on-demand error codes DirecTV has never heard of

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ppaz

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
MA
I can put almost anything into my Queue and 90% of it will cancel itself.
The history shows that two things occurred when a show cancels, one listed right after the other:

This showing was canceled because of an unexpected error. (1011)

Program was unable to download. (3005)

No one at DirecTV, leading all the way up to the Customer Advocacy team in Idaho, can tell me why this is happening. I have the HR24 hardwired to my verizon modem.

anyone here want to take a stab at what's going on?

DirecTV is coming out on Monday to try and see if the HR23 will work - nothing like downgrading your system lol

a little further description of what exactly happens:

I go into on-demand, pick any show, and most often when I hit add to queue, it'll add it and then within half a second, delete itself and disappear out of the queue. I then go back to the show, add it to the queue again, and it'll delete itself again. My record is 5 times entering a show before it actually stayed and downloaded itself.

I can also add 5 shows and it'll download the first, delete the 2nd and 3rd, download the 4th, and delete the 5th. There is no rhyme or reason what show, what channel it's from, how long it is, how many shows in the queue.....

yay directv!
new customer starting 5/25/2010 - it's 8/15/2010 and I still haven't had a 100% perfectly operating system - experienced over 8 separate issues, have had 4 service calls, and now this is the last issue to fix, the on-demand problem.... I've gotten over $60 in credit and a free upgrade to the hr24... if they can't fix this on-demand problem, what do you think I should ask for next? They already covered my first installment of payment for NFL Sunday Ticket, so I think I'll see if they'll go for another installment, another $45...

Hmmm; have you tried changing the DNS server in advanced network settings?

Here's a Google tool for finding alternate DNS servers using your PC: Downloads - namebench - Project Hosting on Google Code

in my computer, no I haven't touched that

in my DirecTV setup, I don't have a DNS server listed....
all that is there is my IP, a subnet, and at the bottom, the MAC Address
DNS and Default Gateway are both blank

you think this could be the problem?

I've had no issues with verizon's internet service at all - it's been continuously running fine since 5/25

in my many phonecalls and service calls, I don't recall once going over or changing any of these advanced settings with anyone from Directv

You should have a DNS server and Gateway listed in system setup/more info. It may only be your router's IP for both. If not, use the router's IP as gateway but try different DNS servers to see if that helps any. I've experienced some odd VOD issues this past week which may be a Directv server issue; a few issues were confirmed with other forum members.

I'm surprised Directv didn't ask you to change it with the unexpected error.

BTW, I suggested the PC be used to find a good DNS server for your area. You may not actually need it for browsing with the PC.

You should have a DNS server and Gateway listed in system setup/more info. It may only be your router's IP for both. If not, use the router's IP as gateway but try different DNS servers to see if that helps any. I've experienced some odd VOD issues this past week which may be a Directv server issue; a few issues were confirmed with other forum members.

BTW, I suggested the PC be used to find a good DNS server for your area. You may not actually need it for browsing with the PC.

Oh wait, don't get mad, just remembered my dvr is not plugged into the router right now. That's prob why those are blank doh

alright, sorry about that - it's plugged back into the router and the DNS and Default Gateway are both filled in with the same ip address, presumably for my router.

I ran namebench and I am using the fastest and best DNS server in my area - the 2nd and 3rd aren't even that close in overall ability

Last edited:
The most likely thing to happen with the HR23 is very laggy response times for the DVR software and a continuation of your same issue. I'd try anything on the planet before downgrading to a machine with the reputation it has.

ppaz are you using static assigned IP's in your home network for all your devices??

Last edited:
The most likely thing to happen with the HR23 is very laggy response times for the DVR software and a continuation of your same issue. I'd try anything on the planet before downgrading to a machine with the reputation it has.

thanks for the heads up! I'll make sure they don't leave me with anything but an hr24

ppaz are you using static assigned IP's in your home network for all your devices??

how do I find out the answer to your question?
I'm not sure

did you manually setup / enter IP addresses into each of your devices within the same IP range on your router and each device? one guess is that if you are allowing everything to constantly be dynamically assigned you could be having IP conflicts that cause the device network connection to fail, reconnect, fail, etc.

did you manually setup / enter IP addresses into each of your devices within the same IP range on your router and each device? one guess is that if you are allowing everything to constantly be dynamically assigned you could be having IP conflicts that cause the device network connection to fail, reconnect, fail, etc.

no, I've never entered a single IP address in manually
does that help?

my current setup doesn't allow for the directv receiver to be hooked up to the router while my office computer is also hooked up. so I only hook up the dvr to the router once a week to do my downloading. when I do this, I unplug router from PC, plug router into the dvr, reboot both, and bammo, start adding things to the queue

no, I've never entered a single IP address in manually
does that help?

my current setup doesn't allow for the directv receiver to be hooked up to the router while my office computer is also hooked up. so I only hook up the dvr to the router once a week to do my downloading. when I do this, I unplug router from PC, plug router into the dvr, reboot both, and bammo, start adding things to the queue

hmmm, sounds like some issues with this setup IMHO. You should be able to, and you really need/want, to have it all connected at the same time.

you also should explore manually assigning static IPs to avoid any possible conflicts / collisions.

hmmm, sounds like some issues with this setup IMHO. You should be able to, and you really need/want, to have it all connected at the same time.

this setup is just a personal choice actually.
there is only one place for the router to plug into in my house, which is my office. I don't currently have cords long enough to run out from the office to the living room that can be neatly hammered along the wall. I need at least 100 feet of phone wire and about 75 feet of CAT5 and I don't either yet. when the dvr is hooked up, I have cords running all through my house on the floor through the living room and because of that and the lack of a cord long enough, I don't keep the dvr hooked up to the modem regularly. it's not that I can't, it's just an eyesore.

I have done this same method for my home theater system (unplug router from pc, plug into HTIB, reboot) to go online and get the latest firmware update and that worked fine, and the Wii uses my router wirelessly, and I have a laptop - those are all the devices that currently do, or have used this router without a problem - it's just been the dvr that's had any issue.

so you think this switching the router between pc and dvr, rebooting it and dynamically reassigning IPs might be what's causing these random download failures?

you also should explore manually assigning static IPs to avoid any possible conflicts / collisions.

yeah, after thinking about it while I was writing this post above, I think you're right. it's best to just set up everything permanently and then do the manual assignment....
thanks, I'll let everyone know what the DirecTV guy says today, but after he leaves, I'll head out and get those longer cables and wall ties....

thank you!

guess who called to say they're running late for their appointment!! lol

I swear my directv account is cursed

what a friggin joke!!!
wow

this guy shows up LATE and then he only has Hr21s on his truck, so he offers to replace my hr24 with an hr21 which I refuse. he then offers to hook up the hr23 that DirecTV sent but I say that the older model shouldn't work better than the newer model, to which he agrees. he then says there's basically nothing he can do to help me so he canceled the work order

now I'm back with the Office of the President's customer advocacy team and they're sending me a new hr24 to replace this one

un-fricking-real

oh and turns out that the HR23 that was sent to me needs a DECA to work, which of course I didn't know and of course I wasn't sent one, so they sent me a dvr to try and fix a problem, but didn't send me all the equipment to hook that dvr up

aaaaaaaawesome

ppaz said:
oh and turns out that the HR23 that was sent to me needs a DECA to work, which of course I didn't know and of course I wasn't sent one, so they sent me a dvr to try and fix a problem, but didn't send me all the equipment to hook that dvr up

aaaaaaaawesome

Wow. Well, on the rare occasion that my on demand download stops itself on my HR24s, I always do a reboot and remove the queue and try again and it works. That is pretty ridiculous that they assume that the receiver has to be the issue anyway. It could just as easily be an issue between DirecTV and your internet provider.

Have you headed out to get those cables and wall ties yet?

It's a bit inconvenient to wait (again) but you have an opportunity to get your network set up properly in the interim. I'd go ahead and test some VOD d/ls after cabling and setting the static IPs and experiment further with the DNS server IPs you gathered with namebench.

BTW, is the HD-DVR the only Directv box you have or are your using the Whole Home DVR service? I ask because there's also another INTERNET Connection Kit using DECA that may be easier to install.

Good luck!

Have you headed out to get those cables and wall ties yet?

It's a bit inconvenient to wait (again) but you have an opportunity to get your network set up properly in the interim. I'd go ahead and test some VOD d/ls after cabling and setting the static IPs and experiment further with the DNS server IPs you gathered with namebench.

BTW, is the HD-DVR the only Directv box you have or are your using the Whole Home DVR service? I ask because there's also another INTERNET Connection Kit using DECA that may be easier to install.

Good luck!

argh no, spent all day waiting for my appt and then got too annoyed to even deal with it anymore tonight.

but I did speak with a tech support guy at Verizon who told me that bc it's DSL, there shouldn't be any issues with dynamic IPs - he said that couldn't be the case bc it was DSL - does that sound right?

here's a better idea of my setup, I just put this up on the DirecTV Tech forums to see if any of their gurus could help:

"here's what I can tell you without having to go out into my yard and physically look at the dish:

the dish does have four cables coming out of it that are trenched to my house and go into to my basement
I have an H21 standard def in my bedroom - that was where the MRV was originally located.
the H21 is currently connected via a single coax B-Band converter that comes straight out of the floor

the living room has the HR24 - it has two coax cables that are also B-Band converters plugged directly into the back and those also come straight out of the floor. the only other thing plugged in is the phone line, power cord, and hdmi"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)