Olympics Will be the Death of me and VOOM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
eg9 said:
F YOU BITC$ !!! You can take your "HD LIL, Grade B Contour, O&O and stick it up your poop-shooter... LIKE I SAID... NO ONE in MY AREA can get ANY FEED on 321,593,594,500943,463463, etc....

I really like VOOM and have heard of many people complain... If queer-boy Seawaves would read my posts he would also know what I mean when I say "I'm a big time supporter"...

The fact remains that in an area of 1.5 MILLION people, NO ONE CAN SEE THE OLYMPICS!!!! Unless you have Cable, DTV, DISH.... That's a FACT!!! I've called VOOM and they understand it and apologize... Cable was installed this morning and I'm OKAY NOW.

People around here don't get on forums to find out which wires to split so they can watch the Olympics... they order a service and expect to be watching the Olympics... THAT'S IT!!!! I spoke to the VOOM REP along with his supervisor and both told me that VOOM went to the negotiations table with different ideas of broadcasting the Olypics but they expected to get more out of NBC.... The reason cable, etc... can watch the Olypics is because they struck a different deal. VOOM IS NOW IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO CHANGE THINGS.... WE'LL SEE!!.......

Enough said.....

Moderator Edit

vinnyv07 said:
I might be wrong in my view of NBC , but Im not alone. They simply arent up to par with the other stations. Whatever the reason for them not getting into the bidding war for sports...nfl, baseball, football. Im glad that they dont have the broadcast rights to football this year....maybe they would do an hour delay on football games in HD. Or better yet show the Super Bowl the day after on their great HD ch. Its good business to make money...but its bad business to not have any rights to the big three sports. They could have the Olymipcs..they will lose money on that also. NASCAR brings in alot of viewership...but they way they go about their HD programming makes me wonder who exactly is going to take their sports programming seriously.

Vin-

You are right on- NBC has mucked this up, bad. ABC could have done the job.

eg9 said:
The fact remains that in an area of 1.5 MILLION people, NO ONE CAN SEE THE OLYMPICS!!!! Unless you have Cable, DTV, DISH.... That's a FACT!!! I've called VOOM and they understand it and apologize... Cable was installed this morning and I'm OKAY NOW.

People around here don't get on forums to find out which wires to split so they can watch the Olympics... they order a service and expect to be watching the Olympics... THAT'S IT!!!! I spoke to the VOOM REP along with his supervisor and both told me that VOOM went to the negotiations table with different ideas of broadcasting the Olypics but they expected to get more out of NBC.... The reason cable, etc... can watch the Olypics is because they struck a different deal. VOOM IS NOW IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO CHANGE THINGS.... WE'LL SEE!!.......

Enough said.....

AS I have posted and a couple other have the reason I can be in Madison WI and not get Voom's feed and get DTV's is because they negotiated a different deal then DTV (not sure about dish never been customer). That is the hard facts. I called 15 minutes ago and was told the same thing I have have been told by 2 different supervisors. Quite telling me about local this and that O&O, waivers, and other stuff. Thats is the reason...pure and simple. The did a crappy job of negotiating. Did VOom have an obligation give us this feed no, so I applaude them for trying but don't blame NBC for not getting OLY's when it is a Voom d-e-c-i-s-i-o-n to agree to the terms they negotiated. The ones that get the OLY via Voom enjoy them. I just wisah after being told by diff peeps on diff days I was going to get it and not I am not they would get their shi* together. Same thing happened with channel 311, NFL Voom.....first it was Aug. 1st now maybe early september. Communication is the key and it has been crap.

I'm not sure what there is to complain about - maybe I'm missing something.

Voom is providing the HD feed (where available)
they're providing the SD feed (where available)
they have USA, CNBC, MSNBC, and Bravo - all showing Olympic events - that's one more channel than my local cableco (who doesn't have Bravo).

eg9,

So you dump on Seawaves b/c he finds something he dislikes about voom and comes here to complain. Now YOU find something you dislike about voom and come here to complain. And now YOU get dumped on for being a whiner and complainer. Funny how what goes around comes around :)

I hope you see the irony of the situation.

deArgila said:
I'm not sure what there is to complain about - maybe I'm missing something.

Voom is providing the HD feed (where available)
they're providing the SD feed (where available)
they have USA, CNBC, MSNBC, and Bravo - all showing Olympic events - that's one more channel than my local cableco (who doesn't have Bravo).

1. See above

2. USA, CNBC, MSNBC, and Bravo - all showing Olympic events - most of this is crap events like water polo between argentina and guatamela....yeah!! :no
3. I have no local NBC TV and "normal" coverage.
4. voom provides some markets with the OLY

The main issue I have is the left hand does not know what the right is doing....again see above

PS love your avatar :yes

eg9 The reason cable said:
Cable will never have to deal with what the sat providers do. Usually cable companies provide service for a specific area where the NBC Ch is broadcasting. Sat providers have a ton of NBC ch's some O+O and some not. Its the NBC's that arent O+O that are the problem for VOOM and Directv and Dish NEt. Its a advantage that cable will always have over Sat providers because they already a deal in place for the NBC in their broadcasting area. The only problem cable would have is if their NBC doesnt transmit a dig sig yet. Then they are in the same position as Sat compaines.

Sean Mota said:
I have edited some comments. Please refrain from personal attacks. Let's keep it civil. Thanks :)

Thank you Sean. Man, it's hard to defend Voom from the clueless! I do think any one who make like/dislike anything with Voom has to be fair first.

That and i think anytime someone posts "F-U" they need a time out.

Madtown HD Junkie said:
1. See above

2. USA, CNBC, MSNBC, and Bravo - all showing Olympic events - most of this is crap events like water polo between argentina and guatamela....yeah!! :no
3. I have no local NBC TV and "normal" coverage.
4. voom provides some markets with the OLY

The main issue I have is the left hand does not know what the right is doing....again see above

PS love your avatar :yes

Madtown,

Certainly, if all you can see of the Olympics is the HD feed- that's not cool. Many of us here have kept some sort of backup, cable or another SAT company so that we don't miss stuff. The OTA is (IMO) what causes Voom the most grief. But it's not like Voom has three birds to start doing spot beam locals. The old rock and the hard place.

For all of you who claim to be expert on VOOM / NBC policies on this Olympics broadcast please educate me on how this can happen:

I get DishNetwork Olympics in HD (9425 and 148)
I get DirecTV Olympics in HD (Channel 84)
I get NBC local Olympics HDTV on OTA channel 12-1
I get NBC local Olympics on analog channel 12

On my VOOM I get a black screen on 594, 593, 321.

Not that I care but just wanted to understand how this is the FCC, my local station, or NBC's fault.

Don Landis said:
For all of you who claim to be expert on VOOM / NBC policies on this Olympics broadcast please educate me on how this can happen:

I get DishNetwork Olympics in HD (9425 and 148)
I get DirecTV Olympics in HD (Channel 84)
I get NBC local Olympics HDTV on OTA channel 12-1
I get NBC local Olympics on analog channel 12

On my VOOM I get a black screen on 594, 593, 321.

Not that I care but just wanted to understand how this is the FCC, my local station, or NBC's fault.

D* and E* may have worked out a nice deal with Voom since they have millions of subs to show both. If you have the Olympic feed in HD OTA, why are you even asking? That's pretty much what you want anyway.

Seawaves said:
Madtown,

Certainly, if all you can see of the Olympics is the HD feed- that's not cool. Many of us here have kept some sort of backup, cable or another SAT company so that we don't miss stuff. The OTA is (IMO) what causes Voom the most grief. But it's not like Voom has three birds to start doing spot beam locals. The old rock and the hard place.

Agreed. Mount Everst and a Bill collector :shocked

DVlos-

Last sentence answered your question to me about why I should even care but in case you didn't understand, I'll repeat it another way.
I don't care but was just curious why VOOM is the only service I get that can't air the Olympics here. For those who only have VOOM (in my area) it would be a big disappointment and it seems very inconsistent as well.
I take it from your explanation you know the reason VOOM doesn't have it and D* and E* does is because VOOM didn't pay for rights to it for here and D* and E* did.

"D* and E* may have worked out a nice deal with Voom since they have millions of subs to show both." ????? Does that mean you know that D* and E* paid VOOM not to air it? :D

I'm not sure, Don, my friend has cable and is only getting NBC HD as well, but I'm don't know if he's checked all his channels. Since E* and D* retransmit locals through the Sat. it may also be a factor. Voom is a DBS that relies on OTA for locals at the moment, this could also be a factor.

Now, I'm sure Voom would have liked to activate 321, 593, 594 for everyone but they can't because NBC has dictated their stupid O&O rules regarding OTA and retransmitting signals. I was very confused by this as well, but it IS coming from NBC, it's even on their web site and they list their O&O stations and which areas can get NBC-HD.

It could be E* and D* worked out a seperate deal? Maybe because they retransmit their local analog signals anyway this doesn't apply? I'm not sure, but I do suspect that if another network covered the Olympics it wouldn't be such a fiasco.

OK, I was really asking if anyone knew the real story. What is obvious is that there are many different rules being used here, besides the O&O, NBC rules. BTW- I have also observed a variation in application of blackout rules between D* and E* and V* I'm guessing there are mistakes being made at the DBS level. I don't have digital cable here so I can't checkout Comcast.

E* and D* did not observe the blackout rules in my area. I wrote several letters about this, according to ESPN they have to follow MLB rules with regards to blackouts which Voom did. However this last week the Marlins played the Cardinals to a non-sellout crowd at the Pro, and it was aired on ESPNHD which I got to see (yes!) on Voom. Technically it should have been blacked out again locally...maybe Voom got in someone's face about it.

Dvlos said:
It could be E* and D* worked out a seperate deal? Maybe because they retransmit their local analog signals anyway this doesn't apply?

E* and D* along with NBC requested permission from the local network affiliates to make the delayed HD feed available to satellite subscribers in their DMA. Some station managers said yes some said no. I'm sure it helped that E* and D* already have working relationships with most of the affiliates, something that V* lacks.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)