Olympic HD situation - swamp Congress & FCC with phone calls

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
Maybe we should swamp Congress and the FCC with phone calls.

This seems like a classic case for why the laws need to be changed with respect to digital signals and who's "allowed" to get them and why people are having less and less sympathy for the local affilliates.

First off, the NBC HD coverage is NOT a mirror of the regular NBC Olympic coverage. Other than being Olympics, it's a seperate and completely different broadcast. IT IS NOT what is being run by the regular NBC affilliates, plus it's running 24 hours delayed.

So why on earth is a local affilliate's permission needed for the national NBC Network to provide it's HD signal to whomever they want for this event ? Especially if that affilliate doesn't even broadcast a digital signal.

I'm not a lawyer but I can't see how this could possibly be anymore a breach of an NBC / affilliate contract than providing HD coverage of the Democratic convention was.

WaltinVt

Is NBC HD coverage be carried by local affiliates on their local HD NBC channels? According the NBC TV ad on local NBC, it says the Olympic will be broadcast in HD..... (where available). I am not sure if local affiliates are "required" to carry it on their HD channel.

In a few hours we shall see just what local NBC broadcasts analog, OTA DTV, and E* special HD hookup. Maybe then we can have a rational discussion.

I just read a post in another forum that copied an email from an executive at our local NBC affiliate KUSA (Denver). He advised that their OTA DTV broadcast would simulcast the regular NBC broadcast for the opening ceremonies. Thereafter, their OTA DTV channel would broadcast the NBC HD loop feed w/DD 5.1 sound (a local first). He noted that the station had to scamble to get some new equipment installed to support the DD 5.1 pass-through. Sounds good so far!

The question I would have--if Denver's digital NBC station is simulcasting the regular NBC feed tonight at 8, will it be in HD? My guess is it will not.

DishBacker said:
JohnH posted this: http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=271830&postcount=27

NBC had to file a waiver to the FCC to get the ability to show different content on their ATSC channel then what is on their NTSC channel. If I remember correctly, they had to do this on a DMA by DMA basis?
So this is an FCC issue. They could have just as easily left out the DMA part. They had to know that the minute they put it in there would be disparity - the whole DMA system has absolutly nothing to do with who can recieve digital OTA and who can't.

If they really wanted to be fair to viewers they could have said NBC could provide this HD event to anyone who can't get it OTA - period.

Until we get new SHVIA legislation, I'm not sure we even have any definitive laws on the books regarding digital. I think its basically a copywrite issue and NBC should be able to give the signal to anyone that wants it.

But what do I know.
WaltinVt

Carl B said:
I just read a post in another forum that copied an email from an executive at our local NBC affiliate KUSA (Denver). He advised that their OTA DTV broadcast would simulcast the regular NBC broadcast for the opening ceremonies. Thereafter, their OTA DTV channel would broadcast the NBC HD loop feed w/DD 5.1 sound (a local first). He noted that the station had to scamble to get some new equipment installed to support the DD 5.1 pass-through. Sounds good so far!

If this is the case, then why is Denver on the "Olympics Eligible Areas" list?

Wouldn't the suits at KUSA want you watching them instead of the E* feed?

Jaspear said:
If this is the case, then why is Denver on the "Olympics Eligible Areas" list?

Wouldn't the suits at KUSA want you watching them instead of the E* feed?

KUSA is owned and operated by NBC/GE.

on on the phone with echostar... and there telling me you have to live in the dma.... and distance locals do not count... no one can give me a straight answer on why distance networks do not count.. oh yea they wont also give me any e-mail adresses or phone numbers to the wavers department.. there being asses... again..

what a load of crap this is.. i called my nbc affilate and the reason why is cauz they dont have a carrage agreement to cary nbc hd olympics with my local cable company.. the reasoning behind that is cauz they dont have the equipment to do that.. (adelphia).... so there for cauz of a failure of my cable company who i dont subscribe to... i cant get it... what a load of horse poo...

MY local NBC O&O (KNTV) is showing the HD feed on it's digital sub-channel (11.1) tonight, according to Titan TV.

It will be interesting to compare PQ of the HD feeds between OTA and Dish. When I do the same with SD locals, there is a major difference in PQ, and it isn't in Dish's favor.

GaryPen said:
MY local NBC O&O (KNTV) is showing the HD feed on it's digital sub-channel (11.1) tonight, according to Titan TV.

It will be interesting to compare PQ of the HD feeds between OTA and Dish. When I do the same with SD locals, there is a major difference in PQ, and it isn't in Dish's favor.

I am also in the position where I can compare HD quality of the NBC OTA and NBC-HD over Dish. I will take a look too. Should be interesting.

The olympics in HD being available on satellite has nothing to do with the FCC.

NBC originally promised exclusive HD coverage to their affiliates and then NBC came up with the idea of offering the feed to satellite. The new agreement that was pushed on the affiliates that were originally promised exlusive coverage was if they were being carried on cable then satellite could retransmit the HD olympics to their DMA. So that's how it came to be.

Carl B said:
Thereafter, their OTA DTV channel would broadcast the NBC HD loop feed w/DD 5.1 sound (a local first). He noted that the station had to scamble to get some new equipment installed to support the DD 5.1 pass-through. Sounds good so far!

This comment from the NBC guy is EXACTLY whats wrong with the majority of affiliates. They had the SCRAMBLE to get equipment to support DD? Are you kidding me? This kind of gear should have been in place many years ago. This is why we will never be able to count on these guys to ever be ready to support high tech apps to the masses OTA, and thusly satellite should be the answer. If anything we can get what we want now and it forces affiliates to "get it gear". Although it is great that they were willing to run out and upgrade now, the question should be, why have they been droping the ball a waiting this long?. This is one of a TON of affiliates that opperate like this I bet. It is a sad self addmission on this particular affiliates part!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts