on-demand problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikedz4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Why does it take 5 to 10 minutes for on demand to populate then when I select a title and want to go back to the on-demand menu it takes 3 minutes to load again.
My internet is dsl at 6megs down so it shouldn't take that long to populate should it and how can I fix this?

Direct has been having issues since the 14th. Also, have you tried rebooting your system, the SWM & your router & modem.

Ok. Just seems like it takes too long to load to me. Could it be the box and when will they fix the issue

How is your receiver connected to the internet?
If it's connected wirelessly you might not be getting anywhere near the speed you pay for..
Wireless can be affected by a lot of things.. Interference, walls between the router and the receiver, any of those will slow it down.
If it is wireless, try a speed test with another device from the same location. That should give you a better idea.
Be nice if direcTV would put a speed test in the software.

I can tell you that it was really slow yesterday, so it may have been a lot of congestion on the servers for Direct, if people were watching or downloading a particular movie, not a problem on your end. I am using the OpenDNS DNS IP for my HR44, which has helped out.

It downloads pretty fast just takes long time to show all the available selections

If it has been this whole week, write it up to the problems that Direct has been having. Most likely they are upgrading their infrastructure, or working with their provider that gets the OnDemand programming to them through the Fiber Optic network that they use at the VHO, are probably also in the process of upgrading, or replacing outdated equipment.

My receiver (HR34) has decided that it will not acknowledge the existence of all of the VOD channels, except 1000, A&E VOD, and Sunday Ticket VOD.

That's what I have too a hr34 receiver. The huge one. Who does the on demand server?

That's what I have too a hr34 receiver. The huge one. Who does the on demand server?
It all comes out of Castle Rock, CO, and Los Angeles. Like I stated, they are probably having issues somewhere between their broadcast centers and where the OnDemand originates from, due to most likely either a Fiber uplink issue, or a bad router or other equipment at a data center causing the problem.

Keep in mind that providers are also in the process of upgrading their equipment for a lot of them during this period, before the Olympics roll around again. You usually see a lot of changes in providers being able to have the ability of serving up the largest sporting event to the most customers, so that they have little down time, or good picture quality. The last thing providers ever want to hear from their customers, is that they were not able to watch the Olympics at the time they expected.

I am just putting the later out there, because the last time you saw providers doing mass updates on their infrastructure, was during the last Olympics.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)