Olympics PQ

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

EmpireState

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
I'm watching the Olympics on various channels. My OTA NBC signal is super HD, my USA and 98 and 99 seem not so sharp. Universal HD seems good.

Heck, its NBC, always the worst HD of the networks, IMHO. But yes, I have thought the same; PQ is not stellar, and no better OTA.

It was even more noticeable on my HT screen.

If the OTA is multicasting, broadcasting more than one channel (i.e., 6.1, 6.2, 6.3), it poses compression issues (as well as atmospheric conditions), but will say... OTA is my preferable Olympic feed over SAT; PQ is crisper, sharper, with little to no lag (blur) or pix...

Definitely, the weirdest thing is that I still see some blocks on the screen even from OTA during fast action. Do the local OTA broadcasters compress also?
Many do. My local NBC multicasts FOX on the -2 channel, so I'd imagine they compress the NBC HD signal resulting in a lot of artifacts watching OTA (at least when there's fast action). At least I assume that's the reason.

I have been recording the Olympics on my 722 and then skipping comercials and sports that are of no big interest, which is not much. I record OTA NBC, some Universal, but I notice that MSNBC and Universal are usually the same. Really enjoying it though.

I don't currently get NBC in HD, but even for SD the PQ is subpar, but this is true for all my locals thru Dish. As for the other chans, the PQ seems great, except during fast-motion, during which the pixelation becomes pretty severe. I don't think we should expect perfection from live HD broadcasts from China, so overall I am happy with how it looks.

Ummm....

How is NBC sending the HD back to the US so it can be retransmitted by Dish? Are they using satellites with compression and all the up/down link weather issues just like us?

Talon Dancer

My OTA NBC is definitely superior to USA, UNIVHD. The only time I've noticed macroblocking on OTA is when the Olympics logo is passed across the screen. USA and UNIVHD just don't look as sharp.

Watching Water Polo OTA NBC....awsome!!!!
you are lucky to be able to make it out. It was a blurry marco blocking mess from the E* feed. My local NBC multicasts 3 channels OTA and it was sharper than E* but still a marco blocking mess. I couldn't see what was going on on the wide shots. My friend has SD cable and had the same problem, he wanted to come over and watch thinking I had a better picture, I had to tell him to stay home since it was no better for me.

you are lucky to be able to make it out. It was a blurry marco blocking mess from the E* feed. My local NBC multicasts 3 channels OTA and it was sharper than E* but still a marco blocking mess. I couldn't see what was going on on the wide shots. My friend has SD cable and had the same problem, he wanted to come over and watch thinking I had a better picture, I had to tell him to stay home since it was no better for me.

That wasn't Dish's fault. That was NBC just like you said. I've noticed stuff during the day is hit or miss. The primetime stuff tends to be spot on. During the non-primetime, stuff can be HD, macroblocked HD or even widescreen SD. For primetime, they go whole hog with all HD.

It all depends on your local station. Ours is running a more compressed HD channel and then other SD channels. Therefore Dish Network, 99 channels are equally as good. The main problem I see here is the pixeling during rapid movement on out local channel. For an event of this nature, they should be not compressing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)