OLN subscribers compensation?

ride525

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
Dish decided to drop OLN from its America's 180 subscribers without notice.

Anyone heard about a subscriber being compensated because a channel (like OLN) was dropped that the subscriber was still paying for.

I am still paying the full price of America's 180 level, but not getting OLN, which is one of the main reasons I'm at that level in the first place.

Also, anyone heard if this silly OLN squabble with DISH will end soon? I will eventually switch to someone else if DISH stops carrying OLN permanently.

I know you're upset about OLN, but if you read the Residential Customer Agreement you'll see that Dish Network has a right to change programming, pricing, etc. Dish Network has publicly stated that Comcast violated their programming agreement by withholding NHL Hockey and providing substitute programming which, according to Dish Network, was an unethical act. In a nutshell, OLN will return to Dish Network when Comcast approaches Charlie with a better, more realistic, pricing.

G. Changes in Services Offered. We reserve the right to add, delete, rearrange and/or change any and all programming, programming packages and other Services that we offer, and our prices and fees related to such programming, programming packages and Services at any time, including without limitation during any term agreement period to which you have agreed under the terms and conditions of any other agreement with DISH Network. If a change affects you, we will provide you notice of such change and its effective date. In the event that we delete, rearrange or change any programming, programming packages or other Services, you understand and agree that we have no obligation to replace or supplement any programming, programming packages or other Services previously offered that have been deleted, rearranged or otherwise changed. You further understand and agree that you will not be entitled to any refund because of a deletion, rearrangement or change in the contents of any programming, programming packages, or other Services previously offered.

riffjim4069 said:
You further understand and agree that you will not be entitled to any refund because of a deletion, rearrangement or change in the contents of any programming, programming packages, or other Services previously offered.
So what happens if I downgrade from AT180 to AT120 or AT60? Do they waive the $5 fee for downgrading programming? After all, it was their management decision to remove OLN, which is an important part of AT120 (at least to me), which would cause me to downgrade....it seems only fair that if they change the programming offered, the subscriber should then be able to change the programming subscribed without penalty.

Last edited:
grb said:
So what happens if I downgrade from AT180 to AT120 or AT60? Do they waive the $5 fee for downgrading programming? After all, it was their management decision to remove OLN, which is an important part of AT120 (at least to me), which would cause me to downgrade....it seems only fair that if they change the programming offered, the subscriber should then be able to change the programming subscribed without penalty.
The right thing would be for E* to waive the $5 programming change fee in this case.

The right thing, and what you'll have to talk to 4 CSR's and someone higher up to get, probably aren't the same thing...If they start transferring you or putting you on hold, just pay the 5 bucks and save 40 minutes of your time as well as the migraine afterwards...

Purogamer said:
The right thing, and what you'll have to talk to 4 CSR's and someone higher up to get, probably aren't the same thing...If they start transferring you or putting you on hold, just pay the 5 bucks and save 40 minutes of your time as well as the migraine afterwards...
Hmmmm...that would mean my time would be worth about $7.50/hour. I think that's below minimum wage in California...

We'll probably get one or two $3.99 PPV voucher for it. Does anyone know exactly how long it's been without OLN? I don't miss it either but then it did change my viewing patterns. Good thing I like the Capitals and they're on CSN mostly.

I don't think that you get compensation for dropping of OLN, just like you don't get nickeled and dimed everytime they add a new channel to AT180.

We all signed up to a residential agremeent that has certain fees and allows DISH to change programming. You can ask them to waive the downgrade fee. They might even do tit o keepa sub but theya re not required to do so.

They waived the fee for me when I downgraded. However, I had only upgraded that afternoon before the first hockey game was not shown. Not sure how they would handle someone who has had it for a longer period of time.
Ask. The worst thing they can do is say no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)