time, DirecTV should help you get the newest for your setup for free or a small fee. Leasing is to help you so you don't need to worry about having 20 or so outdated boxes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)