On Demand/Pay per view Question

chriswx

Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
CT
Hi there,

I just have one more question, before I decide to cancel Comcast and take the Dish Network plunge. I'm just trying to decide if I should get their DVR service and I was just wondering if DVR service is required to purchase Video On Demand or pay per view movies? Can you do this without the DVR? I've never used a DVR before but saw it would cost $7.00 more a month for the service. Since I already have a VCR that records fine, I could never understand why I should pay more every month for a DVR. But, if someone here can offer me a compelling reason to get it, I'll consider it.

But, if you do need DVR service for the on demand selection, does Dish offer anything other than movies? Like... kids shows, etc?

I'm almost all set to cancel Comcast because Dish Network will save me money. But, my wife does not want to part with Comcast's On Demand selection... which I'm not sure Dish Network can match.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

if you are worried about the $7 a month fee, remeber comcast is much more than that. once you have a DVR you will wonder how you lived without it.

Last edited:
A DVR is much easier to use. Dish DVRs have a 30 second skip ahead button that let's you zoom past commercials. And a skip back button.

With a VCR you will have to program two devices - the VCR by time & the sat box to tune to the program you want. As opposed to just clicking on the EPG for what you want.

Dish has a form of VOD. You can watch stuff they have preloaded onto a part of the HDD that is reserved for the purpose, or pick a program from the stream from the satellites. Or get on demand a program dl to your DVR via broadband. This last option works, and is getting better, but is not as good as your cable VOD. Finding what you want is not as easy, and depending upon your Internet speed, can take a while to dl. Still, to many of us, it beats a drive to the rental store.

Being able to time shift just one show per month makes the DVR worth the price difference. Being a slave to live TV is a real downer.

My wife & I watch nothing live. See only those commercials we want.

My son, before his return to the hospital, mostly watches live. Thinks we're nuts for not keeping up with the commercials. ??? Anyway, when he returns home, he'll never catch up on what we've recorded for him if he doesn't skip the commercials.

It's very true, a DVR will change the way you watch TV. It'll spoil you.

I've had nothing but dvrs now since 1999 , when I got my first webtv/dishplayer . Now all in my family and extended family have DISH and dvrs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts